The fume Fan is a soldering fume extractor, work lamp, helping hands tool and a project organiser for hobbyists, makers and creators
The fume Fan is a soldering fume extractor, work lamp, helping hands tool and a project organiser for hobbyists, makers and creators Read more
About this project
What is the fumeFan?
The fumeFan is a soldering iron fume extractor device that absorbs fumes in the air by taking them through a carbon activated filter.
Simply put the fumeFan in front of the PCB that you are working with and adjust the airflow to your preference.
It has features such as:
- Absorbs fumes from the soldering which removes bad smell and retains the particles in the filter
- LED light helps you see better
- Variable fan speed from 0% to 100% so it is not noisy or annoying when you don't need full suction power
- 12V DC or USB powered (depends on the model) which makes it safe and easy to carry around; use it everywhere
- Helping hands - holds your PCB with up to 4 flexible croc clips arms; quick and easy PCB height/angle adjustment as well as seamless rotation
- Magnifier on a flexible arm for the tiny components and labels on the PCBs
- Magnet on a flexible arm to hold your tools or components handy
fumeFan put to the test
We have tried to show you how to use the fumeFan. In the video we show the three basic models: Max, Medi and Lite.
You solder quite often. No more discomfort!
Do you sometimes get annoyed by the fumes getting in your face or straight in the nose? Feel dizzy or a slight headache? Then you are a true engineer. With the fumeFan your soldering will become a real pleasure. No more bad smell and no more irritated eyes - this in the past! All the fumes go through the carbon activated filter and never in your face.
Always short of light?
You don't need to worry because you have light right on the spot! Powerful warm yellow and wide angle LEDs will improve your visibility and actually you could solder in a low-light place or in a completely dark room.
The fumeFan comes into four different models all available as kits.
Lite - USB powered, ON/OFF switch, 50mm filter size
Medi - 12V DC, Variable Speed, LEDs, 60cm filter size
Max - 12V DC, Variable Speed, LEDs, 120cm filter size
Max PRO - 12V DC, Variable Speed, LEDs, 120cm filter size, helping hands, magnifier and a magnetic tool holder
- Medi, Max, Max PRO
Wondering which one is for you? The fumeFan models differentiate mainly by the size and the air flow power - the bigger the better. One of the models is USB, the others are 12V DC powered. The 12V powered have variable speed control as well as LED light.
fumeFan Power Supply Options
110/220 V AC - NO, we don't want that. We want it to be like the modern electronics! You can play with it, but be safe and run at low DC supply voltage.
The fumeFan Lite model runs at 5 V DC so you can even power it up from your laptop or use any standard gadget charger that has a USB connector. It's perfect for that job.
The fumeFan Medi, Max and Max PRO run at 12 V DC. Power these models from any standard 12 V DC bench power supply. These models come with the banana plugs cable so you can connect it to most of the power supplies out there. If you don't already have one at your bench, then use an AC-DC adapter for the job.
You have the opportunity to express yourself creating a true masterpiece. Design your graphics or let us print a poem or maybe someone's name on the fumeFan. You get to choose. The capabilities are endless.
From us to you!
We can do even better!
If we reach our stretch goals we will be delighted to make you happier. You will get a wider colour choice with two new colours - Mandarin Orange and Citrus Yellow, for any of the models.
When we reach our second stretch goal we will add a third LED to the Medi, Max and Max PRO models because more light is always better.
We need your support!
We have worked hard to get to this stage. We are in contact with leading manufacturers and materials suppliers, but in order to bring the cost down, we need to order in bulk. This is where you can help us achieve our mission and make everyone happy!
- August 2013: Idea inception- first cardboard models were made, PCB with speed control and light source
- September / October: Alpha testing – Redesign of PCB to reduce costs, improve efficiency and add features
- November / December: Built and tested the production prototype, finalized the plan and process for a full-scale manufacturing
- January 2014: Initiated KICKSTARTER campaign
- February / March: KICKSTARTER campaign
- March / April: Engage supply chain partners, acquire tooling for production, raw materials and components. Order packaging material.
- April / May: Finalise compliance testing and certification
- May: Full production starts
- June/ July: Shipping rewards to backers!
- July: fumeFan is available for purchase on-line
Risks and challenges
We want to move forward without any nasty surprises just as much as you do. Whilst there are always risks involved with delivering something new to market, we’ll be doing everything we can to minimise these uncertainties.
We've tested working samples, invested in prototype tooling, sourced great manufacturing partners, arranged thorough quality control processes and engaged our logistics providers – all to help this project go as smoothly as possible.
We’re sure there’ll be surprises along the way but we’re ready for the challenge. In the event that any challenges alter the progress of the project, we will let our backers know.
Thanks for helping us towards our goal.
Love you!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)