Humankind has shoveled for centuries. A new way to shovel is possible with less bending and less effort, utilizing an Ergonomic Shovel Handle attachment that can turn any snow or garden shovel into an EZSHOVEL™.
EZSHOVEL-ing promotes proper lifting techniques and encourages standing straight while affording greater comfort and leverage.
EZSHOVEL™ is an Ergonomic Shovel Handle attachment that mounts onto any snow shovel or garden shovel. EZSHOVEL™'s patent pending features include:
• Offset Handle - allows for standing straighter and working with less bending and less twisting.
• Slides - forward and rearward for adjusting to the most comfortable position and to gain the best leverage. Holds firmly in place.
• Rotates - allows the shovel to rotate independently for tossing and unloading.
• Mounts - in seconds. No tools required.
• Fits - all snow shovels and garden shovels.
• Super Strong - EZSHOVEL™ is composed of super strong Glass-filled Nylon making it equal in strength to the shovel itself.
• Flashlight - an optional accessory that attaches to EZSHOVEL™ for illuminating the shovel and work area under low lighting conditions. The Flashlight will be made available after the successful completion of this campaign and as part of a separate campaign.
EZSHOVEL™ is the first of its kind, a new invention.
EZSHOVEL™ is the first Sliding Auxiliary Handle.
EZSHOVEL™ has its roots on Long Island in New York during the winter of 1993-1994. Record snowfalls in the United States northeast meant record snow shoveling.
While snow shoveling after one especially heavy snowfall, I had the kernel of an idea (like many people have had) that if my arm was long enough, I could stand straight and shovel snow without bending and straining.
So at that time I put together a simple device made out of wood and leather and string and proved the basic idea.
Eventually, when I became interested in composting, the long arm / long stick concept evolved into an improved version made from PVC pipe and stuff from the local Ace® hardware store. Compost can sometimes be heavy and dense and I found that with my homemade prototype, I could turn it over and work the compost with ease.
• RESEARCH and DEVELOPMENT
Today, prototypes are constructed on a MakerBot® 3D printer, a process that takes 30 hours each to complete. Through continued experimentation and refinements with dozens of prototypes a new and unique design and concept has emerged.
EZSHOVEL™ is now ready for the world.
• MANUFACTURING and FULFILLMENT
With the Research and Development phase having been completed, the Manufacturing and Fulfillment phase is next.
Funds raised from this Kickstarter campaign will go towards: mold making, raw materials, manufacturing, assembly, finishing, packaging, and delivery.
EZSHOVEL™ will be positioned in the moderate to high-end market as a professional and industrial quality tool.
Additionally, EZSHOVEL™ is expected to be manufactured within the United States. Where possible, packaging made from recycled materials will be utilized.
Funds received from this KICKSTARTER campaign will be responsibly allocated in the following manner:
• OFFSET HANDLE - stand straighter, less bending - The offset handle promotes standing straighter and encourages proper lifting techniques, reducing the need for bending while shoveling. The long handle grip allows for the most comfortable placement of the hand. EZSHOVEL™ is ideally suited for material moving activities such as snow shoveling and gardening.
• SLIDES - adjusts for comfort and leverage - When attached to a shovel handle shaft, EZSHOVEL™ can slide forward and rearward without the need for further adjustments. This allows EZSHOVEL™ to be positioned for a comfortable fit while also allowing changes to the position "on the fly" in order to take the most advantageous use of leverage.
• ROTATES - less twisting - When attached to a shovel handle shaft, EZSHOVEL™ allows the shovel to rotate independently so that materials can be moved easily without the twisting and tossing movements generally associated with shoveling. Instead, a simple flick of the back wrist is all that is needed to unload.
• MOUNTS - in seconds, no tools required - mounts and unmounts in just seconds without the need of any tools. Simply snap EZSHOVEL™ into place over the shovel handle shaft, insert the knob and turn to tighten. When sufficiently tightened, EZSHOVEL™ will stay firmly in place and yet will still be able to slide smoothly along the shovel handle shaft while also allowing the shovel handle shaft to rotate independently. Additionally, the knob assembly is reversible to accommodate both left-handed and right-handed individuals.
• FITS - all snow shovels and garden shovels - snow shovels and garden shovels have handle shafts diameters ranging between 1 1/8 inch (29mm) and 1 1/4 inch (32mm) and are composed of fiberglass (or similar material) or wood. EZSHOVEL™ is designed to fit and hold firmly while also allowing the rotation and sliding features to be utilized without additional adjustment.
• FLASHLIGHT - optional accessory - For use under low lighting conditions, a flashlight attaches to the end of the EZSHOVEL™ handle grip, illuminating the shovel and work area. Utilizing eight high-power LEDs (60 lumens) the flashlight holds three AAA batteries in a weather resistant case.
• SUPER STRONG - EZSHOVEL™ is composed of a proprietary blend including super strong Glass-filled Nylon making it equal in strength to the shovel itself. Hardware includes additional materials such as stainless steel.
Risks and challenges
EZSHOVEL™ is the first of its kind, a new invention.
Categorized as the first Sliding Auxiliary Handle, every advance (as expected) has required time and effort.
With the Research and Development phase having been completed, the Manufacturing and Fulfillment phases are next: mold making, materials selection, manufacturing, assembly, finishing, packaging, and delivery. Additionally, testing is required at each manufacturing step to insure that the final delivered product is of the highest quality.
Consulting with experts in the fields of: mold making, industrial and mechanical engineering, synthetic materials, and manufacturing, the estimate is to expect a three month manufacturing process.
Although none of the manufacturing processes are new, the design is new and there is a moderate chance for delays in order to tweak the process. Additionally, the entire manufacturing chain will be contained within the United States for quickest turnaround and for tightest quality control.
As such, funding levels will need to be sufficient to cover the costs of manufacturing, and will also need to be sufficient to cover any delays in order to see the project through to its completion.
Project backers will be able to follow the progress of the manufacturing phase via updates as the project advances to fulfillment.
Concept, research and development, manufacturing and fulfillment, are all phases of this long term project. With your help, we can bring EZSHOVEL-ing to the world.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)