Share this project

Done

Share this project

Done
$2.00 pledged of $4,000 goal
backers
By David
$2.00 pledged of $4,000 goal
backers

About this project

What am I trying to make? A small prototype of a motor that is driven by magnets. My overall goal is to make a much larger version that is able to run a generator that would be able to power an electric car (the Chevy Volt would be an ideal test vehicle). 

It's a simple concept, and if you look around the internet for five minutes you will come across countless people claiming to have created it. So far, nobody really has. A motor powered by magnets. Consuming no fuel, producing no emissions but able to spin a generator to produce electricity. 

Over the past 14 years, I've tried various designs, had many machines made(all by my own design) and each time I creep a little closer to my ultimate goal - producing sustained motion without consuming energy.

The photo I put up may not look like anything, but it is actually very important. It was the first of many steps. That was the original design (and a couple of revisions). It didn't work at all like I thought it would. But I learned an incredible amount from it. That lead to another design, which lead to another design, and more revisions, and so on for 14 long years. At times I've spent more on this dream than I care to admit. At other times I would pack everything thing away in box in the basement, swearing to never touch it again. Six months later, I would be back at it again. Back with a better design, learning why it didn't work.

That brings me to today. What I've learned from my latest design is that the design itself doesn't seem to be the problem. It's the execution of the design and the machining processes used. With my latest design I've learned that I've made mistakes in material and machining processes (and machinist) that are preventing the sustained motion. The materials used are too flexible, the tolerances are not tight enough. My biggest problems in my last prototype were drive shafts that flexed too much under load and bound up. Bushing that were not perfectly straight. Slight tapers on what should have been blunt faces. I've learned that I need to have this made by a prototype lab, not someone running 50 year old machine shop out of his workshop for fun.

The scope of my project is simply this: Take my design to a CNC prototype shop, sit down with their engineers for a couple of hours (or days) and explain what I've learned, and what I'm trying to do. From there have them do a CAD design and create the precision pieces I need to make this work.

Risks and challenges

The biggest risk to this project is that even though everything is made perfectly, the design is still wrong and I am unable to product sustained motion. If that were to happen, This project may enter it's 15th year without successful completion. Or possibly more.

No matter what happens, success or setback, I won't let this die. I've been working on it for too long, and I truly do believe that with the proper technology behind it, this machine will work.

Learn about accountability on Kickstarter

Support this project

  1. Select this reward

    Pledge $25 or more About $25

    A neodymium magnet used in an earlier design

    Less
    Estimated delivery
    Ships to Only United States
    Limited 0 backers
    $
    Kickstarter is not a store.

    It's a way to bring creative projects to life.

    Learn more about accountability.
  2. Select this reward

    Pledge $100 or more About $100

    Magnetic shielding material used in an earlier design

    Less
    Estimated delivery
    Ships to Only United States
    Limited 0 backers
    $
    Kickstarter is not a store.

    It's a way to bring creative projects to life.

    Learn more about accountability.

Funding period

- (30 days)