About this project
Finally a K-State story book you'll love giving as a gift or putting on your coffee table! In this book, the K-State Wildcats are given the prestige treatment usually reserved for high profile animated properties. This is an officially licensed, 8 1/2 x 11", offset printed, 32-page hardcover book with a dust jacket, filled to the brim with full-page color illustrations in the classic storybook style.
So what's the story? It’s about young WIllie, who has big dreams of becoming amazing things, with none greater than becoming a K-State Wildcat! This lighthearted rhyming tale is a spirited celebration of Kansas State University, an exciting preview of college life, and helps instill the value of higher education.
I've spent a large part of my career illustrating children's books as a hired hand. It's always been a dream of mine to take what I've learned and make books that lift up my hometown community. After creating my first self-owned children's book last year, I heard a constant chorus of people asking me to create a book featuring K-State. Since a large amount of my family graduated from K-State and so did many of my friends, I knew this had to be my next project! I contacted K-State, received their blessing, and then got to work!
Now all I need is your support! Your pledge will not only get you a copy of the book and more if you choose, but it will help me cover the expensive printing costs and help get this book placed into retail in Kansas City and Manhattan as well. Let's get this high quality product available in as many places as possible and let it be another way to proclaim K-State's excellence!
The rolled poster is 18x24" with art taken from the football page in the book and is a standard size for easy framing. It will be printed locally and will arrive at your door sooner than the offset-printed books.
Taken from a double-page spread in the book featuring the classic K-State logos and Anderson Hall, this image just begs to be put in a frame and hung on the wall! This artist-signed, rolled 20x16" print is a standard size for easy framing. The art print will be printed locally and arrive to your home earlier than the offset-printed books.
This second art print is taken from a double-page spread in the book and features a Powercat crop circle in a wheat field near the Flint Hills. It is also an artist-signed, rolled 20 x 16" print, will be printed locally and will arrive to your home earlier than the offset-printed books.
At some of the higher pledge levels, 8x10" pencil-drawn, numbered artist sketches are available. The artist sketches will be rolled and shipped with the art prints.
On the copyright/dedication page of all first edition books, there will be a limited number of spaces dedicated to people who pledge the $350 and $500 tiers. This is a great opportunity to list your kids' or grandkids' names as well as those of diehard K-State fans. Personal, family or business names are welcome.
The $500 tier (limit 9 backers) receives:
- Upper section placement, font in all caps with a larger point size.
- You will be given two lines and approximately 20 characters per line (including spaces) to list your personal, family or business name.
- You also receive 4 books, 2 posters, both signed art prints, and 1 artist sketch.
The $350 tier (limit 15 backers) receives:
- Lower section placement, typed in upper and lower case.
- You will be given two lines and approximately 24 characters per line (including spaces) to list your personal, family or business name.
- You also receive 2 books, 1 poster, and both signed art prints, and 1 artist sketch.
Even though the books won't be shipped until the spring (and the art prints, posters and sketches sometime before that), I've created a way for you to still be able to give these gifts to your loved ones this Christmas/holiday season! Below is a link for you to download a free greeting card pdf that you can print out at home and give as a stand-in gift. The inside of the card has a short rhyme saying the item on the cover is their gift and it will arrive in Spring 2017.
We've found a print-on-demand service that can produce books fast enough that you can have your book by Christmas! Three items of note:
- These books will utilize digital printing instead of offset printing like the other books.
- The endpapers will be white instead of having a Powercat pattern like the other books.
- There's additional cost.
Note: We have only set up one reward tier featuring the "Early Bird" book. If you would like to receive the the "Early Bird" book with other products, please consider adding the book to an existing reward tier as an "Add-on" item. See the next section below about "extra copies" for instructions on how to accomplish this.
You can do that! They're called "ADD-ONS."
LIST OF EXTRA ITEMS THAT CAN BE ADDED:
- Each extra regular offset BOOK add $26 (price includes shipping/handling charges). This is *NOT* the "Early Bird" book--see below for that.
- If you would like your offset BOOK to be signed by the author, add $7. (the book must be shipped from the warehouse in Virginia to the author and then again to you)
- Each extra POSTER add $19 (price includes shipping/handling charges)
- Each extra ART PRINT add $35 (price includes shipping/handling charges)
- Each extra "Early Bird" print-on-demand BOOK add $75 (book will be signed by the author, price includes shipping/handling charges)
Limit of 4 extras per item per backer.
Apologies, but extra artist sketches will not be available as Add-ons.
How do I add the extra Add-on items to my pledge?
- 1. First, choose a tier you would like to pledge to.
- 2. Once your tier is selected, the "Pledge Amount" box will become live and you can increase your dollar amount manually. Use the above price list to determine how much you will need to add to your total.
- 3. Click the green "Continue" button and finish out your pledge. YOU'RE DONE for now!
- 4. Later, after the 30-day campaign is over, you'll get an e-mail backer survey asking which items you want your Add-on dollars applied to, as well as for your mailing address, etc.
If I've already made my pledge, how can I add extra Add-on items afterward?
- 1. At the top of this page, you will see either a blue "Manage" button or a blue "Manage Your Pledge" button. Either button works.
- 2. Click the blue "Change Your Pledge" button.
- 3. The "Pledge Amount" box will become live and you can increase your dollar amount manually. Use the above price list to determine how much you will need to add to your total.
- 4. Click the green "Continue" button and finish out your pledge. YOU'RE DONE for now!
- 5. Later, after the 30-day campaign is over, you'll get an e-mail backer survey asking which items you want your Add-on dollars applied to, as well as for your mailing address, etc.
Here's the schedule once the 30-day Kickstarter campaign is funded:
Digitally printed "EARLY BIRD" PRINT-ON-DEMAND BOOKS (faster, more expensive):
- 7 business days for production time at printer
- 2nd day shipping to Greg's house (so the books can be signed as offered in the category)
- 1 week for fulfillment from Greg
- shipping time to your house
- You should receive your books in early December
OFFSET PRINTED BOOKS (slower, less expensive):
- 1. 1-2 weeks at American production house
- 2. 4-5 month turnaround for overseas printing and shipping back to America. During the printing/shipping window, the posters, art prints and artist sketches will be shipped to you by Greg.
- 3. 1 week for our fulfillment house to ship out books to you.
- Books will be delivered to backers in Spring 2017.
POSTERS AND ART PRINTS
- 5-7 business days for production time at local printer
- 1 week for fulfillment from Greg
- shipping time to your house
- You should receive your posters, art prints and artist sketches in early December
This is my second Kickstarter campaign, the first of which successfully raised above its fundraising goal. The knowledge and experience gained from that project will be beneficial to this K-State book campaign.
The story and art for the K-State book have all been completed, and all approvals necessary from Kansas State University have been completed as well.
Rewards will have to be shipped in three separate boxes, which is reflected in the shipping/handling costs.
- 1. Books
- 2. Posters
- 3. Art prints + artist sketches
I'm going to limit rewards shipping on this Kickstarter campaign to domestic addresses only.
The football posters will utilize offset printing and the art prints could utilize digital or offset printing, depending on the number of orders received. We currently plan to have the posters and art prints manufactured by Advantage Printing in Leavenworth, Kansas.
Written in the third person:
Greg Hardin has been a professional illustrator and designer for over 15 years. During that time he worked full-time in the Licensing Studio at Hallmark Cards and at the animation studio Big Idea Productions, while also spending many years as a full-time freelance illustrator. At last count, Greg has illustrated 71 children's books. Greg has also worked on animated cartoons, toys, licensing art, live shows, theme park attractions, video games, and consumer products. Other fun facts: Greg has self-published a comic book, was a finalist in Fox Television's "Pitch-o-rama" animated TV show idea competition, and used to run popular website drawergeeks.com for industry artists that amassed many millions of views during its active years.
Places you can find Greg on the web:
Risks and challenges
Once the campaign is funded, our books will be ordered with our printer/publishing partner, and the posters and art prints will be ordered with our local printer. We do not anticipate any delays, but there is always the possibility of a manufacturing delay by the printers or a shipping delay by customs. We will begin fulfilling backer rewards as soon as we receive final product. Thank you for partnering with us to make this project happen!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (30 days)