Peter and the Wolf is re-imagined as Louis Armstrong and an all-star Jazz ensemble leading a journey to help save music education. Read more
This project's funding goal was
About this project
LOUIS AND THE GATOR
Louis and the Gator is an innovative music education project that takes us on an exciting journey through the birth of Jazz.
Much like its inspiration Peter and the Wolf, the story is a high-fidelity folktale. The setting is New Orleans at the beginning of the last century. An imagined all-star ensemble, featuring Louis Armstrong in the lead role, delivers the music-driven narrative. The resulting jam sessions supply an original, high-energy spin to the history of America's most original art form.
This Kickstarter campaign will fund:
- The recording, mixing and mastering of this incredible Jazz journey
- Plus, a LIVE all-ages performance of Louis and the Gator at a prestigious Regional performing arts venue to be announced!
Long-range plans for this exciting grassroots project will be the development of an interactive music and arts learning experience on DVD and on the Web and a LIVE performance tour that can take place in schools and communities across the Country... extending the reach of this one-of-a-kind initiative to help re-invigorate and save music education.
OK. SOUNDS GOOD ... BUT WHY RE-IMAGINE PETER AND THE WOLF?
In 1936, Sergei Prokofiev wrote Peter and the Wolf to teach children about orchestral music. The piece used personified instruments to tell a simple folktale providing for a profound learning experience about music and orchestral instrumentation.
It is the simplicity and brilliance of the Peter and The Wolf symphony that will make this project so effective in its goal to teach children of all ages about music.
Peter and the Wolf will be adapted and re-imagined to incorporate the instruments, players, style, culture and history of Jazz music with Louis Armstrong taking the place of the stories main character.
And what could be more significant than encouraging the creativity of our young people and developing an audience for America's home-grown classical music? The birth of Jazz music in New Orleans also preceded a huge cultural movement in America (The Jazz Age and Harlem Renaissance) that led to a proliferation of music, art and literature. This program aims to reconnect our youth to a musical heritage that has inspired and influenced some of the
greatest minds of all time.
YOUR CONTRIBUTION WILL HELP SAVE MUSIC EDUCATION!
Our goal is to develop and sustain a cost-effective, interactive music and arts curriculum that will introduce Jazz music to our target audience providing music education while creating a connection to our musical heritage.
Our vision is to use the Louis and the Gator recording to create an interactive DVD learning experience that can be implemented in schools across the Nation that lack access to music education.
Our mission is to compensate for lost music and arts education programming in our schools and communities.
With your help we will be well on our way!
1. How each instrument works.
2. The origins of Sergei Prokofiev and the original Peter and the Wolf
3. The Jazz styles of each artist: i.e. Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker, etc.
4. The Making of "Louis and the Gator"
5. An intro to the vocabulary of the orchestral arts.
There are only two universal languages in the world: numbers and music. No one would ever dream of discontinuing teaching math in the classroom. Studies have consistently shown that students in music programs score higher on standardized tests than students who are not exposed to music education. If students in the California school system continue to be deprived of music education, they will also be deprived of reaching their full academic and intellectual potential.
Schools are a critical link to music education, but they are often under-equipped and under-staffed to integrate the arts into school curricula. Many of this generation’s teachers were not exposed to the arts during their own elementary, high school, and professional educations. Furthermore, music education while valued and lauded for its positive impact on testing may not be the priority in a competitive landscape for meeting mandated educational standards.
This program aims to overcome these obstacles by providing a framework for easy lesson plan integration by ensuring that each lesson fulfills National Curriculum Standards for social studies, history, arts education/music, civics and government, and geography. Or, it can be taught just for fun!
• A sincere thank you on Facebook
• Listing in the closing credits of the DVD!
• I Heart Music Education Button or Sticker!Estimated delivery:
• All of the above plus a complimentary ticket to the LIVE performance of Louis and The Gator tentatively scheduled for the Winter of 2012.Estimated delivery:
• All of the above PLUS two (2) tickets to the LIVE performance of Louis and The Gator tentatively scheduled for the Winter of 2012.
• Limited edition show poster!Estimated delivery:
• All of the above PLUS two (2) complimentary tickets to any Harley White Jr. Orchestra performance in the future, including the Sizzling Sirens Burlesque!Estimated delivery:
• All of the above PLUS Louis and the Gator interactive music education DVD set!Estimated delivery:
• All of the above PLUS you will also be able to receive two (2) private music education lessons or one (1) jam session with Harley White Jr. OR VIP service at a future Harley White Jr. Orchestra performance for up to 10 people, includes admission, 1 bottle of champagne or wine and private seating!Estimated delivery:
• All of the above PLUS VIP service at a future Harley White Jr. Orchestra performance for up to 20 people, includes admission, 2 bottles of champagne or wine and private seating!
• Half-page recognition in the event program (if applicable)Estimated delivery:
• All of the above plus you will receive lightly catered, private performance with Harley White Jr. Orchestra for up to 100 people!
• Full-page recognition in the event program (if applicable)Estimated delivery:
• All of the above plus you will receive a HOLIDAY PARTY at Beatnik Studios fully-catered by MAGPIE (for 50-75 people), with a private performance with Harley White Jr. Orchestra! • Full-page recognition in the event program (if applicable)Estimated delivery:
- (60 days)