A makeover for your window air conditioner that calms drip noises and helps keep birds away too.
Why the name Babilawn?
You might ask yourself "Why the name Babilawn?" Well the name is inspired by one of the 7 original wonders of the world - the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. They were supposedly renowned for their beauty and we wish for Babilawn to provide a little beauty to your world.
What we've done so far
- It all started with a simple sketch which led to creating and testing the initial concept.
- From this proof of concept we were able to design and develop an Alpha prototype using 3D CAD and SLS 3D printing.
- We tested the alpha prototype and noted some areas for improvement.
- We made the adjustments to the cad model and now, as it was featured in the video above, we have a fully functioning production-ready beta prototype that is patent pending.
- We conducted preliminary market analysis which includes evaluating demand, retail pricing, and competitive research.
- We sourced domestic and international manufacturing and fulfillment companies.
With your support we will be able to fund our first production run.
After successful funding:
- 30-days - Pre-production
- 30-days - Tool making
- 90-days - Production
- 2-weeks - Assembly
- 3-weeks - Ocean shipping
- 2-week - Processing
- 1-week - Shipping to supporters
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
As two designers bringing to life a "mass" product on our own for the first time and after hearing horror stories of fulfilling Kickstarter projects, we decided the safest route is to leverage 3rd parties for production and fulfillment. Our biggest challenge is to identify the right partners. We have tapped our extended network to get leads on vendors who are cost-efficient, reliable, and most importantly, excited to work with a small team on this innovative product.
Babilawn was designed with mass manufacturing in mind. After vetting our potential partners through our network, we have identified several high quality manufacturers and fulfillment specialists. The inherent risk of our strategy is being able to communicate effectively with our partners; both of us have traveled extensively to Asia for sourcing/manufacturing and are experienced at managing these types of long-distance relationships successfully. We have also decided to leverage a domestic based fulfillment company because error-free communication is crucial at this stage of the process.
We are just waiting for final numbers to confirm who we will be working with. We are certain that we will be able to get all Babilawn products to you, our supporters, without a hitch.
The only remaining design challenge we have is to have the magnet molded into the grid instead of being mechanically inserted. By doing this, we would simplify final assembly, but we need to better understand from the manufacturer what is technically feasible. Right now we are parallel pathing both options and either way Babilawn will function flawlessly.
We look forward to having you join us in this journey!
Dan & Paul
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.