About this project
This is the 30th Anniversary of a legendary video game called DEUS EX MACHINA. It was the first ever interactive movie with a full-sync rock album soundtrack, played on vintage computers with names like the Sinclair ZX Spectrum and the Commodore 64. It immersed you in a dark, comic, roller-coaster ride through an entire human life, from cradle to grave, and some folk say it was the best game they ever played. And now, thanks to Kickstarter, you can be part of the legend. The original DEUS EX MACHINA is back with this celebration Collector's Edition, and it's better than ever!
- for PC, Mac, iOS, Android, OUYA and Linux
- soundtrack remixed and remastered from the original tapes
- original graphics and retina-quality graphics options
- exclusive no-holds-barred author's commentary
- backers names and images added to the original software
- written, programmed and produced by the original team
This Game Of The Year Collector's Edition of DEUS EX MACHINA is being released by popular demand, following the Kickstarter launch of the second-generation DEUS EX MACHINA 2 earlier this year, starring Sir Christopher Lee. We want this Collector's Edition to become a must-have for all you original players and ageing nostalgia-freaks out there, and we really want it to reach out to all the first-timers and new players who were too young or not even born when it first took the videogame world by storm. Above all, we invite you to become part of the legend.
THIS IS A UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY - IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN. So we hope you grab yourself a little piece of gaming history and don't get left out. As well as the multi-format game itself, there's a whole host of unique rewards and memorabilia up for grabs, and you can even get your name and face featured in the original game software itself, for all time!
WHY YOUR MONEY IS NEEDED
The programming for Deus Ex Machina is all finished and paid for. In fact it was finished and paid for thirty years ago! The game will be released to the public on Mel Croucher's birthday in November this year to mark the exact 30th anniversary of the original, but our Kickstarter backers will get hands on in October - guaranteed no delays. So why are we raising money?
- To create a new sequence in the game itself, to feature as many of your names and faces as we can, alongside our celebrity stars.
- To make sure the game runs on as many formats as we can for you to enjoy, including PC, Mac and Linux desktops, OUYA, iOS and Android slabs, phones and doodahs.
- To include an alternative enhanced version of the original, with brain-sizzling retina display graphics and an ear-licking remaster of the entire original soundtrack, plus an exclusive author's commentary in real time for the entire game.
- And of course we need to produce and deliver your other lovely rewards, and pay Kickstarter their fees for making all this happen.
And OUR GOAL to achieve this celebration collector's release is to raise £5,750 with your help. That's less than $10,000 or just over €7,000. No stretch goals, no upper limit, all welcome.
Harness the sentient Machine, battle your way to the womb, navigate the birth slalem to get born, outsmart the Defect Police then rebel! Discover the pleasures of love, the pains of guilt, the trappings of wealth, the terror of the battlefield, the tribulations of old age, the wonder of transfiguration. Exploit your power, bust your body, fight your decline, lose your mind, dream your dreams and fly!
Sperms, cops, robo-eyeballs, lascivious lips, naughty bits, zimmer frames, hallicinogens, dead mice, dementia, hermaphrodites, land mines, war crimes, neurons, morons, rock stars, and the sublime voice of Doctor Who as your Narrator.
Imagine if your life was nothing more than an electronic game. Imagine if you knew then what you know now. Imagine if you could replay your little life all over again. Welcome to DEUS EX MACHINA.
- Since Mel founded Automata way back in 1977, we have only ever dealt direct with you, our players.
- We have always listened to what you say and what you want, and we always will. That's why in our previous Kickstarter campaigns we gave every backer voting rights on how we create the future of our games.
- We have never sold out to banks, advertisers, sponsors or parasites, and we never will. Kickstarter allows us to keep our independence.
- We believe Kickstarter is the perfect way for you to join in the fun and choose your ideal rewards.
- And we believe Kickstarter is the perfect way for us to reach out and include you, our genuine gameplay partners from all over the world.
We are delighted to announce that Colin Jones, the Welsh Wizard and original programmer of the award-winning Commodore 64 and MSX versions of the game, is coding this special Game Of The Year Collector's Edition for all formats. Mel Croucher and the Automata Source team are based at the seaside on the South coast of England, with key people in California, Iberia and Wales. There's loads of bios, background information, galleries and cool stuff about Mel, Automata and the team on our website. http://www.automatasource.com/people.aspx
Can't wait to get Deus Ex Machina the book? Get your copy right now, or read the first bit for free! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deus-Ex-Machina-Mel-Croucher-ebook/dp/B00J9AT2QA/
Watch Mel Croucher on Deus Ex Machina in this clip from the forthcoming movie "From Bedrooms To Billions", http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jipoJnWPA6o
The original Deus Ex Machina game and memorabilia is currently on tour thanks to the National Centre for Craft & Design. Catch up with it here: http://www.galleryoldham.org.uk/exhibitions/revolution_in_the_bedroom.htm
For interviews, videos, soundtracks, storyboards and loads of extra stuff, click on the  tab on the Deus Ex Machina website menu, http://deusexmachina2.com/
Risks and challenges
All human activity involves risks and challenges, and games development is no exception. Developers can run out of time, producers can run out of money, key personnel can run out the door to join the circus, early ambitions can turn out to be impractical, and then there's the possibility that everything goes to plan but the plan stinks.
Well, we're not going to run out of time, because all the hard slog has been completed and we're now into the fun phase. We're not going to run out of money, with your help, because the development, the music and the production is all paid for, and this funding is about putting you, the backer, into the game, and making sure you enjoy it even more than the original version. And our team is stable, experienced and besides we've already joined the circus.
Since I started the first ever video games company in the UK, my team has never failed to deliver. This time it's no different and I believe the risk of failing to complete the project is incredibly low. If I happen to fall off an ancient monument again, go mad or disappear, then my colleagues will take over seamlessly.
Essentially, this is the celebration version of the game, where Kickstarter puts me in touch with you, and I show my thanks in the best way I can. I want to make this game not for myself, but for all of us. So, maybe the only real risk for you to consider is that Deus Ex Machina stank all those years ago and still does.
Right from the start, I took the risk of defying the norms and busting the templates of conventional gaming, by producing Deus Ex Machina as an interactive movie, played in real time to a perfectly synchronized rock music soundtrack. And now I invite you to become part of that original vision.
My heartfelt thanks to you for taking the time to read this. If you're considering backing the project then I hope you enjoy the ride and I look forward to welcoming you aboard with open arms.
Mel CroucherLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (15 days)