Nothing Fits is a graphic novel/comic project that myself (Mary Tamblyn) and my artist Alex McCrone, have been working on for about 2 and a half years.
You can read the whole comic here:
The seeds that started this story were planted nearly 12 years ago, when I was in Primary School, about 7 or 8 years old. I'd invented some characters, and written up a few descriptions and stories about them - and didn't do much with them, apart from some mental planning about what to do with them.
My Granny, who had seen the drawings and writings, would keep asking me what was going to happen, where was it going, when would I make more, and I'd always be vague about it. I wasn't confident in my writing or my art, so some part of me thought it would never get properly made, into a novel or a comic or anything.
Skipping forward to the end of my last year of high school, and I had still been thinking about the story, the characters had changed a lot, and there were many new ones, but I had still not managed to do anything with them. I had a friend, Alex, who was in my printmaking and sculpture classes, she was really good. Like, really really good. She made me an amazing Christmas card, where she'd drawn some of my characters in it.
In that instant I knew that we needed to make a comic together - and she was thinking the same thing when I asked her. We go together and by the 24th of December 2011, the first page of Nothing Fits was uploaded to the web.
The website we chose to host was: ComicFury! It offered free hosting, with fully customizable layouts and no advertising would be placed on our comic page. Really, really good hosting site and the people we've met on there have been a great motivation and inspiration to actually finish the comic - since both Alex and I often start projects and then never finish them. We really wouldn't be here now if it weren't for the great people on ComicFury.
We've come a long way, and we've learned a lot about writing and drawing and generally the whole comic making process. Finally, the story has come to an end, so we want to publish it! But being art students, we don't have enough money to just go print them, so we'd like to ask for your help!
We need $5000 dollars, this is for printing the actual books, for printing the A5 prints available in the rewards, art supplies for the handmade rewards and of course, paying Alex for her amazing effort and work she has put into this story.
$5000 New Zealand dollars is the equivalent of $4,084.25 US dollars, or £2,472.37 British pounds. I'm giving you this comparison for your convenience.
Here is a reward breakdown:
1. $1 NZD ($0.82 USD, £0.49 GBP): Digital thank you card! Sent to your email address, as a thanks for supporting us. This is a digital version of the 2. reward.
2. $5 NZD ($4.09 USD, £2.47 GBP): Physical thank you card! Printed and signed by Alex and Mary, thanking you for supporting us. This will have a picture drawn by Alex on the front and will have a nice thank you message on the inside.
3. $10 NZD ($8.17 USD, £4.95 GBP): Handmade physical thank you card, made by Mary and sent with love, thanking you for your lovely support. I'll be doing these on A5 sheets of watercolour paper and folding them in half and doing a nice picture of you/something else you want on the inside + a lovely thank you message (you'll need to tell me what you want a picture of and give me a reference if applicable, something that you need to do for ALL the rewards that are art requests).
4. $15 NZD ($12.26 USD, £7.42 GBP): Handmade physical thank you card + a choice of 1 of the 3 A5 prints available. Alex is going to design and make 3 A5 illustrations and we will print them, you get the choice out of the 3. She will be making them over the course of this Kickstarter, and we'll update here as she finishes them, so you can see.
5. $20 NZD ($16.34 USD, £9.89 GBP): Handmade card + choice of 2 of the 3 A5 prints available. Same as above, but the choice of two prints.
6. $35 NZD ($28.59 USD, £17.31 GBP): Copy of Nothing Fits + Handmade card + choice of 2 of the 3 A5 prints available. Same as previous plus the actual printed copy of the comic. Full colour, A4 sized, perfect binding, and includes some extra mini comics and blog content in the back.
7. $50 NZD ($40.84 USD, £24.72 GBP): Copy of Nothing Fits + Handmade card + a 1 character, spot colour commission from Alex.
8. $75 NZD ($61.26 USD, £37.09 GBP): Copy of Nothing Fits + Handmade card + all the A5 prints + a 1 character, spot colour commission from Alex. Same as above, but along with the prints as well.
9. $100 NZD ($81.69 USD, £49.44 GBP): Copy of Nothing Fits + Handmade card + all the A5 prints + a 1 or 2 character, simple background and colour, commission from Alex.
10. $150 NZD ($122.53 USD, £74.17 GBP): Copy of Nothing Fits + Handmade card + all the A5 prints + x2 one character, spot colour commission from Alex. So that's two of the spot colour ones.
10. $300 NZD ($245.06 USD, £148.34 GBP): Copy of Nothing Fits + Handmade card + all the A5 prints + x2 one character, spot colour commission from Alex + 1 watercolour scene commission from Alex. Two of the spot colours and one of the watercolour scenes.
12. $1000 NZD ($816.85 USD, £494.47 GBP): Though we doubt this will be claimed, a copy of Nothing Fits + Handmade card + all the A5 prints + x3 watercolour scene commission from Alex + a small Fimo figurine commission (of yourself or your character or a Nothing Fits character you like) + many thank you drawings from Mary.
So, to all those people who said: "I'll read it when it's printed." Now is your chance to help us be able to print it!
Risks and challenges
1. Possible printing problems: Potentially our printer of choice could pull out or run out of paper stock - I (Mary) have informed them of when we will pass on the files for printing to them (8th of March - ish), after the funding is complete. They said that's fine, even though their quotes only usually last for 20 days. If they pull out there are other print companies in Christchurch, all more expensive than our chosen one. If this happens, there are some international printing companies that we can go to, which will take more time to be printed, shipped to us, and then shipped on to our Backers. That would be unfortunate, but the comic would still arrive with the Backers this year, even if it is later in the year than we would have hoped.
We have never printed anything before, so the whole process might take a little longer than anticipated, but I think we have a realistic timeline. Hey, you might even get your rewards earlier than we expect!
2. Commissions taking longer than expected: There are approximate dates for shipping of the rewards which have commissions added, we don't know what will come up in life, and since Alex and I are university students, we don't know what assignments or tests we might have around those months right now. They could take a little longer to complete than expected, but if there are delays we will notify the Backers of this. Unexpected life things happen, and we don't want the qualify of your rewards to suffer.
3. Shipment might get lost in the post: This happens, and it sucks. I've had handmade cards I've spent a lot of time on be lost in the post and it's heartbreaking for both me and the receiver. If your reward gets lost please tell us! We will do our best to replace your rewards. Also we would appreciate email confirmation of receiving the rewards - just so we know you've got it and are happy with them.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)