Happy Monday! We hope your new year is off to a fine start. Want a song about the new year that not everyone knows? Try "This Will By My Year" by Semisonic. It's got a fine chorus, one might call it an Earworm!
In our last update we mentioned that we had finished sending everything off to our printer, PrintNinja, and we were awaiting a proof of the final product. On January 3rd we were told that our proof was being printed and we'd receive it in two weeks. Unfortunately that didn't seem to be the case as PN encountered some issues that were were told about last week on the 15th.
For those who don't know, before we begin the mass production of the game we are supposed to be sent a final proof of the finished product for us to evaluate before we pull the trigger. This final proof will show us what the game will look like in real life as opposed to what our digital mock-ups show us. We're VERY excited to see this, and were getting hyped up in early Jan thinking it'd arrive by now.
The first issue was that the formatting we received from PN was unrecognized by their own system. This was an easy fix as we spoke with them and identified the issue on their end quickly. A few days later they encountered an issue with alignment of some cards and we took a look at that and fixed it. All of these issues were items that we were quick to respond to and ready to take on at a moment's notice.
One last issue reared its head where PN encountered an unknown error with our files. The error was labeled as "meets unknown image structure" and we were quite befuddled by this considering the templates and file specifications were given to us by PN at the start of this process. PN encouraged us to go back to square one and flatten all of our final files to fix the issue, but this would've required a HUGE amount of work. Luckily, after a few e-mails back and forth, the printer discovered the issue was actually on their end and they were able to fix it on the 18th.
This morning we received another update from PrintNinja where they asked us to re-send some key files without the template dielines so they could get ahead of any imposition issues that may pop up. We've re-sent the requested files to PN and we're crossing our fingers that we're at the end of this process. If not, we'll update everyone in a later post.
With the issues outlined above, it looks incredibly unlikely that we'll hit our projected February 2019 shipping estimate due to Chinese New Year looming ahead so closely. We are very unhappy about the delay, but we are doing everything we can to deliver the game as soon as possible. We are hesitant to give a specific shipping window at the moment considering the final proof has not arrived, but as soon as we have one we'll update everyone accordingly!
We've been in touch with our shopping partner, eFulfillment Service, and they're ready to receive our games and ship them out to you as soon as possible.
Initially we were waiting to receive the final proof of the game to begin work on the theme songs for backers. As it stands now, we've begun pre-production on some of the songs. We're making some headway on lyrics, accompaniment, and are now organizing dates to get together to begin recording everything.
While not all of our updates can contain bright glowing happy news, we want to make sure we're being as transparent as possible with you on this journey.
~ The Earworm team and VStheUNIVERSE