Where to from here? Your suggestions, please!
Hey everyone! I'm getting a lot of questions about stretch goals. We've met the ones I was planning for, so I thought I would ask for your ideas about what (if anything) to add to this project.
Thanks to exactly 666 wonderful backers right now (screenshotted, hehe), the Erfabet project is already more of a success than I had planned for the full 36 days of funding. Seriously, if you had told me at the start, "Rob, you can guarantee $31K as your final number or you can take your chances and see how people respond," I would have gratefully taken that number. (My best guess for the whole thing was somewhere in the low 20s.)
That was not because I didn't think we could raise more. It's more about where this project fits in to Erfworld's plans for the rest of the year. I picked some modest, achievable goals, and because of the generosity of Erfworld readers, we met them all in about a day. XD
I want to talk a little about our plans, and ask for your feedback about what to do with the remaining month that this project will be live.
The Erfabet book was supposed to be the smaller of two Kickstarters this year. The larger one, with a $45,000 goal, is planned for August. The purpose of that one will be to fund David to draw all of Book 3. His original inks for that book will be offered as the primary donor rewards.
So one logical thing to do at this point would be to combine the two projects and make a push right now to fund Book 3. But I really prefer to wait until the epilogues start posting. I don't think it's right to ask the fans to fund David until you've had a chance to see more of his work.
Of course, we don't have to do anything more with this one. We can go the remaining 31 days without any new rewards or add-ons, and that would be fine. I've said that all remaining funds go toward resurrecting the website project, and it could soak up all the excess. We're trying a new approach in June that could possibly get it done for what we've raised already, or it might require as much as $40,000 if this try fails like the first three did. We don't know. And I don't necessarily need any new work on my plate.
But with 31 days left to go, it still feels like a missed opportunity not to do something else. We have a chance now to fund something cool on the side, maybe something that we could have ready in time for GenCon. I thought about doing a set of embroidered patches like the OOTS project had, or something like the Schlock Mercenary challenge coins (Hamstards, Wanda skulls, Jetstone radishes, etc).
So in comments, please leave your thoughts. Is there some Erfworld product that you've always wanted to see? Got a t-shirt idea? Feel very strongly that we shouldn't do anything else right now? Please let me know.