Big news! We've decided to unlock all the writing stretch goals for this project. This means every backer will be getting a 196-page book and/or PDF (as appropriate) now. This upgrade is a Kickstarter exclusive - our way of thanking those of you who have supported the project and helped bring it to life. The retail physical version will be a softcover and both print and PDF just 170-pages. Don't miss out - pledge today!
"Memories and possibilities are ever more hideous than realities."—H.P. Lovecraft
The award-winning Leagues of Cthulhu (voted Best RPG Expansion at UK Games Expo 2018 by the public) introduced the Lovecraft Mythos to the popular Leagues of Adventure roleplaying setting.
One of the core pieces of advice we gave inside was to keep the Mythos lean, not use it as a monster-of-the-week setting. So why the need for an expansion packed full of new character options, tomes, locations, and monsters?
Simply put, to give players and Gamemasters alike more options.
If exploring Arkham or Innsmouth is passé, why not have the globetrotters visit the Shrine of the Faceless Kami or the Desert of Wales? For those tired of using the Necronomicon, perhaps the globetrotters will risk their sanity perusing Genies in Arabian Folklore or The Woodman Diary. If the machinations of the Cthulu cult don't tickle your taste buds as your campaign's protagonists, try the League of the Black Sun or The Universal Hive.
Why not forget the waking world and journey into the fantastical Dreamlands? The second part of this book details the wondrous realms and terrifying beasts beyond the veil of sleep, as well as providing new player character options and Mythos rituals, books, and relics.
The Mythos should still remain lean, but now there's a wider choice on the menu for you to pick and choose from.
NOTE: To fully utilize this book you need Leagues of Adventure, Gothic Horror, and Cthulhu. There are two starter pledge levels that include everything you need to start playing.
As with the Leagues of Cthulhu core book, the Cthulhu Codicil will be printed in 6.69" x 9.61" (170 mm x 244 mm) format. The book is currently 170 pages, with black and white interior pages, and a full color hardcover.
The book is divided into two major sections.
Leagues of Cthulhu Codicil
- Characters: Whether your players are looking for new family lineages hiding terrible secrets, new Leagues to join, or give their characters a notable hindrance, this chapter gives them plenty of new options.
- Magic & Manuscripts: As if there wasn't enough madness at characters' fingertips, this chapter includes additional rituals, tomes, and relics. Formulae, found in Mythos tomes, allow characters to create Mythos-related relics, such as Powder of ibn-Ghazi, Incense Cones, and the drug Liao.
- Where Darkness Dwells: From lost cities to shrines and remote mountains to distant islands, there are another swathe of locations for characters to explore.
- Gods, Monsters, and Cultists: For those Gamemasters wanting more terrors, this chapter includes new lesser gods, monsters, cults, and NPCs. Learn the secrets of the The Black Scorpion Brotherhood, the barbaric practices of the Cult of the Red Leech, and how the Mythos relates to the Viking gods.
Realm of Morpheus: The Dreamlands
What is the Dreamlands?: A brief introduction to the Dreamlands, which lie beyond the veil of sleep.
- Dreamers: New options for globetrotters intent on exploring and shaping the Dreamlands.
- Magic & Manuscripts: Rules for entering and shaping the Dreamlands, as well as new rituals, books, and relics.
- Gazetteer of the Dreamlands: From quaint Ulthar to the great city of Celephaïs and the feared Plateau of Leng to the darkness of the Underworld, this chapter covers the many wondrous sites of the Dreamlands.
- Inhabitants of the Dreamlands: A bestiary of terrible creatures, including such entities as Gugs and Hunting Horrors, insidious cults, major personalities, and the cats of Ulthar.
With the bulk of the writing completed, we've got some sample pages to show you. Please note that the pages come from different chapters.
Please check out our recommended pledge levels below:
Contributor & Art Pledge Level Notes
The Mythos Author, Mythos Personality, Mythos Cult Leader, and My Little Mythos pledge levels allow you to contribute canonical material to the Leagues of Cthulhu line, for which you receive a Contributor credit in the book. Material submitted to Triple Ace Games for this purpose becomes our copyright.
Your contribution must be original work. It cannot make use of gods, monsters, books, relics, NPCs, places, and such like from any other author.
Backers of the Cat Lover and Dreamer pledge levels will need to provide three photos - full view, three-quarter view, and profile. This enables our artist to capture your likeness.
IMPORTANT: You must submit your work or art before the end of January 2019 for it to be included in the final book - we need time to have the work edited and laid out. If you fail to meet the deadline, the book will be published without your contribution and no refund will be offered.
The cost of shipping will be calculated and collected after the Kickstarter concludes based on the actual costs incurred to ship. We will collect this via a pledge manager program. All packages will be shipped with a tracking number where possible. Note that this does incur higher shipping costs.
The following costs are estimates only and are based purely on the weight of the Codicil only: UK £5, USA £15, EU £13, Rest of World £16.
All shipments will be sent from the UK. Please be aware that customers are responsible for paying any customs duties for their country.
Supporting our Kickstarter is easy! Just follow the steps below:
1. Choose the pledge level you want. We have all of our recommended pledges detailed below.
2. Click "BACK THIS PROJECT" and select your reward level (called REWARD) on the page following.
3. Pick any Add-Ons you want and add the price to your total pledge amount.
3. Enter your total amount. Shipping will be calculated and added on after the Kickstarter ends through Backerkit.
You are free to amend your pledge at any time using the green 'Manage My Pledge' button.
Mythos Style Chips - £12 (app. $15)
Leagues of Adventure Pencil - £2 (app. $3)
Our goal with this project is to fund this book and get the information into your hands. If we raise enough additional money, we'll unlock sanity-shattering stretch goals.
More Mythos: Extra Pages!
More Mythos: More Extra Pages!
More Mythos: Even More Extra Pages!
Damn My Eyes: Extra Art!
More Mythos: So Many Pages!
We'll add four pages of new material to the book.
Damn My Eyes: Extra Art!
We'll add four pieces of art to the book.
Like many of our previous Kickstarters, Wiggy has already finished writing and laying out in draft the text, so we're not asking you to fund his time and effort. We need your support to pay for the art and printing costs, thus enabling us to turn this book from a dream into reality.
Triple Ace Games began in 2008. The masterminds behind the company, Paul "Wiggy" Wade-Williams and Robin Elliott, had previously worked on The Savage World of Solomon Kane and Slipstream settings, among others, for Pinnacle Entertainment Group. Triple Ace Games has produced many popular settings, including Hellfrost, Leagues of Adventure, Leagues of Gothic Horror, and All for One: Regime Diabolique, plus the Rocket Race, Halfling Feast, and Cadaver card games. With many years of experience in the games industry, we continue to create fantastic games for everyone.
Risks and challenges
We have a great deal of experience in the field of games publishing, and we think we can deliver this project without problems.
However, things can go wrong with anything that goes into a manufacturing process. We have identified that delays in artwork delivery and delays in manufacturing could happen. So we have allowed additional time in our schedule to enable us to navigate any delay issues. If all goes to plan, we may even be able to deliver the project a little sooner.
We understand the printing process as we have printed a good number of books previous to this project, and we know how to communicate our ideas to the printer. We have discussed proofing requirements, so we know that when the printing press is started our book will match our specification requirements.
With projects like this there is nearly always something that costs more so it is good business sense to have some contingency for this, which we have built in to our costs.
With regard the dice stretch goal, our aim is to have everything ready to ship at the same time.
No matter what problems may occur we will always keep our backers and supporters informed of all issues so that you are aware of the situation and how we are dealing with it.
Learn about accountability on KickstarterLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (21 days)