We did it!
The Murders & Acquisitions Kickstarter is a success.
On behalf of myself and the entire team, thank you for backing M&A. We hope you enjoy the murder and mayhem coming your way soon.
Keep an eye on the NerdBurger Games website for ongoing news.
And check out the NerdBurger Podcast. It's a weekly one-hour dose of nerdy/geeky talk slathered over with humor.
The Game Book
Every optional chapter made it into the book through stretch goals. Here’s a rundown of what will be in the game book.
- Introduction – The basics of the game and world setting.
- Chapter 1 – Character Creation – Complete rules for creating a Murders & Acquisitions character.
- Chapter 2 – Rule System – The core rule set for the game.
- Chapter 3 – Supervisor Guidelines – Advice and rules for GMs along with additional setting information.
- Chapter 4 – Friends & Enemies – Stat blocks for a wide variety of NPCs.
- Chapter 5 – Story Ideas – A guide for creating adventures in the world of Murders & Acquisitions.
- Chapter 6 - Magic & Spellcasting - Spellcasting rules and magic items. Also, some magical traps and a company that utilizes magic in its dealings.
- Chapter 7 - Monsters & Templates - Monster bloodline templates for characters. Also, a whole bunch of monsters and a company run by monsters.
- Chapter 8 - Future Tech - Rules for cybertech and nanotech. Additionally, some tech monsters and a company that wants to build a better you by sticking technology in your body.
- Chapter 9 - Cosmic Horror - Dark magic, some artifacts, and insanity. Also, some fell creatures from beyond the edges of our reality and a company that has made a pact with one such horror.
- Chapter 10 - Apocalypses & Mutations - Guidelines for different types of apocalypses as well as character (and monster) mutations. In addition, some apocalyptic monsters and dangerous wild animals.
Murders & Acquisitions is a tabletop RPG of subterfuge, espionage, intrigue, theft, and murder in an absurd corporate world. Everything you need to play will be contained in a single game book. A variety of PDF support materials will also be provided.
The players portray corporate go-getters who are willing to climb the corporate ladder by any means necessary. You might sabotage a rival’s pet project, steal his secrets, destroy him socially, or simply kill him and cover it up. Lie, kill, steal – it’s all fair game in a cut-throat corporate world. You can create a character in a matter of minutes. Resources in the book allow a GM to craft an adventure quickly and fill in the blanks as the group plays.
Murders & Acquisitions utilizes a simple, dice-based system for task resolution. Skills are rated with a die type, from d4 to d12. You roll that skill die plus a d6, add the results, and compare the total to a target number. There are ways to bump the die types up or down based on circumstances, as well as ways to gain additional dice to roll. Each action is resolved with one die roll. Both success/failure as well as degree of success/failure are resolved with one roll.
The core game is set in an alternate version of our own real world. Stretch goals will add a series of optional, modular add-on rules that bring a variety of fantastical elements to the game. These add-on rules can be mixed and matched to create a more complex, unique version of the Murders & Acquisitions game for everyone to enjoy.
Where the Money Goes:
Your pledge will go toward funding the artwork remaining to be done. Some of your money will go to editors and the layout guy. Funds will also pay design contributors. A wide variety of people have contributed to Murders & Acquisitions simply because they love the game and believe in it. They all deserve a fair rate for their work.
My name is Craig Campbell. I've been doing freelance RPG design for over a decade and have over thirty published credits for Dungeons & Dragons, Gamma World, Pathfinder, and Iron Kingdoms, most of them in the past six years or so.
A variety of other designers, writers, and artists have contributed to M&A. Here they are:
Additional Design: Tim Eagon, Dale A. Gaus, Ray Franklin
Editorial Assistance: Carol Darnell, Chris S. Sims
Artwork: Becca Gowdy, Ben Herrera, James McLaughlin, Quinn McSherry, Jason Moser, Jen Sorrell, Beth Varni, Lindsey Wagner
Graphic Design: Jen Sorrell
Additional Graphics: Andy Madsen, Matthew Sulhoff
Layout: Michael Brock
Fiction: Jim Owczarski
Kickstarter Video: Michelle Owczarski
“I wasn’t sure what I was going to get when Craig sent me Murders & Acquisitions, but I can happily report it’s a fun little game perfect for roleplaying through the madness and murkiness of corporate America. The game engine looks fast-paced and dice rolling features several neat tricks to make task resolution more than just pass-fail. Recommended.”
Rob Schwalb, Schwalb Entertainment
“I think everyone can relate to the dread of having to wake up to go to the office on Monday and the occasional urge to strangle a coworker. Murders & Acquisitions is a little slice of revenge against corporate culture, a way to find some relief without having to look for a new job afterwards. Just don’t invite your boss to play.”
Jason Bulmahn, Paizo Publishing
“Murders & Acquisitions is set in a world that I've never seen before, but is at the same time immediately recognizable. I've never had more fun looking at a resume/character sheet and pretending to go to the office. Then again, if going to the office was this exciting, I'd be paying them."
David A. Lupo, New World Alchemy
There's a written review up from "Melvs," who is part of the RPG Academy Network. You can find it here:
A variety of support materials are part of this Kickstarter. These PDFs will be provided for free to all backers at the HIRED backer level and higher.
- A Form-Fillable PDF Character Sheet. This PDF has fields you can fill out in a PDF viewer. Ideal for people who want to keep their character sheet on a mobile device. You can also just print it and fill it in by hand. The character sheet will also be at the back of the book.
- Employee Rules One-Sheet. This PDF summarizes the basic rules into a quick-reference sheet. Ideal for new players, so you don't have to spend time digging through the book for the basic rules.
- GM Screen Pages. You can print this PDF on cardstock or put the pages in those generic GM screen dealies you can buy online. Portrait and landscape variants included.
- Archetype Character PDFs. These five form-fillable character sheet PDFs feature the five archetype characters presented in the book. Ideal for quick, pick-up and play adventures.
- Stat Block Templates. A series of stat block Word templates for NPCs, monsters, spells, cybertech, etc. will be provided. These templates will allow you to create your own content for the game in the style of the stat blocks present in the game book.
- Introductory Adventure. “Farewell, George Bertram” is an introductory adventure using just the core rule set. The characters help their boss dig up dirt on a rival to destroy him as one last act of defiance as the boss heads off to retirement.
- Magic & Monsters Adventure. "Binary" is an adventure featuring magic and monsters. The characters' coworkers have suddenly become perfect employees, toiling away at their computers. Strange. Why are they such good workers now? Someone or some THING is behind this.
- Future Tech and Cosmic Horror Adventure. "Leave of Absence" is an adventure featuring future tech and cosmic horror. One of the characters' best coworker friends has inexplicably disappeared. Other coworkers are suddenly "different". Something dark and foreboding is at work at Blackwell & Thorne. Will the characters escape with their sanity intact?
- Four-Part Mini-Campaign. "Deep in the Red" is a series of four adventures that you can play individually as one-shot games or as a mini-campaign. They can also be peppered into a longer campaign.
Ordering Hard Copies
The FULL BENEFITS, CORNER OFFICE, and CORNER OFFICE WITH A VIEW backer levels state that you will be able to purchase a soft- or hardcover copy through DriveThruRPG.com.
This means that when the book is done, you'll get a discount link that allows you to buy the book through DriveThruRPG's print-on-demand service at the cost it takes them to print and ship it. Creating an account at DriveThruRPG.com is fast and easy. Printing a book at cost is not expensive at all. Shipping costs will vary based on your location, but is generally not very expensive for most backers.
The cost depends on whether you order a soft- or hardcover copy of the game and on the final page count of the book. Approximate costs are provided below. These numbers assume printing in the US and shipping to backers in the US.
Softcover: $5.20 USD (printing) + $5.00 USD (shipping) = $10.20 USD
Hardcover: $9.90 USD (printing) + $6.00 USD (shipping) = $14.90 USD
The book can also be printed in the UK. The book can be shipped from either the US or UK to various locations around the world.
Go here to calculate the approximate printing cost from the UK. Input hardcover or softcover, B&W, and Large size, with a page count of 180.
Go here to see estimates for shipping to other countries.
Ordering Additional Copies of the Book
Backers at the FULL BENEFITS backer level and higher get one copy of the book through print-on-demand services at DriveThruRPG.com. There is an option for backers at these levels to order additional copies of the book.
You must abide by the following rules to order additional copies.
For each additional copy you wish to receive, add $10 to your pledge. When the Kickstarter ends, I’ll send every backer a survey. One of the items in the survey will ask you if you want additional copies of the book and, if so, how many. You respond with the number of additional copies you want (based on your “over-pledge.”) When the game is ready, you’ll receive multiple codes to use at DriveThruRPG.com based on the number of copies you want in total.
Note that the cost for the additional copies is less than the cost for the first copy you get. That first copy is, in turn, cheaper than what the book will cost when it’s available to the public after the Kickstarter rewards are sent out. You’re getting the best cost now by being a backer of the Murders & Acquisitions Kickstarter. Yay for you!
Your Likeness in an Illustration
Please read all of this before you back at the either of the CORNER OFFICE levels.
If you choose the CORNER OFFICE or CORNER OFFICE WITH A VIEW backer level, your likeness will be featured in an interior illustration.
When you back at this level, I will message you via Kickstarter ASAP and request your email so we can confer on your illustration.
The two illustration levels work a bit differently.
When I email you, I'll present a series of illustration options that you will choose from. The options are specific and based on particular needs I have for different types of illustrations to show certain things in the book.
You must choose an option and respond to me with your choice by midnight Eastern time three days after I send you the options. Failure to respond in three days may result in your favored option no longer being available if I have other CORNER OFFICE backers waiting to make their choices. So make sure to respond promptly.
Note that if you’re the last CORNER OFFICE backer, you won’t have an illustration option choice. But I promise that all of the options are interesting and will feature the backer’s likeness prominently.
CORNER OFFICE WITH A VIEW:
When I email you, we will confer on all of the specifics of your illustration. You’ll decide what you are doing, what your pose is, what you’re wearing. Everything.
This will be a collaborative process. The illustrations at this level need to be spread out among several chapters in the book. And we can’t have multiple backers with their “illustrated self” doing the same things. I’m sure we’ll find something that you’ll enjoy. I have lots of ideas. Feel free to offer your own when we talk, but keep in mind that I might have to say no to certain things if they’ve already been chosen by another backer.
Please respond to this discussion as quickly as possible so I can move on to other CORNER OFFICE WITH A VIEW backers quickly. Failure to respond within three days of me sending you the initial email may result in me moving you to the bottom of the list so I can move on to other backers. So make sure to respond promptly.
BOTH CORNER OFFICE BACKER LEVELS:
After the Kickstarter ends on Tuesday, June 7th, I will request one or more digital photos of you that I will provide to the artist creating your likeness. I might ask for specific poses/angles for these photos. These poses/angles will be tasteful. No weird stuff here.
You must send the requested photos to me by midnight Eastern time on Tuesday, June 14th. Failure to do so will result in your likeness NOT being included in the book and no refund will be given.
Please be absolutely certain that you can abide by these rules when you choose either of the CORNER OFFICE backer levels. Artwork schedules are very tight and the artists will begin work within days of the Kickstarter ending. Waiting on one person’s photos will push the schedule back for EVERYONE backing the game. And that’s not fair.
Risks and challenges
We understand the challenges of successfully fulfilling a crowdfunding campaign. We've studied the Kickstarter process for many months and conferred with several successful Kickstarter creators about the pitfalls of fulfilling a successful Kickstarter.
To alleviate your concerns and our stress levels, we’ve gotten as far out in front of everything as we can. All game content, including all support material, is completely written and ready to go. Editing and layout are underway. Artists are ready to receive art orders the day after the Kickstarter ends.
Barring illness or the apocalypse, we are confident we will receive final artwork, finalize layout, proof everything, and get the game to you by the end of 2016. NerdBurger Games is committed to establishing itself as a game company that turns around Kickstarter rewards in an efficient and timely manner.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)