Project: Cosplayers Unite brings 17 cosplayers together to create a 18 month calendar and the SCG Digital Magazine Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on September 8, 2013.
About this project
SCG Presents: Project Cosplayers Unite
SCG is a team focused on cosplay photography and community building. Through the efforts of a dedicated crew of photographers, content managers, and cosplayers, SCG has established itself as a brand within the cosplay community. New cosplayers are shared with a growing community of cosplay fans world-wide.
SCG would like to share the joys of cosplay through the talents and beauty of an international group of cosplayers. We have planned 9 themed photoshoots, out on different locations, with these cosplayers to suit many different fandoms and tastes.
The goal is to create a multi-media cosplay experience. This will include a series of photo shoots aimed at creating a unique 18 month calendar, in which all images will be group photos, and producing content for the launch of SCG's online magazine which will be available on mobile and web absolutely free. The cosplayers invited will also attend London MCM Comic Con in October where their followers can meet them.
We will partner with Sneaky Zebra to produce a video about the shoot experience with the cosplayers. They have extensive experience covering conventions and producing original material for their YouTube channel.
We will also partner with Martin Wong, a California based photographer known for his colourful images of some of the most renowned cosplayers.
That’s not all, Hidrico, the insanely talented photo retoucher from Spain, will be doing his magic to make our calendar even more unique.
Why do we need £30k?
You are probably wondering why we need so much, so I'm going to explain where the money is going.
- Flights - The majority of the cosplayers are coming from outside of the UK, and they are bringing a few costumes, extra luggage may be needed.
- Accommodation and food - We need to provide accommodation and food for all 17 cosplayers and the crew for a whole week.
- Transport - We need to get everyone from the airport to the hotel, and from the hotel to the locations where we are going to be doing the photo shoots.
- Location - We will need hire locations for the majority of the photo shoots, and that comes with a cost.
- Convention - We will need to provide tickets for MCM Expo for all the cosplayers and the crew.
- Production - We need to cover the costs of all the posters, calendars, dvds, collectible cards and t-shirts.
Who are the cosplayers?
Ani-Mia has modeled since 2001 and has cosplayed since 2008. She travels across the United States in pursuit of her passion for cosplay. She has served as a cosplay judge, appeared in several print and online magazines, and has a love for Funko Pop toy collectibles.
Miss Sinister: America
Even as a relative new comer, Miss Sinister has made quite the name for herself. She has captured the spirit of characters from fighting games to anime. Her work is featured on several online magazines. She serves as an ambassador for Crunchyroll as well as a representative for Samhain Contact Lenses.
Hikari Kat: Spain
Based in Barcelona, Hikari Kat works as an illustrator. Her artistic eye and attention to detail really comes out in her commitment to costuming. She hopes to work as a concept artist in the video game industry.
Giada Robin: Italy
Giada Robin is a multi-lingual alt-model from Italy. She has worked as an events coordinator and events promoter. She has been cosplaying since 2008 and in this time has served as a guest cosplayer and judge at conventions across Europe.
Licorne has been dressing up as some of our favorite characters since 2006. She participates in cosplay competitions as a cosplayer, judge, and organizer. She also champions the needs of the less fortunate in her community by organizing the Hungarian Cosplay Charity Gala.
Enji Night: Hungary
Enji has recently finished her degree in Light Industrial Design, even with her busy schedule she continues to bring out new cosplays and her commitment to quality shows. She is an avid gamer and a fan of many types of genre fiction.
Aigue-Marine is a multi-talented cosplayer with over 50 unique costumes to her name. She has nearly 10 years of experience in cosplay and has garnered a great deal of attention for her work. Aigue-Marine is a student in advertising and marketing as well as a singer.
Paine started sewing around 6 years ago and takes great pleasure in the craft of costuming. All of her costumes are hand-made and her craftsmanship has won her several awards.
Nikita has represented France at the World Cosplay Summit twice. She has won awards and is internationally recognised for her craftsmanship in costuming. She has made over 40 costumes and has been cosplaying since 2006.
Lucioles has attended conventions all across the world and has designed over 100 costumes. She loves anime, manga, and comic books. She has represented France in many cosplay competitions.
Black Cat: Australia
Black Cat has always had the dream of attending a convention abroad. She is a graphic designer from Sydney that plays bass guitar, enjoys horror movies, and loves burlesque.
Eve Beauregard: Australia
Eve Beauregard is a cosmetician and has been cosplaying for around 5 years, her experience with make-up coupled with the lengths she goes to with her photographer to make exceptional photoshoots helps her bring her favourite characters to life.
Stacey Rebecca: United Kingdom
A budding mathematician with a passion for video games (mainly Assassin's Creed and Kingdom Hearts), Batman and Harry Potter. Stacey has an alt-modelling background, but being a geek she decided to give cosplay a try and now she can't get away from it, she is as much of a character as those she cosplays, be it by derping or goofing around.
Kelly Jean: United Kingdom
Kelly Jean is one of our girls in the project but predominantly she is the production manager. After finishing studies for Fashion and Textiles she has remained self employed doing the most random work from Hentai voice acting to building fake flamethrowers. She also sings and songwrites in a band called Rexon.
Masubi: United Kingdom
Masubi, who often cosplays with her cosplay partner Locust, is also a photographer from SCG. Due to being both a cosplayer and a model, as well as an exceptional graphic designer, she has one of the best eyes for truly bringing cosplay to life.
Tabitha Lyons: United Kingdom
Tabitha is one of the main members of Artyfakes, a company that specialises in making LARP weapons and props, but they can make just about anything you can think of. She has been making props since she was 12 years old and her experience has given her an eye for detail and the ability to create amazing costumes.
The 17th cosplayer remains a secret for now, so be sure to watch out for our updates.
About the Rewards
All perks that involve shipping will start being sent out in December. That allows enough time for the photos to be processed, and the posters, calendars and DVDs to be produced.
Here is more information about the perks:
- Thank you Postcards will be a group photo of all the cosplayers involved and their printed signature.
- All posters will be of photos from this project, there will be a variety of images from each photoshoot for you to choose from.
- Each page of the calendar will be A3 size, each month will be a different photo, and they will all be group images.
- The videos in the behind the scenes DVD will be separated in chapters (photoshoots).
- You can only get the project T-shirt if you are a backer.
- MW Exclusive Collectible Cards will contain individual shots of each cosplayer wearing every costume they wear during the project.
- The Official Backer Bundle includes all the perks apart from MW Exclusive Collectible Cards.
- For you to be a zombie, you need to be able to make your own way to the location (London or surrounding areas).This will happen some time between 21-25th October 2013.
- You get a chance to meet and share a meal with all the cosplayers involved in the project and the SCG team. You will also receive a pass, that gives you access to London MCM Comic Con, in October, for the whole weekend (25-27th). We reserve the right to ask you to remove yourself from the venue, if we think your behaviour is inappropriate. You should be able to provide your own transport to the venue (London).
Risks and challenges
Although extensive planning has gone into this project, there are some factors we have no control over. We have plans in place to continue if a cosplayer is forced to withdraw or in the event of unsuitable weather.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (30 days)