"Former President Richard Nixon proclaimed the last Friday in April as National Arbor Day during his presidency in 1970." ~ http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/arbor-day-nebraska
"The cross appears to be full of contradictions.
1. It saddens us - but it gives us joy.
2. It was tragic - but it was glorious.
3. It was Satan’s victory - but it was also Satan’s defeat.
4. It brought shame to mankind - but it also brought glory and honor.
5. It shows God’s hatred of sin - but His love for the sinner.
6. It brought death - but it also brought life.
7. On the cross, Jesus won by losing, and He overcame by surrendering.
1 Corinthians 1:18 - For the message of the cross is foolishness
The Dogwood tree when it is in full bloom reminds us of Jesus.
In it, we see the cross.
In it, we see the nail prints in the hands and feet of Jesus.
In it, we see the crown of thorns He wore on His head.
Whether or not the Legend of the Dogwood Tree is true…
Really doesn’t matter.
What counts is what we think of when we see the tree’s bloom.
The Dogwood tree blooms near the time of Easter.
It comes at a time when the tree is entering new life.
After enduring the harshness of winter, …"
~ The Legend of the Dogwood - Sermon shared by David Rigg (May 2008)