About this project
It's a wheel that comes from a cube. Remarkably, it's a perfect cube AND a perfect circle AND a perfect snakelike sine wave!
After the Kickstarter ends please visit SharkWheel.com and SharkWheelSkate.com More videos, images, product, and cool features will be found on our websites. Enter your email on the site to receive updates and discount codes.
---------CHECK OUT OUR 'UPDATES' SECTION FOR MORE COOL STUFF AND VIEW THE AWESOME VIDEOS JUST BELOW---------
Shark Wheel=Square Wheel.
Simply put, Shark Wheels are skateboard wheels that are faster, have phenomenal grip, slide better and look incredible. They're also amazing performers in rain, gravel and on soft surfaces. They feel perfectly circular when you're riding, but look like a square from the side when in motion. The snakelike pattern looks amazing going down the road and has superior performance in every category. It's the most innovative skateboard wheel to date!
We're offering our first production run exclusively to the Kickstarter community. Take advantage of our EARLY BIRD SPECIAL and get your very own set of Shark Wheels below retail price (see Rewards for more details).
1. Shark Wheels are faster. The design allows for a thin contact patch touching the ground and therefore less rolling resistance resulting in a quicker ride.
2. Shark Wheels have more grip and sliding control. The alternating pattern equates to increased control - the width is increased, but the friction is decreased! The sine wave design provides three lips per wheel for superior lateral grip. A traditional wheel only has one.
3. Shark Wheels are better than traditional wheels on varying terrain. The sine wave pattern smoothly funnels any debris aside instead of it being 'steamrolled' over like traditional wheels. The speed and control on soft surfaces is unreal.
4. Shark Wheels are the perfect rain / gravel wheels. The alternating pattern of grooves significantly reduces hydroplaning by channeling liquid, sand or gravel out and away from the surface of the wheel, allowing for a firm contact patch with the ground. Also, the rounded edges allow liquid, sand or gravel to pass around the wheel, providing unparalleled grip over wet and loose traction surfaces.
5. Shark Wheels have more design options. Our wheels allow for graphics and/or piezoelectric lights in the deep grooves in the FACE of the wheel. A new canvas that never existed before is now available to customize!
6. Shark Wheels can be customized to virtually any riders preference. Because our wheels are made of sections that can interlock, we will be able to allow riders to mix different durometers (hardness levels) in ONE wheel and allow for endless customization options for the ultimate ride.
“These wheels make riding in the rain fun and safer because I have so much more control. I’ve never felt so comfortable on a wheel.” --G.S. Santa Monica, CA
“The customization feature is awesome. I think this could be ground breaking for skate wheel designs.”--E.B. Redondo Beach, CA
“I love the shape. They get crazy reactions from people because they look like they would be impossible to roll.”--A. M. Mission Viejo, CA
"I don't even understand how these wheels are possible. From just looking at them you would think they couldn't possibly ride the way they do. They feel so smooth it is like a magic trick or something!."--G.M. Culver City, CA
"It actually looks like a square from the side..crazy!"--C.W. Los Angeles, CA
"I ride every day. BEST. WHEELS. EVER! You guys have a home run here."--T.R. Irvine, CA
How to get your very own set of Shark Wheels.
The Kickstarter community has the opportunity to contribute to reinventing the wheel. With funding assistance, in exchange for some pretty cool rewards, you will be involved in the process. Get incredibly inexpensive prices on our rewards page... we 'literally' reinvented the wheel and we 'literally' want to get this off the ground! Try out our 70mm longboard wheels, we think they are the best wheels in the market. Skateboard wheels (street, trick) are coming VERY VERY soon, so be on the lookout--sign up on SharkWheelSkate.com for all of the latest updates and savings codes. You will be entered to win some free Shark Wheel gear signed by the inventor!
The Shark Wheel Skate 70mm longboard wheels fit onto all existing longboards and have a standard hub. Make sure that the size of the trucks accommodates a standard 70mm wheel so that you don’t end up with wheel bite between the wheel and deck, just as you would with any other wheel brand.
Shark Wheel is a start-up company located in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. Within a few short months, we have obtained a patent on our design (domestic and international), created various prototypes, and were featured on the front page of the Los Angeles Business Journal for designing a wheel that rivals the traditional circular wheel. Since our start in 2012, we have made leaps and bounds in progress and are confident we will go to market very soon (with a little help from the Kickstarter community, of course).
Where have we been and where are we going?
We realized this shape could roll during the last part of 2012, and spent 6 months proceeding with the following:
-Patenting the Shark Wheel domestically and internationally
-Modeling our design in CAD software and then 3D printing the wheel in various sizes and design off-shoots
-Casting and pouring dozens of iterations of each wheel model
-Testing wheel performance in various conditions and with focus groups of experienced riders
-Perfecting and refining our modular design in CAD
-Injection molding our finalized design with industry standard urethane
-Launching our Kickstarter campaign
Shark Wheel Team
David Patrick - Inventor and CTO
Gary Fleishman - CEO
Zack Fleishman - COO
George Wong - CFO
Andy Marin - Marketing Director and Graphic Design
Pedro Valdez - Senior Mold Making and Development
Zach Schwartz - Senior Director, Strategy and Development
Michael Hui - Operations and Marketing
Samantha Patrick - Social Media and Product Testing
Shark Wheel is a portfolio company of the Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI-www.laincubator.org). Thanks to LACI, Shark Wheel has swiftly moved from the idea phase through the development phase.
Risks and challenges
We anticipate that the only obstacle in our way with this project is minor production delays. We will give frequent updates on our progress and any time delays (because we will be working on some manufacturers' schedules) will not be substantial.
We will give immediate updates (good and bad) the minute we know them. We have already worked our way through the design challenges and we are simply in need of funding for our production run.
Aside from Shark Wheel, we have another startup company that runs through the Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI--laincubator.org). We are a 'green' company with green technology and have shown extreme potential in our designs by being LACI's newest portfolio company. We have put all of our funds into getting this far and we are at the home stretch. Be a part of creating the coolest wheel on the planet by contributing here on Kickstarter!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (35 days)