The goal of this project is to create a collection of inexpensive maps of building floor plans in 25mm scale. The art is to be simple but functional. The intent of the maps is to have a set of buildings that can be quickly added to a play area as needed. I expect them to be used in conjunction with currently available tiles, mats, and 3d terrain pieces.
I have been making maps for my table top games for a long time now. For most of that time I have been drawing them out by hand in pencil on paper or wet erase marker on vinyl mats. I have recently started to use digital tools to create my maps and I love it.
I decided to run this kickstarter for several reasons:
- I have been creating maps for my games and I would like to share them.
- I think that there is a need for simple building floor plans for fantasy games. Things like shops, banks, houses, etc.
- I love modular terrain, but I also find preconfigured paper maps that I can grab and set on the table to be a fast and convenient alternative. But they need to be inexpensive.
- I have upgraded to a large format (11" x 17") printer and love it. I want to upgrade to a larger, preferably 24" x 36", printer so that I can work with larger maps without haveing to piece them together as I do now. Unfortunately those printers are very expensive (Typically $3'000.00+).
- I would also like to get a thermal laminating machine to produce more resilient maps.
- I would love it if the maps I create could fund the purchase of such a printer.
- Scale: 25 mm, or 1" = 5 ft.
- PDF Map size: Small = 8" x 10.5"
- --Medium = 10" x 16"
- --Large = 21" x 33"
- Physical map size: Currently 8.5" x 11" to 11" x 17", see stretch goals.
- Paper used: Small 24 lb, Medium: 20 lb to start, see stretch goals.
- Laminated: Not yet, see stretch goals.
- Color: Full color.
- Grid: 1" square, or no grid. See stretch goals for more options.
I am basing most of my designs off of the Room and buildings system from the "Pathfinder Ultimate Campaign" book from Paizo games, inc.
A few samples of the map quality:
Below are the maps that will be available to start, more will be added as the campaign stretch goals are met.
- Small Shop (Small = 8" x 10")
- Small Trade Shop (Small)
- Bank (Small)
- Granary (Small)
- House (Small)
- Library (Small)
- Magic Shop (Small)
- Mill (Small)
If you pledge at a level that grants a custom map you will submit a description of the building that you want: rooms, size, etc. and I will create a map for you. If you are using the Pathfinder Ultimate Campaign book from Paizo, inc. you can give me a list of the rooms from that system to be included in your map.
You will receive the map in PDF form and for the cost of postage a printed copy as well if desired. Unless the $5'000.00 stretch goal is met prints will be limited to 11" x 17" per page.
The large fortress is now available as an add on. It is composed of 7 large maps, about 21" x 33" each, and is currently available as PDF only.
- Large Fortress (7 large maps) - Digital only: +$10.00
- Upgrading the paper used on the Small maps to: 60 lb Grey paper: Add $5 per set. 110 lb White: Add $10 per set.
- Additional copies of the printed maps (only available to pledges that include the printed maps): $1.00 each for small 24 LB white, $1.50 each for 60lb grey, $2.00 each for 110 lb white.
$150 - 1 new medium ( 10" x 16") map added to each set A and B.
$200 - All printed maps on 24 lb paper.
$250 - 2 More small maps added to each Set A and Set B.
$300 - Heavier paper option for printed Maps.
$350 - 1 Medium Map added to Set A and Set B.
$400 - 1" Hex grid option for maps.
$450 - 2 Small Maps added to Set A and B.
$500 - Small printed maps will have a laminated option.
$550 - 1 new Large (21" x 33") map added to each Set A and Set B.
$600 - Additional grid option, chosen by backer vote.
$1'000 - Medium printed maps will have a laminated option.
$5'000 - Large 21" x 33" maps added to printed maps.
More stretch goals will be added as the campaign progresses
Risks and challenges
All of the usual risks associated with the production of physical goods apply here.
The main difference between this project and many others is that I am doing all of the production myself, from design to printing to shipping.
The two most important risks include the possible delays on delivery of raw materials causing delay in production, and accidental injury causing a delay. The first of these is not likely to cause a major delay, and the second is not likely to occur at all.
There are of course all of the unforeseen possibilities.
I have participated, as a backer, in numerous Kickstarter projects and I recognize the importance of keeping the backers well informed with frequent updates, and timely notification when delays are encountered.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (14 days)