READ AN EXCERPT FROM RISE OF THE GOLDEN AURA:
READ THE VOICE OF AMERICA INTERVIEW:
By cosmic or spiritual energy, we made a special connection. At that moment, I pledged that I would write a novel that would feature this enigmatic temple.
In 2012, the Year of the Dragon, I began writing Rise Of The Golden Aura that features a Cambodian-American teenager (JD Bophatip) as its main character.
On June 29, 2013, I pitched Rise Of The Golden Aura to the California Institute of Contemporary Arts. They were so enthusiastic that the next day they awarded me more than I asked.
Rise Of The Golden Aura is set in Cambodia and America. It is a young adult vampire-romance fantasy with a cross-cultural theme. The concept of Asian vampire myth and folklore is a fresh new take on the previous portrayals of vampire culture. It will resonate with people around the world, especially young girls and women. It will appeal to fans of Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight series and fans of P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast’s House of Night series, just to name a few.
In Cambodia, there are signs, for those who can read them. A Radio Free Asia interview documents a blind man’s vision—that ancient royalty will reincarnate as a queen with supernatural gifts, and an aura that can be seen only by those who belong to the spirit world.
Halfway around the world, in Portland, Oregon, high school student JD Bophatip, dutiful daughter of a successful immigrant mother, takes a leap into her American life when she is inspired to compete for the title of Queen of Rosaria in the Portland Rose Festival. Then her life takes an even more unexpected turn, and not just because of the charming, enigmatic Ryker Erickson.
With his tall, handsome physique, melodic voice, and mystical air, Ryker is irresistible. But Ryker, too, is powerfully struck—by the mystery of JD’s glowing, golden aura.
As JD and Ryker grow closer to each other, and closer to understanding each other’s secrets, JD’s dreams become increasingly prophetic. Struggling to understand a mysterious gift containing Sanskrit inscriptions and sacred jewels, JD seeks to harness her emerging powers in time to fulfill her destiny and save her life.
For Ryker, a descendant of Vikings, belongs to a powerful circle of vampires. Vampires who have a vested interest in the politics of JD’s city and state—and the entire human realm. Vampires who have a prophecy that a golden vampire will come to rule the vampire underworld. Vampires who will stop at nothing to destroy her.
PRAISE FROM THREE OF RISE OF THE GOLDEN AURA'S EDITORS:
“RISE OF THE GOLDEN AURA has cultural background that is rich and interesting. It gives everything a unique twist. It’s a great change from the “usual” vampires found in young adult books.”
“The vampire-romance-fantasy topic is in tune with what sells in today’s market. It has a popular audience. The vampire queen plot has potential to be immensely fascinating. This is a facet of vampire culture that has not yet been utilized within this culture.”
“As you predicted of American readers, I am indeed fascinated by the idea of the Cambodian vampire— this is a story of cross-cultural exploration in both human and vampire worlds! As a reader, I enjoy learning new things about different cultures and about different perspectives on the world. I also enjoyed the strong friendships between JD, Sam, Hayden, Nathan, and Tevy. You do an excellent job at moving between scenes, dialogue, and JD’s thoughts and description. I tend to think that first-person present tense narrative is complicated to write, but it sounds very natural when you do it: JD comes across as a very trustworthy narrator of her story.”
PRAISE FROM JULIA DRAKE, LOS ANGELES PUBLICIST:
“We read the chapter you sent and there is a lyrical beauty in your writing, a longing, that is spell-binding. We are hooked! Thank you so much for sharing.”
I need your financial support to get Rise Of The Golden Aura published. My first step is to raise funds to produce and publicize Rise Of The Golden Aura, so that it can reach the widest audience possible.
I ask you to Please JOIN the California Institute of the Arts in funding my project. And I ask you to further help me by spreading the word to your network. Your contributions will pay for copy editing, proofreading, book design, and distribution set-up. The rest will go toward fulfillment services, packaging materials, freight charges, Kickstarter campaign fees, and payment processing fees.
Your contributions are very important and will earn my deep appreciation in the form of rewards. Allow me to describe my cool rewards. Please read the full descriptions in the Rewards Section.
• RISE OF THE GOLDEN AURA FAN CLUB: No physical reward, but a digital “Thank you” from me.
• E-BOOK: You will receive a PDF, Mobi, or ePub version of Rise of the Golden Aura to read on your Kindle, Nook, iPad, iPhone and other mobile devices.
• RISE TO THE OCCASION: One unsigned first-edition hardcover of Rise of the Golden Aura.
• SIGNED HARDCOVER, PLUS SIGNED PHOTO: One autographed first-edition hardcover copy of Rise of the Golden Aura, and a signed, black and white 5x7 photo of me—a picture with important historical significance!
• SHARE THE FANTASTICAL WORLDS OF RISE OF THE GOLDEN AURA: Two signed first-edition hardcover copies of Rise of the Golden Aura. And would you like a signed black and white 5x7 photo to go with them? Done.
• THINK COLLECTIVELY WITH "RISE OF THE GOLDEN AURA": Three signed first-edition hardcover books and a signed 5x7 color photo of me wearing a beautiful Khmer classical costume, taken at OU (see above).
• BE A SPONSOR OF A LECTURE IN OREGON: For the Oregonians only. Be a sponsor of a lecture or organize a public lecture and I will speak at your high school, lecture hall, university, library or book club in Oregon.
• GOING NATIONAL. LOOKING FOR OUT-OF-STATE SPONSORS: This pitch is similar to the above, but it pertains to folks who live outside of Oregon. When you sponsor a lecture or organize a public lecture, in addition to me speaking about Rise of the Golden Aura, I will first perform a Khmer classical dance called the “Blessing Dance."
• GOING GLOBAL. ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD, INCLUDING THE GALAPAGOS ISLANDS. LOOKING FOR INTERNATIONAL SPONSORS: When you have something important to share with the world, you go the extra miles to do so, even though you don’t like to fly. For this very special reward, I will speak to your community about When Broken Glass Floats or Rise of the Golden Aura in addition to performing the “Blessing Dance”.
Risks and challenges
I am very confident that I can get my exciting and groundbreaking new novel to you by August 2016.
If there is a risk, it is minimal, and is only associated with a brief delay in sending the book out to you. That might be due to the availability of the copyeditor and publishing consultant with whom I would like to work in order to maintain the quality of my book. If that happens, I’ll call on Queen JD to do a flyby near your home to give you a heads-up.
For those backers who are movers and shakers who will invite me to speak, I kindly ask that you work with my schedule.
To make sure I get the novel to you in a timely manner, I have chosen Friesens in Canada as my printer, with a local company in Oregon to do the order fulfillment. This is getting so exciting. I’m jumping up and down right now!
Many thanks to all of you for helping to make my dream a reality. It is history in the making to bring new imagination and creativity to the popular vampire culture, so readers around the world can enjoy it as they escape to the new fantastical world of Oregon and the mystical realm of Cambodia.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (36 days)