Here's a sample PDF of the first two chapters of our setting The Faerie Ring. (The "Prelude" chapter explains how we're reaching far and wide for myths and folklore from around the world, not just from European origins. And the "Red Jack" chapter goes into depth on the kitsune and pipe foxes and murder stone and more.)
Here's the quick description of what you'll get:
CAMPAIGN GUIDE: This book has 300+ pages. It contains details on ten fey lords, including their stats and their history and motivations and intrigues. There are new locations (demesnes, cities, planes) detailed for each of the fey lords, plus 40+ statted fey monsters. As stretch goals are unlocked, additional content will be added.
PLAYER'S GUIDE: This book has 128+ pages. It contains eleven new fey player races. You'll learn the details of each race, what makes them different, and options for playing them. You'll get new archetypes, feats, racial traits, and more, including supernatural abilities unique to each race. (Pathfinder and 5E are being separately, so each will have content specific to that system.) As stretch goals are unlocked, additional content will be added.
MAGIC GUIDE: This book has 64+ pages, and it is a PDF included in the "ALL PDF" reward tiers. It will detail the Seelie and Unseelie Courts, providing magical options for players to take part in them and defend themselves from them. There will be new incantations/rituals, spells, strange and unique magic items, and interesting new magical systems, such as the moonshadow (which details how to incorporate the moon's influence on your fey). As stretch goals are unlocked, additional content will be added.
TWO EDITIONS: The books will be created for both Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and for 5E. Material will be converted if applicable, but otherwise, content will be created new for each to match each system's specific mechanics. Backers at a tier that includes "ALL PDF" will get the PDFs for both editions. For other PDF tiers and print editions, backers will be able to choose their edition.
STRETCH GOALS: "New Chapter" stretch goals will add digital content to each of the three core books. "Module" stretch goals will be available in "ALL PDF" tiers.
"ALL PDF" TIERS: If you select one of the tiers that says "ALL PDF", you will automatically receive (though depending on the tier, possibly more)...
- PDFs of the Campaign, Player's, and Magic Guides
- 12 short adventures in 2016 (and any other PDF we publish for The Faerie Ring in 2016) (see Update #9 "Adventure time")
- and the option to purchase the POD print versions at cost at a later date (see Update #5 "New Funding Options...")
You will receive PDFs of both editions, Pathfinder and 5E. In addition, you will also receive any additional chapters or modules unlocked through stretch goals.
The Faerie Ring expands the fey options for both players and GMs using either Pathfinder Roleplaying Game or 5E and creates new opportunities for meddling where you probably shouldn't. It introduces new fey monsters, playable fey races and other character options, fey big bads or patrons (or both!), fey cities and planes and other locales, and more.
This project aims to highlight the fey: to build their mythos with the strong personalities of powerful fey lords, to build their mystery with extraplanar fey locales and adventures, and to build their influence with fey character options.
We're updating and remastering the two existing PDF releases ("Prelude" and "Red Jack") and incorporating them along with nine additional chapters of brand new content as The Faerie Ring: Along the Twisting Way in two printed volumes: a Campaign Guide and a Player's Guide. Plus, a third book in PDF, the Magic Guide.
The Faerie Ring began over 5 years ago and launched Zombie Sky Press. And though the project's been silent for a while, we've been quietly designing the whole time, and now, we're ready to unveil our plans. The original "Prelude" is linked in the Update section for everyone to check out.
There's a plethora of amazing people designing and developing in our Fey Processing Plant, including Steven Helt (and the Horsemen), Monica Marlowe, Ben McFarland, Sarah Madsen, Mike Welham, Todd Stewart, Liz Courts, David Schwartz, John Bennett, Shawn Merwin, Dan Dillon, Chris Harris, Clinton Boomer, Wolfgang Baur, and Scott Gable. And visually, Julie Dillon, Carolina Eade, Domenico Neziti, and others are providing luscious fey creatures and landscapes. We'll be showcasing illustrations in our updates.
The first seven chapters are nearly complete and are going through final edits and layout. And the last three chapters are being designed now. We'll unveil each chapter to backers as they're finished.
The Faerie Ring gives you everything you need to play with fey characters and in fey locales. It's not a setting but, instead, a toolbox--a series of mini-settings!--to add more fey to your favorite settings. (Not unlike our previous It Came From The Stars: Campaign Guide did for space.)
It contains 10 powerful fey lords and their servitors and demesnes. Each lord comes with an associated player race and extraplanar locales to add mystery, adventure, and whimsy to your campaign.
There are three separate books. The Campaign Guide contains our constantly expanding fey mythos, including the details of 10 fey lords (including their stats), more than 30 fey monsters, exotic extraplanar locales, and more. The Player's Guide contains at least 11 playable fey races and all the fey-themed character options (archetypes, feats, items, and more) to make them and other non-fey characters spring to life in any campaign. The Magic Guide contains the magic of the fey, detailing the Seelie and Unseelie Courts, incantations, the moonshadow, and more.
The 10 fey lords:
- Red Jack: A ghostly kitsune psychopath and avatar of death. He takes his love of death to a new level.
- Hob: Silent and mysterious, eldest of the mogwoi lords. As different as they come.
- Jasmine: The Painted Lady. The Cannibal Queen. Driven by her hatred of Mab.
- Manitou: Ancient trickster and horned god of the deep wood. Always looking to the horizon, wondering what’s on the other side. His own greatest foe.
- Korapira: Mistress of the trees; terror in the leaves. Few can match her intensity and drive to get what she wants. She longs to bring her children—the entire plant kingdom—crashing down on the world.
- Wild Hunt: The spirit of nature knows nothing of moderation. It cares nothing for mercy. It feels nothing for civilization. Its goal is survival, and for Slaine and the fir bolg, it is salvation.
- Mab: Queen Mab now speaks always of death, gloom, and the slow passing away of the fey worlds. She has become consumed by her regrets.
- Moaro: A horrific and literal shadow of her former self, this darking is delusional and unpredictable, ever wandering.
- Nemesis: Product of a tragic love story, she is now an uncaring engine of vengeance.
- Flibbertigibbet: Clown prince of the mogwoi! Master of gremlins! Unintentional destroyer of worlds!
The 11 playable races:
- Kitsune: Foxes. There's more to them than you think.
- Matabiri: Aquatic and amoral scientists.
- Black Hats & Far Darrig: Don't dare laugh at their magic hats.
- Twilight Children (Changelings): Stolen and mixed-breed children. Always at the borders.
- Putti: Psychic flower babies. Not as evil as their mother would like.
- Fir Bolg: Nomadic dog warriors. Mortal enemies of the sidhe.
- Goodfellows: Winged sprites, hiding right behind you.
- Darklings: Militant crusaders from the plane of shadow.
- Wyrd: Blind and prescient and not believing all your lies.
- Bitterclaws: A more sophisticated brand of gremlin!
There will be two versions of The Faerie Ring: Along the Twisting Way. One for Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and one for 5E. The reward tiers are the same for both. You'll have a chance to choose your version during your backer survey after the campaign ends.
If we exceed our funding? There are more fey lords awaiting their own spotlight. Maybe you can help us decide which to do next. Modo, the lord of murder, in his subterranean city of Agartha? Decade, mad psychic with dominion over time and space? Mahu, the lord of stealing, collecting all your stuff in Nowhere since the beginning of civilization? Wanamangura, the Rainbow Serpent, ever the dreamer? The mysterious Cicada? Obidicut, the lord of lust, in his city of Cockayne? Tane, fallen winged prince? Whiro, lord of the underworld? The dirty Mud Hermit? Rahab, the Chaosbringer? Or the terrible Morrigan and her sidhe city Tír na nÓg? (Who doesn't want to play as a sidhe!) Each unlocked lord will be developed as a new chapter, along with new player races and monsters and locations. And if we unlock 10 new ones, the second volume, Under a Poison Moon, will become available in print, as well.
We also want to create modules, each with a fey-themed adventure and source material, such as the extraplanar deep-sea fey adventure Sea of Rahab by Todd Stewart (building from Hob's chapter in The Faerie Ring: Along the Twisting Way) and The Thousand Eyes by Richard Pett (building from Manitou's chapter).
When a "New Chapter" is unlocked below, we'll create a new fey lord and their monsters (for the Campaign Guide), a new player race and options (for the Player's Guide), and additional magic (for the Magic Guide). Each fey lord will be determined by the backers: want Modo next, or maybe Decade, or someone else?
Risks and challenges
The Faerie Ring: Along the Twisting Way is over 75% complete already with seven chapters in either final edits or layout and 80% of the illustrations completed, and the final three chapters are in progress. Several of the chapters will be available to backers as soon as the campaign ends. The only foreseeable risk would be delays in the schedule for the final 3 chapters and prepping the final print, but we've built extra time into our schedule. And we're committed to sending PDFs of the chapters as they are finished, before they are all collected into the final prints, so you'll be able to see our progress firsthand.
We've been publishing RPGs and fiction for several years and are confident that we can surmount all obstacles. And there's iron above the door and cream on the porch.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)