Amya tells the story of Faye, a mute spell-touched who lives a sheltered life as the youngest daughter to a great lord. She is burdened with dark dreams of an apocalypse, and it isn't long until her tranquil life changes when a fateful encounter with a young man sends her on a spiraling journey of self-discovery.
As Faye and her unlikely companions pursue an adventure that is greater than any of them could have anticipated, she discovers how heavy the burden she carries truly is. She is to be the pinnacle of the world's survival or destruction, and must decide if she wishes to sacrifice her own humanity for the world -- or the world for her humanity.
Amya is a high-fantasy graphic novel that we have dedicated our time and skill to publishing since September 2009, though the story began years prior. We consider Amya much more than a hobby, it is a passion. This volume will include the last five years of our work, including:
- Chapters One through Four.
- Four short stories.
- Nine portfolios.
- A gallery of artwork.
- + More, dependant on stretch goals.
Without stretch goals the book will be 360 pages, sewn softbound with french folds and a beautiful gold foil intigrated into the cover design. It will be stunning.
Savannah Houston-McIntyre - Lead Writer / Creator
Savannah was born in the quaint year of 1987 and has been a writer ever since. She now lives in the magical town of Stratford, Ontario. She loves nothing more than to sit by the river and watch the swans go by as she plots in her notebooks. Savannah has published her graphic novel work over the last five years, but is also known for her poetry and running workshops on creating graphic novels and independent publishing.
Andrew Hewitt - Co-Writer
Andrew Hewitt completed his university degree in philosophy and psychology before beginning his work on Amya Chronicles alongside Savannah. He currently resides in Stratford, Ontario. In addition to writing he enjoys fencing and a good game of Dungeons and Dragons.
Rebecca Gunter-Ryan - Illustrator
Rebecca got her start in 2007 working in Florida as a freelance artist for various comics and games. She aims to present her writers' creations as diversely human, to give characters distinct bodies and facial features, with personalized ranges of expression. Her favorite comic artists include Kentaro Miura, Hiromu Arakawa, Ed Benes, Ai Yazawa and Bruce Timm, and her favorite character design influences are scattered throughout 90's anime and video games. Her ongoing works include Amya, Anathema, War of Ninja, and Solar Salvage.
As an independent publisher, printing comics at the level of quality that readers expect is financially challenging. Due to Savannah's ongoing health problems, it is difficult for us to tackle such a challenge on our own. We will need your help to bring this book to life, and to continue with our dream!
It is our hope you will help us raise $16,100 CAD to make this project a reality. This amount accounts for the cost of printing the books, as well as the shipping and rewards.
We have a number of rewards available at this time. This list may expand as goals and stretch-goals are met!:
- Digital PDF : Available with all donation levels.
- Stickers : We have 9 sticker designs available.
- Postcards : There are 12 designs available.
- Glitter Bookmarks : We have three designs available.
- Wiper Charm : They plug into you audio jack and keep your screens clean! Two Rain designs available.
- Pencil / Make-up Bags : Three designs available.
- A unique bookplate sketched by Rebecca just for you!
- Unique art cards drawn and coloured by Rebecca.
- A limited edition Artbook containing all of our 2013-2014 prints.
- Cuddly Pillow Plushes of Faye and Lenna.
- Pillow cases with Rain designs. Who doesn't like leopard cubs?
- Limited edition canvas prints signed by Rebecca.
- The chance to appear in the comic!
The four stretch goals we have decided to focus on are as follows:
The first stretch goal will be a content upgrade; a short story of Faye at $17,800. It will be an eight page tale written by Savannah, lined by the amazing Amanda Coronado of Vamplets, and water coloured by the lovely Cari Corene of Story of The Door and Destined Legends. Please check update #10 for examples of their work.
Please check the update page for more information on the individual goals as they approach.
If we surpass these goals, you can expect the following targets to be added:
- More short stories!
- A limited edition Chapter 4 floppy.
- More Plush designs!
- Upgrades to the book.
- And more, more, more! We have so many ideas to share!
If you cannot donate financially, please consider donating your time and sharing this project with another. It's a great way to see this dream become a reality and is as simple as sharing our link on Facebook, Twitter, or Tumblr! Talk to your friends, e-mail your family - drive them wild with none-stop Amya spoilers! Every link to the campaign helps and we will be most grateful.
Risks and challenges
There is very little work, as the creative work is already finished.
However, during our last fundraising campaign, we discovered two factors which became a huge impediment to our turn around. We think we have prepared ourselves well to make sure they won't happen again!
1. Shipping - Canada post increased international shipping costs twice during our last project, which was a huge financial hit for me to take. To combat this, I have included a 2% inflation buffer to our goal. This will stop this from affecting timely shipping, if it were to happen again, and make sure international parcels are sent out in a timely fashion.
2. Printing - The last printer we worked with increased the production time of chapter three by over six months with delays and errors. We have hunted far and wide for a new printer with glowing reviews from our peers, and will be going with Print Ninja. We have been teamed up with an amazing rep, and I am confident everything will move forward without a hitch.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (40 days)