We Have Stretch Goals!
We're a Staff Pick!
As Seen On
- Portland Tribute: Portland Made Wants You (Sept 15, 2015)
- Medium: Computer Literacy as Minimal Education (Sept 14, 2015)
- Slate France: Un livre pour initier les bébés au code informatique (Sept 8, 2015)
- Bustle: 'Boolean Logic For Babies' Kickstarter Wants To Teach Your Infant How To Get Their Computer Geek On From An Early Age (Sept 8, 2015)
- The Daily Dot: A computer scientist is writing a book about programming for babies (Sept 7, 2015)
Computers are a way of thinking, not merely electronics. The future belongs to those who can mentally navigate this complex world.
Remember that kid in school that just seemed to "get" computers? It's a skill that anyone can learn, it only takes growing up with the right mental toolkit. I’m Eric Redmond, and at one time I was that kid.
Today, I'm a computer scientist, author, and dad to (almost) two kids. I want them to understand the basics of these machines that are reshaping our society [more on what qualifies me to teach this subject below in the FAQ].
Computer Science for Babies started as a single cloth book I made for my daughter. It's aimed at ages 0mo+.
After showing the book to a few friends, I was encouraged to share the book with anyone who wants one. Hence, this Kickstarter!
- The Book You can get one of the first cloth, safe, machine washable "Boolean Logic for Babies" books with a teething ring that introduces babies to the most basic computer science concept.
- e-Book For those who live the digital life, the book will be available to download and readable on any modern tablet, like an iPad.
- Supporting Pamphlet For adults to understand and teach the importance of Boolean Logic, you can get a copy of "Boolean Logic for Grown Ups".
- Poster as a thank-you, you can get a small, high-quality poster featuring one of the Boolean Logic animals.
- The Custom Book We'll provide a limited supply of larger books with your baby's name embroidered on the cover, along with...
- A Sketch of one of the book's pages, hand drawn and signed by the author.
If we can raise $10,000, we'll be able to manufacture Computer Science for Babies book at a low enough price point. If we can raise $12,000, I have a goal to manufacture a board book to teach Counting in Binary for Toddlers for ages 18mo+. If we can stretch that to $15,000, I'll be able to release a workbook teaching Functions for Tots targeting ages 30mo+.
The book has been written, designed, prototyped, and play tested by our adorable QA department. We're aiming for shipment in early November.
Risks and challenges
Despite the fact that I've published several books, cloth books present a unique challenge. Manufacturing these books has much more in common with making plush toys than it does with the publishing industry.
Having said that, we're currently working with two different toy makers to fill any orders we get before the holidays. Posters and supporting materials orders will be handled by a traditional printing company.
Once they're made, we just need to package and ship the orders to all ends of the Earth. Digital copies will be emailed.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)