About this project
Fresh Truck is a social business that will operate a retrofitted school bus as a mobile farmers market, serving Boston neighborhoods with fresh, affordable fruits and vegetables. We plan to use the funds raised from the Kickstarter to purchase an eco-friendly schoolbus and retrofitting materials in order to launch Spring 2013.
While Boston has done well to invest in a range of community health initiatives, food deserts continue to be a pressing community health concern. Families that reside in food deserts consume on average fewer fruits and vegetables, and endure higher rates of diet-related health issues.
"A food desert is a district in an urban or rural setting with little or no access to large grocery stores that offer fresh and affordable foods needed to maintain a healthy diet." - Julie Smith, Green Cities: An A-to-Z Guide
Fresh Truck will have a regular weekly schedule, reaching multiple neighborhoods each day and targeting communities that are most underserved in terms of food access. Fresh Truck will alter the environment where families residing in food deserts make their food shopping decisions in favor of a healthier lifestyle. This concept is based on a proven model that has been very successful and impactful in other major cities, such as Chicago and Washington, D.C.
With an add-value approach, Fresh Truck will foster community engagement and establish strong working partnerships with key stakeholders including health centers, schools, and other community-based organizations to maximize outreach. Fresh Truck is able to add to the capacity of existing community health programs and school curriculum by utilizing the truck as a platform to educate youth and families around healthy eating, meal preparation and urban agriculture.
So far we have been fortunate to have the initial support of a great team of people and several organizations, such as Boston Rising, a local nonprofit. We are now fully prepared to launch this venture and need your support to take the next step to become operational. The funds raised through this KickStarter will allow us to purchase an eco-friendly schoolbus that we have already identified, as well as install all retrofittings such as hardwood floors, foldout racks for produce, checkout counter, POS system, and exterior bus design.
- Dan is the Co-founder and Chief Executive Officer of Fresh Truck; he oversees and manages the daily operations of the business and investor relations.
- Josh is the Co-founder and Chief Marketing Officer of Fresh Truck; he is primarily responsible for communications, strategic partnerships, community outreach and social innovations.
- Igor is the Chief Creative Officer of Fresh Truck; he is primarily responsible for Fresh Truck’s branding, web site development, and graphic design.
- Prashanth is the Chief Strategy Officer of Fresh Truck; he is primarily responsible for the overall financial and business development strategy of Fresh Truck.
- Bari is the Public Relations Director of Fresh Truck; she is responsible for Fresh Truck’s social media outreach and public relations.
Risks and challenges
Fresh Truck has outlined three challenges which we will face in completing our project: city regulations, community integration, and food safety. Fresh Truck has mitigated a lot of these challenges with a diverse team, experienced board and strong community support system.
1) All necessary licenses and permits from the City of Boston are essential for a streamlined operation across our targeted neighborhoods. The Fresh Truck leadership team maintains strong ties with the public sector through years of intensive collaborative work. Fresh Truck has had discussions with the relevant City of Boston agencies to outline timetables for obtaining all necessary licenses and permits.
2) Fresh Truck recognizes the value of collaborating with community-based organizations and attaining the buy-in of grassroots community leaders. These groups and individuals will help Fresh Truck establish key distribution channels. The Fresh Truck leadership team is deeply rooted in the Boston's communities through extensive work in the nonprofit sector, which has led to strong relationships with key organizations essential to our success.
3) Ensuring safe handling and storage of produce throughout the supply chain is of the upmost importance to Fresh Truck. Fresh Truck has outlined a set of safety considerations specific to the company and the leadership team continues to draw on the insights of high-level food industry executives to develop a standard of operational excellence and safety.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (50 days)