MeChef – The benefits of Mediterranean cuisine
MeChef – The benefits of Mediterranean cuisine
A free iOS App offering ethical recipes, based on the Mediterranean diet, to improve our health and be respectful of the environment.
A free iOS App offering ethical recipes, based on the Mediterranean diet, to improve our health and be respectful of the environment. Read more
DETAILED PRESENTATION OF THE PROJECT
We are aware that we are inextricably linked to our environment and to our planet. Our eating habits, shared with the eating habits of millions of people, generate global consequences on our world. It is by changing the way we eat and by helping others to change the way they eat that we will improve not only our life skills, but also the states of our bodies and of our minds. But above all, it is by choosing produce produced by organic farming or by farms incorporating the concept of sustainable development that we will contribute to reducing the impact of this ecological problem.
What solutions are available to us? How should we act and how can we become ecocitizens in the way we procure our food?
One of the answers is to be found in changing our own habits. It is by changing the way we consume that it is possible to shake off the chains that market policies have put us in. We will then become citizens and consumers who have awareness and concern not only for our bodies, but also for the environment, to which we are linked.
WHO AM I?
My name is Michel Basaldella and I am an Italian chef who has worked for over twenty years in various regions along the Mediterranean shores: Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Veneto, Toscana, Lazio, Bouche du Rhône, etc.
I dived with delectation into these various oeno-gastronomic cultures, continuously deepening my knowledge and my mastery of these traditional cultures and cuisines. Today, I am continuing on my gustatory journey with ever richer new professional experiences through which I am helping people to discover all of the subtleties of Mediterranean cuisine.
My desire is to share recipes and flavours so that we can regain a proper balance in our eating habits. The objective of this approach is to improve our health and our well-being, and to develop a genuine gustatory experience!
It is by transforming our daily lives, underpinned by our acquired knowledge and experience, and by being aware of the errors made yesterday and today that we will pave the way to a future that is healthier and more respectful of the environment, so as to offer a healthy dietary education for all.
My sincere desire is to allow you to discover and to share the simple pleasures of the table, by focusing on a new ethical way of eating, where becoming aware starts with selecting the produce, and choosing the producers, and continues until the food is on the plate.
My ambition is to bring a new vision by developing a humanistic conception of food. This humanistic vision of food encourages us to respect the environment, and to take time and care in choosing our produce and our producers in order to share the pleasures of the table with our family and friends.
In this approach, the idea is not to be driven by fear of the negative effects of food on our health, but rather to eat for pleasure, while also promoting respect for our planet. It is thanks to the ethical actions of everyone that we will see a genuinely positive global change.
That is why we have decided to develop “MeChef”, an iOS application for iPhone, iPad, and androids. This project passes on the foundations of our values in a fun, intuitive, and free manner.
WHAT WILL THE COLLECTION BE USED FOR?
Launching the “let’s eat ethical” project requires an investment of €30,000 in order to develop the iOS App “MeChef”.
Since the birth of this project 2 years ago, we have had to overcome many obstacles in order to lay the initial foundations…Our determination has not been in vain, because, on Sunday 18 October 2015, I will have the opportunity to present the concept of this application at Expo Milano.
The funds collected will be a genuine springboard, enabling us to propose the application “MeChef” for making as many citizens as possible aware of the benefits of Mediterranean cuisine, and for reinforcing our “let's eat ethical” community.
Why fund “MeChef”?
MeChef will be a free application offering over 200 ethical recipes, based on the Mediterranean diet, which has been included in UNESCO’s List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
MeChef is a stimulating and fun game, through which you will discover the benefits of a healthy and simple cuisine, offering you a wide selection of recipes for every occasion. Accessible to everyone and in particular to children, this educational approach will inspire your entire family to develop tastes, sharing and well-being!
One of the other objectives of “MeChef” is to raise the awareness in as many people as possible of the importance being conscious and aware about how we eat (from choosing the products, and the producers, through to putting the food on our plates), in order to improve our health, and be respectful of the environment and of biodiversity in food production.
What happens if we exceed our objective?
If we exceed our target, we will be able to develop and upgrade our project even faster! It will give us an opportunity to fund other communications means that will allow the “let’s eat ethical” project to assert itself, even on the international stage. Here is a non-exhaustive list of the various actions that we wish to put in place in the near future, with your help:
- Enriching the content of the website
- Making various videos for on-line “ethical cuisine” lessons
- Campaigns for raising awareness about the concept of “let’s eat ethical” among children: going personally to schools to talk about the “let’s eat ethical” project; creating various teaching aids in digital and/or hard-copy format (videos, e-learning, e-books, books, notebooks, brochures, etc.)
- Campaign for raising awareness about the “let’s eat ethical” concept for future chefs: going personally to catering schools to talk about the “let’s eat ethical” project; creating various teaching aids in digital and/or hard-copy format (videos, e-learning, e-books, books, notebooks, brochures, etc.)
- “Ethical cuisine” lessons: respect for biodiversity in food production, choosing the produce, choosing the producers, respect for the environment, learning about the organic and sustainable farming culture…
- Organising international public events on the concept of “let’s eat ethical”: inviting professionals (chefs, producers, doctors, academics…) from the organic and sustainable farming and food industries, and from the environment sector…; designing and producing the campaign; organising these encounters in various countries
- Gala evening and fund raising: the funds raised will be fully paid over to local associations or to small producers who are working for developing countries; designing and producing the evening; organising encounters in various countries
Some examples of our rewards:
1) Original contribution certificate signed by Chef Michel
2) Chef M’s keyring
3) T-shirt « Chef M, ethical eating! »
Risks and challenges
After the achievement of the App MeChef, my goals for the long term are to build a community around the theme "ethical eating!". I would like to educate young people about the importance of eating with awareness. It will be not easy to organise important events around the world, but I'm sure that with your help this dream can be true.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (52 days)