About this project
*Correction to the $110 Level. The badge is gold or silver tone. I mistakenly wrote "sterling" metal. Thanks.
TWO WINNERS, FOUR GAMES! WIN A FREE COPY OF BOTH AGENTS OF SMERSH and our future title MYTHOS TALES! Two winners will receive BOTH games. We will place winning, personalized letters from 8th Summit inside TWO copies of ACE DETECTIVE and mail it out to two random KICKSTARTER Supporters. Another great reason to support us through KICKSTARTER and not wait! The lucky recipients of the letters will receive a free copy of BOTH AGENTS OF SMERSH AND MYTHOS TALES mailed anywhere in the world - after Kickstarter orders for those respective games are mailed. With only about 300 buyers of Ace Detective (so far) your chances are not bad.
THE NEXT STRETCH GOAL IS NOW LOWERED TO 30K! ADDITIONAL EVENT CARDS WILL BE ADDED IF WE REACH 30K - INSTEAD OF 35K.
"She gave me a smile I could feel in my hip pocket." Raymond Chandler from Farewell My Lovely (used by permission of the Chandler Estate).
Original artwork from BLACK MASK MAGAZINE including artwork never before published! Also, ACE DETECTIVE includes Narration Cards with quotes from Chandler and Dashiell Hammett.
...to become the true Ace Detective.
DO NOT WORRY IF YOU ARE NOT A GREAT STORY TELLER, Ace Detective is not unforgiving. The game is fun and engaging and can be enjoyed by all game lovers.
THE BASE GAME OF ACE DETECTIVE CONTAINS:
- 80 Story Cards
- 24 Clue Cards
- ~30 Narration Cards
- 5 Character Cards
- ~20 Crime Cards
- 25 Rating Cards
- 12 Suspect Cards
- Over 50 Suspect Tokens
- Plot Tokens
- A d6
- 1st Player Token
- Rulebook with Noir Dictionary
ACE DETECTIVE RULES HERE (BETA VERSION WITH PROTOTYPE IMAGES)
- ADDITIONAL SUSPECT CARD (EXCLUSIVE ONE TIME PRINTING)
- TWO ADDITIONAL CHARACTER CARDS (EXCLUSIVE ONE TIME PRINTING)
- 20K STRETCH REWARD: 5 LOVECRAFT NARRATION CARDS. YES, QUOTES FROM HOWARD LOVECRAFT to use in the game and add a bit of the supernatural and strange. Narration cards are read aloud and added to the story.
- 35K STRETCH REWARD: 8 Clue Event Cards exclusive to Kickstarter.
- 50K STRETCH REWARD: TBA!
Strange Tales adds Fantasy Noir into your game . . . featuring artwork from Weird Tales Magazine. It also adds 2 new mechanics, one of which is the Suspect Secrets cards. These cards can really change the coarse of the game.
Ace Detective: Strange Tales will only see a future printing if the game sells well. So this might be your only chance to get it. At any rate, this expansion will not be sold until well into 2013. So get this expansion on Kickstarter way ahead of our planned release.
- Each player starts with a hand of 4 Story Cards, 1 Clue Card and 1 Narrative Card. Players each have 5 Rating Cards. Also you have 12 Suspect tokens, face down. Player draws 3 at random, looking at them and placing 1 on a suspect of choice.
- A crime card is selected and details read aloud. An investigator is selected. All players together tell the story of a single investigator investigating a single crime with multiple suspects.
- Game is ready to play! On your turn you can play up to 2 Story/Clue Cards and 1 Narrative Card.
- Tell your story. On your turn you expand upon the story from the previous storytellers - instructions for telling stories are simple. You simple state aloud a a few sentences and play your cards on the table. The large symbol on the cards must match one of the 3 smaller symbols of the previous card. Players then rate your story accordingly. You also rate yourself (however you own rating does not affect total Plot Tokens awarded). Players who match the storyteller's personal rating gain 1 Plot Point Bonus. The storyteller also gain a bonus if player's match his/her own rating. BUT NEVER FEAR. IF YOU ARE NOT A GREAT STORY TELLER, Ace Detective is not unforgiving. With a little luck and strategy you can still win.
- Spend your Plot Tokens. You may spend them to do a variety of things - draw Story Cards, Clue Cards, or Narrative Cards. You may also spend them to reroll a die. You may spend them to place one of your Clue Tokens on a suspect as well as peak at other Clue Tokens.
- Game ends once a number of Clue Tokens are placed. The Suspect with the most physical Clue Tokens is the guilty suspect. The player with the most in points located on the opposite side of the Clue Tokens (Clue Tokens range from -2 to +2) is the winner.
- Game time ranges from 60-90 minutes. A 2 Player game may last 45 minutes although the game plays best with 3+. Will will provide suggestions to shorten or even lengthen the game.
DEVELOPER: 8TH SUMMIT GAMES
All color, and all black and white art from Black Mask Magazine used with permission, and copyright 2012 Keith Alan Deutsch, successor-in-interest to Popular Publications, Inc. For information: keithdeutsch@mac.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (31 days)