We have all been there, prying and scraping at a finished print only to ruin it, or even worse, injure ourselves.
Those of us familiar with 3D printing know that PEI is unrivaled for its adhesion properties to a majority of filaments, however, some filaments (such as PETG) can stick too well.
Let's face it, we don't want to wait for the bed plate to cool down to remove a printed part; we're makers, we want to create things, and do it as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Our product is a flex-plate/flex-plate system that fits nearly any 3D printer; it consists of a double or single-sided (your choice), PEI coated laser cut spring steel sheet and an accompanying 150º C rated adhesive-backed magnet if you choose the flex-plate system.
The texture of the PEI coating offers excellent adhesion because it creates more surface area for the filament to adhere to.
With our PEI coated sheets, you can spend more time enjoying printing and less time removing prints! Our flex-plate system offers the following advantages:
- Customizable. Each backer gets to specify exactly what size and shape they want, up to 350mm for the longest dimension and either rectangular or circular. Also, backers get to choose whether they would like one side or both sides PEI coated! If you choose a single sided coating, this allows you to apply your own thin build surface, such as Garolite or Kapton, to the non-coated side of the sheet for printing aerospace grade filaments, such as: Nylon, PEEK, or Ultem. We put the power of choice in your hands! If you want a sheet made for a specific model of printer, such as the MK3, you will also be able to specify this.
- Simple. When a print completes, simply take the plate off and flex either side of it to release the print with ease; there is no risk of injuring the part or yourself!
- Beautiful, textured finish on the first layer of your prints.
- Quick swap plates to facilitate back-to-back printing.
- Genuine PEI. PEI is a non-proprietary bed surface material that offers incredible adhesion properties to a majority of filaments.
- Durable. PEI coating is not prone to being cracked or gouged such as what can be experienced with traditional sheets of PEI that require a scraper tool to remove completed prints.
- High temperature rated. The adhesive-backed magnet is rated for 150º C, which will satisfy toasty bed plate enthusiasts.
- Auto bed leveling compatible. Capacitive, inductive, and touched-based sensors work great with our sheet.
Watch the video below for Uncle Jessy's hands-on review:
Click on the following images to see the uniform texture of the PEI coating in more detail.
We are delighted to say that every backer will receive free shipping. Every reward includes the price of shipping regardless of where you are located. Packages will be shipped with tracking using USPS. For international buyers, please note that USPS doesn't provide tracking for all countries. Shipments to backers will be made after production ends and is quality checked.
Upon the successful funding of the campaign, backers will provide us with the length and width (or diameter) dimensions of the sheet they want us to produce, up to 350mm for the longest dimension. For rectangular sheets, backers can specify which side they want the finger tabs to be placed, either on the short or the long side of the rectangle. Circular sheets will have one finger tab automatically placed. Backers will also specify if they would like one side or both sides PEI coated. If you want a sheet made for a specific model of printer, such as the MK3, you will also be able to specify this.
Even though the reward fulfillment dates are set to September, it is our goal to fulfill rewards much sooner than this.
- Raw material procurement. We have already lined up our suppliers and they're excited to receive our first orders upon the successful funding of the campaign.
- Manufacturing. Manufacturing will be based in the USA and will utilize laser cutting and PEI coating processes. For efficiency, orders will be nested and batched together which results in a faster turnaround time and less waste in raw material.
Because we have been developing our product and manufacturing process for over a year, as well as receiving positive feedback from our beta testers, we are confident that we can transition into mass production shortly after the campaign ends.
Special Thanks and Credits
- Final Shine Productions
- Walter - Kuntry 3D
- Ryan - Mr. Butram
- Dan - Slice Engineering
- Brian and Lykle - Zesty Technology
- Prusa Research - Progenitors of PEI flex-plates
Risks and challenges
We want to be transparent and honest about any issues faced in production. We will post updates to the Updates tab on the campaign page for any issues we encounter as well as our current stage of production.
The biggest challenges that will be faced comes down to the quality of manufacturing. We don't want to have an overpriced product, but at the same time we don't want to have a cheaply made product that is of poor or varying quality.
We will be manufacturing our product in the USA; the advantage of doing this, is that it allows us to have a greater control over quality without suffering the challenges that can be associated with outsourcing. Keeping manufacturing in the USA will also allow rewards to be fulfilled more quickly than if we were to outsource.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Environmental commitmentsVisit our Environmental Resources Center to learn how Kickstarter encourages sustainable practices.
- (30 days)