About this project
ANY PLEDGER OF AT LEAST $50+ THAT GETS US OVER 100K WILL GET THEIR NAME AS A CHARACTER IN AN ENCOUNTER IN THE BOOK OF ENCOUNTERS!
ENGRAVED DICE IT WILL BE
ALMOST AT 100K! LESS THAN 2 HOURS LEFT!!
If you would like an extra set of dice, sure you can help us defray costs by another $10. Or for another set of entire KS rewards! Just send a note with your increase.
OR IF WE SURPASS 100K THEN ALL THOSE WHO CONTRIBUTED $10 WILL GET AN EXTRA SET OF REWARDS OR DICE AUTOMATICALLY.
CURRENTLY AT APPROX 100 PLEDGES (of 100 needed) FOR ENGRAVED DICE.
I've received a ton of emails wanting the Engraved Dice and it doesn't look like we will reach 100k. If you add $10 to your order, it will help us reach this goal even if we don't reach 100k. If we get 100- $10 backers (increases or otherwise) we will put in the remaining costs for the engraved dice FOR EVERYONE. And you will be listed again in the rulebook for making it happen. If we don't get 100, the extra $10 dollars will get you either an extra set of dice or an extra set of REWARDS. If we go over 100k you will get both engraved dice AND an extra set of rewards or dice. Thanks again.
"Agents of SMERSH is unlike any other game out there . . . and
the best spy adventure game I've ever played. It meets all my
criteria for a great game and you can quote me on that." -
Richard Launius (designer of Arkham Horror, Defenders of
the Realm, and Pirates vs. Dinosaurs). Read a full
review by Richard here.
*New Review* I am honestly humbled by game designer Frank Branham's glowing review. Read it here in the forum.
FIVE STRETCH REWARDS REACHED!
The initial print run will most likely cost around 35k and that won't even include paying the artists. So while play testing I actually removed elements of the game that I liked so I could get the cost of printing down. I will bring those back (and new items) if we go over. Each Pledge of at least $50 will receive a copy of each of the stretch rewards below (except the 100 additional encounters will be in the $70 or above only and all future editions of the book).
- 30k. *REACHED!* The first reward will be THE TRAVEL DIE. It potentially makes the game a little tougher (the game is currently pretty tough). You roll it to get movement points AND to see if you can fly (flying an airplane is automatic in the core rules). The game works great without it - I took it out because it was unnecessary for gameplay but it is one of my favorite items removed. I will put it back in at 30k (for kickstarters only). I will post a picture of my Travel Die once we go over 20K (Picture of Travel Die prototype posted on BGG here)
- 40K. *REACHED!* 2 MORE CHARACTER CARDS! George has started on NEW ILLUSTRATIONS (made in the likeness of two of our supporters). We will make it into a character card and give it out to all KICKSTARTERS. Like the Travel Die, we will only print a minimum number so it will be very hard to find after KS runs.
- 50k *REACHED* A Master of Disguise - Luring you in and targeting your weakness. THE 5TH HENCHMAN CARD!
- 65K *REACHED* MORE BOOK ENCOUNTERS! This was a tough decision. But since we have time to work on the book as the base game is printing - and you guys are so great - I will be adding 100 more encounters for a total around 1640-1650. This will be in all editions of the Encounter Book - in all future prints. Thanks again!
- 82,057 *REACHED* POKER CHIP MINI EXPANSION - KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE. Each $50+ pledge will receive a custom printed (both sides) and professional grade clay poker chip - and instructions for its uses in the game. This chip will also be attached to the special ability of one of the KS only character cards. $82.1 will make AGENTS OF SMERSH the 2nd HIGHEST FUNDED KICKSTARTER GAME EVER.
- The poker chip is dual sided and you will spin it to get a result. You can use it during gambling or other one time "Hail Mary" actions. The best use will be with the additional KS character card.
- 100K - ENGRAVED DICE. Big stretch for a big reward. UPGRADED DICE. The 6 custom dice that come with the base game will be ENGRAVED. That 6 unique large 20mm dice, engraved. (Excludes the Travel Die).
Bonus Kickstarter Only Character
The Bonus Character Card - Agent Zyler - starts out with a Probed by Aliens Status Card. If you want to get this Character Card you have to pledge through Kickstarter. Link to image on BGG.
Yes, this is an expensive game. It has a lot of components. I crunched the numbers for months trying to get a good quality game made with a minimal number from China but it all came down to price. INTERNATIONAL BUYERS: Our apologies for the steep shipping. The game is heavy (even without the book) and I just could not get a reasonable price for shipping. I've grouped THREE copies at the $290 level to get shipping down for INTERNATIONAL. CORRECTION: The 2 Bundle set has the wrong shipping price. It should read $100 INTERNATIONAL/ $35 CANADA.
WHY A LARGER COMPANY MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO PRODUCE A GAME LIKE THIS . . .
- Simply paying a writer for 500-1000 hours of work would be a huge expensive for them.
There are 2 ways to play AGENTS OF SMERSH. To make the game less expensive and more versatile we took The Book of Encounters, a 200+ page book with 1500 written encounters, out of the base game and added simpler Encounter Cards. The Book of Encounters is now optional, so for a fuller storytelling experience, you can play the game with the book, players choosing reactions from a matrix, reading encounters, and rolling dice. OR you can play the base game, which includes a set of 100+ Encounter Cards.The cards do not have a reaction matrix and the text for the encounters is shorter, but game play is quicker and just as fun.
Please Note: The initial print of The Book of Encounters will be very limited. We will print enough for Kickstarter orders (Printed within the USA). We will only be able to do a full initial run if we get a lot of orders on Kickstarter. Hopefully we will print more overseas once funding is available.
FAMILY FRIENDLY? We think so . . .
I received a question asking if the game was Family Friendly. I wrote the person a very long response but simply put: the answer is YES. There is the occasional flamboyant and odd Villain type, and there are references to violent acts - also the extremely rare innuendo, but overall I tried to keep the game appropriate for kids who can read independently (by common standards), although the Box will Suggest Ages 12+. Email me if you have questions.
WHAT'S IN THE BOX?
- Original Illustrations by George Patsouras (The Resistance)
- OVER 300 Cards (including Cards that come with The Book of Encounters)
-Punchout tokens with character images in standees
- Around 100 tokens
- 5 Character Player Cards (6 WITH THE KICKSTARTER BONUS CHARACTER)
- 4 Villain Henchmen mats that set near the main board
- Main Villain Advancement Mat
- 6 Custom made dice and Dice Bag used to draw dice blindly
- Large Main Board - Custom Illustrated
- Random Player tokens and pieces (Miniatures may be added if we go over our goals)
- Optional Large Format O-Ring Bound Book of nearly 1500 written encounters (over 200 pages)
- Cooperative Gameplay. 1-4 Players. Game length average 90 minutes. For a 4 player game using the book - you may need to add 30 to this estimate.
WHAT'S THIS GAME
Agents of SMERSH is a cooperative Storytelling game that pits players as UN Secret Service Spies against SMERSH - set in an alternate 1970s timeline. The game comes with over 1500 written encounters - in a similar vein to Tales of the Arabian Nights - except game play is expanded, including custom dice to determine success or failure of encounters, and more strategic play from what is typically expected of a Storytelling board game. There are plenty of James Bond gadgets and pop references and detailed artwork - not to mention a touch of humor. The game features the artwork of George Patsouras (The Resistance & Flash Point).
Easily over 1000 hours have gone into the development of this game and by the time the project has gone to print, more than likely about 1400-1600 hours will have gone in.
Kickstarter Rewards? We have cards and dice lined up in case we go over our goals. So keep checking back!
-- LINK HERE TO BGG. WE HAVE UPLOADED A LOT OF ARTWORK
OTHER GAME ELEMENTS:
-- COOPERATIVE GAMEPLAY. Plays 1-4. And can be played within 90 minutes. Can it play 5 players? Well, yes, but due to downtime between encounters we recommend 1-4. Variant rules for 5 players will be included in rulebook.
-- A GIANT BOOK of encounters (Optional Reward). Around 1500 written encounters in a large format softbound book probably over 200 pages. A typical game requires reading of between 20-30 encounters so reply value is very high.
-- GREAT ARTWORK: George Patsouras (The Resistance & Flash Point) is creating the illustrations, including illustrating the board. He has also agreed to illustrate the likeness of a few supporters who will be placed on cards in the game! GEORGE recently agreed to do the work for another KICKSTARTER game that looks great! Go check out POLICE PRECINCT
-- PASS/FAIL CHALLENGES: Unlike Tales of the Arabian Nights, the game presents players with challenges. Each encounter has a PASS or FAIL consequence.
-- HENCHMEN with their own reference cards that players encounter from time to time.
-- GAMBLING: Yes you may be called upon as a Secret Agent to sit at a Poker Table.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (60 days)