- re·cess \rēˌses,riˈses\
- a line of fresh and slim leather accessories created by three friends focused on reducing the bulging wallet epidemic spreading across America.
A sleek and slim wallet that doesn't create a bulge in one's pocket; inspired by the minimalist. The thinnest solution for organizing cash and most used cards. Intended for reduction of wallet bulge syndrome (henceforth known as WBS). Designed for 3-6 cards & cash. Dimensions: 4.3” x 2.7” x .25"
Designed for the person on the go. It's a bi-fold wallet with a twist that has an easy to access frontal pocket where one can conveniently store one's commuter card, ID, credit cards or cash. Common usage includes storage of driver's license so that when a bouncer asks for one's id, one does not become mr. id fumbly pants. Designed for 6 cards & cash. Dimensions: 4.5" x 3.2” x .50”
A classic bi-fold wallet designed with clean lines and edges. Designed as the "standard" staple for every man with enough space to conveniently store plenty of cards and enough cash for a crazy night out, it still maintains a polished, slim look. Designed for 8 cards & cash. Dimensions: 4.3” x 3.5” x .5"
In early 2013, three men (Tim, Ravi, and Daniel) went shopping for Tim before a first date. Many aisles and endless racks of clothing later, the ever meticulous Tim finally settled on an outfit everyone deemed "perfect". But as they walked to the register, Tim pulled out a fat, tattered, and “I got this in high school” wallet. Ravi and Daniel looked at each other and wondered: why would Tim (or anyone) pull out all the stops for a date – or an interview, or a wedding -- but carry around a wallet that looks like ballooning road kill? And so, the search began that day for a wallet for Tim.
Exhibit A. Tim's Wallet Early 2013 vs. Tim's Current Wallet
Finding Tim a nice slim wallet was no easy task. The three were inundated with typical cookie-cutter black or brown wallets. The few brands using bold colors and unique materials typically cost $200 to $300. So hence began the baby steps that lead to recess.
Team recess then began developing a product with the context in mind: for example, a night out where a guy just needs a few cards and cash, where he can leave behind the bulging wallet so prevalent across the male demographic. recess goods are designed to be thin and sleek with playful, yet sophisticated colors and textures. For this, recess uses materials ranging from the finest Italian and American genuine leathers, European wools, and Chinese silks.
Ultimately, team recess hopes each of its customers will feel the warmth and love put into every one of its products, like one feels after listening to Elton John's "Can You Feel the Love Tonight."
Premium Full Grain Leather: Carefully hand selected premium leather produced in the United States and Europe.
Worsted Wool Houndstooth and Silk Satin Interior Lining: After reviewing thousands of sample materials team recess settled on super 100's worsted houndstooth wool found in the finest wool suits, and silk satin originating from the silk capital of the world, Hangzhou, China.
Contrast Leather Trim: Bound leather trim decreases fraying, and increases durability. To create wallets with contrast leather trim (bound edge), the leather needs to be first thinned through a skiving machine, and then stitched together using a heavy industrial sewing machine.
Contrast Loop Stitches: Added reinforcement to areas of the greatest stress (tugging and pulling) in order to maximize durability.
Sleek and Thin Design: Removed all unnecessary elements, and kept only what is needed to reduce bulk for a clean refreshing look.
- Embossed Log: One must know it's recess time!
End of dictionary
Why recess Needs Your Help:
Your contribution will allow us to meet minimum order quantities and purchase all the raw materials at a discounted rate for our initial batch. Based on funding levels we receive, we will be able to "unlock" additional colorways, materials, and styles. So keep an eye out for them!
recess' Mission & Values:
1. Philosophy: We formulated recess with one basic question in mind: What was recess for us when we were kids? In other words, what do we really love to do? At the core of it, it involves pursuing our passions, taking time to reflect, seeking authenticity, and being conscious of all our decisions and actions.
2. Design & Materials: Our designs are inspired by both modern and classic motifs packaged into slim and sleek forms by removing all unnecessary elements. Additionally, we meticulously comb through thousands of samples to source only the finest natural materials.
3. Manufacturing: One of our core goals is to never lose touch with, and be directly connected with the people and the places where our goods are produced. We will be on the ground at the factory during production to ensure that working and safety conditions meet the highest standards.
4. Price: Our goals is to deliver our premium products directly to our customers at wholesale prices, thereby cutting out the middle man and all the “bullshtick” that goes along with “luxury”.
Risks and challenges
The greatest risk and challenge team recess will encounter is dealing with multiple suppliers and coordinating scheduling for successful and timely order fulfillment. To mitigate these risks, the team has worked meticulously to develop a schedule with all suppliers to ensure the raw materials are delivered on time and budget.
Additionally, we've coordinated with our factory to ensure that they have excess capacity during our production cycle to reduce any possible delays. Lastly, we will be at the factory during the production process to QA all products before they are delivered.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)