We post new artwork in the Updates section almost daily! We ship all pledge levels worldwide. Please see FAQ for shipping clarifications and a description of the book's contents.
“The Company told you it was going to be a mop up operation. Quick and easy. Communications go down on remote frontier worlds all the time, and it should only take a few hours to fix it. Then back on the drop-ship for a boring ride home.
The Zen just got vaporized. The shot ticker on your pulse weapon reads ‘7.’ You’ve got one plasma grenade left, and your helmet HUD shows telltales for 50 unidentified signals closing in on your position. The Ram just charged out of the trench. As he exits the ditch, you can see the Orion has spray painted his armor day-glow orange. The Eridani Swordsaint is meditating. The Phentari is compulsively revving a chainsaw in one set of tentacles and clutching a flamethrower in the other set. The Chatilian empath is whining about how he hasn’t made anyone’s head explode in the last two days, and you have no idea where the Keen scout is because he’s damn near invisible when he changes color. Just another day at the office. Lock-n-Load.”
What is Battlelords?
Battlelords is a game set in a dangerous future. An Alliance of Humans and aliens is fighting for survival. The Ak-Nar-Ryn (aka “Arachnids”) have destroyed worlds and decimated populations as they advance into Alliance territory. Against the backdrop of war, players can take the fight to the Ak-Nar-Ryn, become explorers seeking new aliens species for allies and technology or participate in espionage to further the goals of their corporate backers.
There are many core species and each has their specialty and their own story. You can play as a Chatilian so you can read minds and use mental powers. Be the ultimate infiltration specialist as a Mazian transforming to look like a Human, or a tree, or a desk, or pretty much anything else you can think of. If you'd like to go with brute strength, pick a Pythonian and throw someone for distance. Play a cunning and ruthless Phentari and make your enemies suffer. There are 15 different species to choose from!
Give your character depth through the “growing up tables”. Roll well and you could find yourself the owner of a starship or and incredible fortune. Roll poorly and you might be labeled an informant with a contract to end your character’s existence. Expand the story with skill choices to fit your goals and equip your character with arms and armor to keep them safe.
Choose a path through life in a dangerous future. Be a pirate, a mercenary, an adventurer exploring a rift in space, a spy, or a hero. On the right adventure, it could be all of the above. Write your own stories in a big universe of adventures. The possibilities are as limitless as the stars.
The game offers:
- 15 different highly detailed species to choose from as a character.
- An expansive, galaxy spanning setting, with limitless potential.
- Detailed setting information for running a campaign for Alliance soldiers, mercenaries, pirates, spies, and corporate espionage agents
- Pre-made teams, ready to play.
- Armor ranges from light body armor, to mechanized battle armor, to the massive walking tanks called Ultra Armor.
- Each suit of armor is highly customizable, with over a 150 options to choose from.
- Over a dozen weapon systems, and hundreds of weapons to equip your character. Arm yourself with lasers, disintegrators, pulse weapons, grav sheers, grenade launchers, frost guns, and Omega weapons, just to name a few.
This project will be EU/UK Friendly. We’ve engaged a company in the UK for fulfillment (Gamesquest) throughout the EU, the UK and Asia-Pacific. See FAQ for shipping outside of the US. The shipping charges will be collected via Backerkit. For the US, shipping will be included within the pledges for the hardback tiers.
The first edition was released in 1990 by Lawrence R Sims.
About Battlelords, Seventh Edition
Battlelords, Seventh Edition is a full color, gloss hardcover tabletop RPG book. It contains rules for character creation, game play, equipment, sample teams and setting information. This edition will have all of the core rules in one book. The book is estimated to be 360 pages with color artwork in a hardback, lay flat, Smyth sewn binding. The cover here below is near final. The layout isn't finalized.
What’s New in the Seventh Edition?
- New Standard Species – New species to highlight the diversity of the setting. The revised genetically engineered, human-rabbit hybrid called the Fott. The revised Goola, now winged insects, and a new species the Keen. The Keen are a gliding tree dwelling species with a chameleon's skin.
- Updated combat rules – simpler/faster rules for managing automatic weapon fire, faster hand to hand combat, and simplified armor tracking. All of this results in faster play while simulating the deadly nature of combat in the 23rd century.
- Streamlined skills – standardized skills to simplify game play
- Sample Teams – Prefab teams at varying levels of development for examples of balanced groups for various types of game play.
- Streamlined and clarified core rules that still maintain that Battlelords feel
- Revised armor mechanics that allows for broader customization of armor, in addition to easier tracking of installed armor options.
- Ultra Armor included in the core rules.
- Spacecraft and space combat rules included in the core rules.
- New artwork!! The artwork will all be in full color.
- Updated Equipment. We’ve had 25 years since 1st edition to figure out where technology is headed.
- Revised setting with more information about the Arachnids and a new foe, the promethean Veayan.
Our Open Playtest of the Battlelords, Seventh Edition system has started, and will continue into November 2017. You can download the playtest packet for free on drivethrurpg.com.
The first stretch goal is posted as an update. We have several more planned.
- "Armor Up!" PDF - $16k - COMPLETE
- Artists get a Bonus - $17k - COMPLETE
- "Uncle Ernie's .." (More Alien Creatures) PDF - $18k - In Progress
- Artists get additional Bonus - $19k -
At the lower prize levels, you can get a copy of the 6th Edition Battlelords in PDF.
at $100 and up we're throwing in other PDFs from the past including:
- 6th Edition Core Rules
- No Man’s Land
- Lock N Load Armor Equipment and Cybernetics
- Lock N Load Weapons & Tactics
- Lock N Lock Reloaded
- Galactic Underground
- Engines of War
- Beyond the Rift
- Galactic Underground 2
- Galactic Underground 3
- Uncle Ernie's Minions of Doom*
- Hell’s Kitchen*
If we can find it, we’ll come up with a scanned version of Injection*
* PDF Content with an asterisk may be a scanned version of the content.
We're timing our print version to be released at GenCon 2018, so our print product is targeted to ship in August right before Gencon. The PDF version will be ready in June as we go to final print.
The Creative Team
Battlelords was originally created by Lawrence Sims and later expanded by Mike Osadciw, Aaron Thies, et al.
Seventh Edition developed by Anthony Oliveira, David Soruco, Kurtis Willis in partnership with SSDC, Inc.
Authors include Ray Hedman, Anthony Oliveira, David Soruco, Michelle Soruco, Joseph Soruco, Keith Soruco, Lindsey Soruco, and Kurtis Willis.
Logo, layout design, and marketing consulting by Andrew Curtis.
Cover art by Kiki "Kay Kay" Kurnia.
About 23rd Century Productions
We are a small, independent with four active members (Anthony Oliveira, David Soruco, Michelle Soruco, Kurtis Willis) and volunteer contributors (Andrew Curtis, Ray Hedman, Joseph Soruco, Keith Soruco, Lindsey Soruco). We have RPG game industry experience via prior companies (Pulsar Games) and previous work on Battlelords done in collaboration with SSDC. Our active members have experience publishing books directly and we’ll be selling traditional print run books through game distributors to your friendly neighborhood game store. We will also offer electronic formats. We are partnered with fulfillment companies to reach North America, UK, EU, and the Asia Pacific region.
Devious Squrl designs
Narrator: Jim Ream
Thank You For Your Support!
As a small publisher, navigating the waters of RPG publishing is always difficult. The $15k goal plus our company funds will support a print run of books. The stretch goals will give us a strong enough balance sheet to generate additional small projects and prepare us for the next big project. The better off we kick start, the easier it will be to hit our strategy of releases we have planned. We appreciate you supporting us! Please check out the battlelords group on www.facebook.com/battlelords, our instagram page at: www.instagram.com/battlelords_of_the_23rdCentury, and our company website at http://23rdcentury.net to keep in touch with us!
Risks and challenges
Battlelords, Seventh Edition, is a large complicated book. The production process for the book is underway. We’ve already got the layout and have already received some of the initial artwork. Most of the systems changes are already complete. Join our Open Playtest to get a feel for the gameplay and the setting. 23rd Century Productions is a small privately owned company. As an owner operated company, we value the health and happiness of our owners, volunteers and freelancers, which can result in unforeseen delays. We know from prior experience what pace we need to hit to deliver. We also have funding lined up for a small print run and the Kickstarter’s goal is to provide backing for a larger print run. We will print Battlelords, Seventh Edition, with a printer in the US and ship via fulfillment companies in the US and the UK to the backers. Store owners will be able to pick up product through distributors. Our goal was to keep this project simple so we’re only shipping the Hardcover book and providing the rest electronically. WE DO SHIP WORLDWIDE (with some exceptions) FOR ALL PLEDGE LEVELS THAT HAVE A PRINTED BOOK. Please note: International shipping is IN ADDITION to your pledge amount, and will be handled by BackerKit after the Kickstarter funds. Please check the FAQ for international shipping rates.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)