Current website: http://ghostgimbals.com/
Capture incredibly smooth footage both on the ground and in the air with the versatility of the Ghost V3 Mini Rail Gimbal.
What is the Ghost Grip?
The Ghost grip is our smallest gimbal designed for smartphones and gopros. This gimbal has been in development since before our previous kickstarter, however, we didn't want to release it until we designed a consumer friendly version that was affordable. The Ghost Grip is as easy as it gets. Just attach your phone and turn the power on.
Right now, we just have the prototype, but with the kickstarter funds we will be able to begin mass producing the Grip.
What is the GHOST V3?
The Ghost V3 is 3-axis camera gimbal designed for both handheld and aerial cinematography. The V3’s patent pending mini rail system keeps the gimbal's weight down, strengthens the frame, and allows easy adjusting.
Why the Ghost V3?
Weight, adjustability, and precise camera movement have been the three key focuses going into the development of the Ghost V3. We want the operator to have freedom and mobility in capturing their creative shots. If a gimbal is heavy, you need to use a secondary support system to hold your gimbal and camera. These systems limit your movement, cost more, and it’s more gear to bring from set to set. With the Ghost V3 and a lightweight camera you can operate all day long without any limitations.
The Ghost V3 uses a patent pending mini rail system for adjusting each axis. The rails can be changed out for different sizes, so you can balance any size camera. There is a weight limit of five pounds due to the torque of the motors, but the goal is to keep everything lightweight. If you need to support a heavier camera, then look into our Ghost Pro II, which can support up to 12lbs.
We're back on Kickstarter
This is where it all started. Over two years ago, you supported our vision to make an affordable motorized camera stabilizer. The Kickstarter community and our early backers believed in us and made it possible to bring our product to the market. Now, we have produced three models. With each model, we have listened to your feedback and improved upon it, making the V3 is best gimbal ever!
We have taken the Ghost to the next level with built-in encoders (sensors) in the motors. The motors have been completely redesigned. We are no longer using regular brushless motors that most the gimbals on the market use. We have customized every aspect of the motor for optimal performance. The built in encoders have the following advantages:
- Prevents motors from losing synchronization and skipping steps. The motors will always return to the intended position.
- Provides information about frame and camera angle.
- Significantly decreases power consumption by using field-oriented control strategy to drive motors. This allows you to use a smaller battery or increases your run time on the current battery.
- Increases instant torque.
- Provides option to get information about the camera balance.
- Option to adjust camera position by hand.
- Increases the precision of stabilization by applying field-orientated control.
One thing we have learned over the years is that everyone wants a gimbal to be easy to adjust and adapt to every camera setup. With our patent pending rail design you can swap them out for any desired length, which means you can balance any size camera < 5lbs. Here are the Features:
- Adjustment marks to get the gimbal balanced perfectly every time.
- Threaded Rods for easy replacement or swapping out sizes.
- Adjustable on either side of the motor to get the perfect length
Quick Releases Everywhere! The Ghost V3 offers tool-free adjusting. Every axis has quick release knobs and levers for easy adjusting. The camera slides into place, and even the top grip bar can easily be removed.
You can mount the Ghost V3 directly to your drone. Because the V3 is so light, it is the perfect companion for getting smooth aerial footage. With the top quick release, it’s easy to remove the grip bar and attach the ghost under any multirotor. We are producing a separate mount for attaching to a drone.
The Ghost easily breaks down, so you can pack it in a carry-on for travel.
We now have a rail system for mounting a follow focus to your Ghost Pro II or Ghost V3. Pledge $50 for the rail system.
We are designing the back of the Ghost to incorporate a quick releasing battery. The gimbal will be able to operate on a standard Sony battery, so the batteries will be safe and easy to charge. Just snap the battery in place and you’ll be up and running in no time. We will update you on the progress of this feature.
New Controller with Built in Bluetooth
We had to redesign the controller for accepting the encoders from the motors. In doing so, we also included a Bluetooth device, so you can connect with your phone or computer without using any cables.
If you don’t have much or any experience calibrating a gimbal, then the Ghost has a new Auto Calibrate mode to set appropriate settings for your specific camera setup.
If you want higher angle shots, then simply flip the Ghost upside-down for an inverted mode. The Ghost can work either way without even needing to change the mode.
This is the same mode we have been using on our current models, but it can easily be customized for your specific operating style. In the follow mode, the Ghost will automatically track your movements whether you are tilting up and down or panning left and right. The horizon will always stay locked in a level position unless you change that option in the settings.
Most people will only use a remote control if they have a second operator for aerial filming. If this is desired, you can easily plug in a RX to the Ghost and operate remotely. There is a specific port for spectrum receivers, but you can connect any other receiver to the main controller.
- Accessory Mount
- Protective Case - Coming soon
- Joystick - Sold on Website
Ghost PRO II
The Ghost Pro II is designed for the most demanding cinema packages. We created a system ready to work with large pro camera systems up to 12lbs. This Pro version will easily support your RED or similar cinema camera, as well as smaller DSLR's. This model has powerful motors, so you can attach a follow focus, matte box, and any extras without worrying if the gimbal can support the extra weight.
The Pro II retails for $3995, but get it now on Kickstarter for a fraction of that price.
More specs can be found here: http://ghostgimbals.com/collections/ghost-gimbals/products/the-ghost-pro-ii-limited-edition
History of the Ghost
Our story originally began in 2011
- Construct 2-axis gimbal for mulirotored helicopter
- Added 3rd axis (geared with servo) to aerial gimbal
- Designed and Conceptualized a brushless gimbal
- Manipulated aerial gimbal for ground steadicam use
- Developed first Brushless gimbal prototype (mini gopro version)
- Developed larger motors for DSLR brushless gimbal
- Used prototyped to launch a kickstarter and begin production in Missoula, MT USA
- At the end of August, we successfully raised the funds to begin production
- Assembled kits and Ghosts to ship in January
- Began design on new models 2014
- Successfully shipped all kickstarter order in January
- Launched a webstore
- Hired our first employees and interns
- Attended NAB in Vegas
- Designed and launched the Ghost V2 and the Ghost Pro models
- Trademarked our Name
- Designed and Patented the Ghost V3
- Moved to a larger production facility
- Finished prototype for the Ghost V3 and designed a new kickstarter to help finish Production
- January/February: Designed this Kickstarter campaign
- March: Launch Kickstarter by the end of the month
The Future Timeline:
Risks and challenges
We need your help to give us the extra push to begin production on a larger scale. Product development has been very expensive and although it was worth the investment to make an awesome product, we need additional funding to manufacturer the Ghost V3 and bring it to customers.
We have been waiting to launch our kickstarter until we had a solid V3 model. The only additional designing we need to do is incorporate a quick release battery into the electronic inclosure. This will take a little bit of time, but we don't foresee it holding up production.
Every project has potential obstacles. However, we have developed three previous models, so we are aware of production obstacles and how to work around them.
We have a track-record of being forthcoming with our backers about the problems we face in the big manufacturing world as a small company. When issues with production have come up in the past, we come up with solutions, and our backers are the first to know.
We love our backers and put you guys first because without you, our company would never be here producing a 3rd generation gimbal. We do EVERYTHING we can to exceed expectations, ship quickly, and impress with product quality.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)