This project's funding goal was not reached on July 18, 2012.
About this project
What is the RepRap Project?
Look at your computer setup and imagine that you hooked it up to a 3D printer. Instead of printing on paper, this 3D printer prints real, robust, mechanical parts. To give you an idea of how robust, a material it can print is ABS -- the same stuff that Legos are made of. With this printer, you can print just about anything that fits within its printable dimensions, including several parts to make another 3D printer. This is a machine that can copy itself!
RepRap is short for Replicating Rapid-prototyper. The 3D printer works by laying down lines of melted filament that build up one layer at a time. For the most part prints aren't finely detailed, but advances in process are getting better all the time.
Here is an excellent video from the Reprap founders showing how the Mendel Reprap works, worth the watch!-(www.youtube.com/watch...)
What's the point?
The Reprap Project (www.reprap.org) envisions that 3D printing will be found in every home in the future. This vision will change the way goods are made. Instead of running to the shop every time you need a little trinket for one thing or another, you could likely make it at home for the cost of materials. For most homes this is still a dream, but with the help of the developer community the printer is constantly evolving. It is printing faster, more precisely, and with new materials. One day the machine will be able to print 100% of all its parts.
"If RepRap takes off, and increases it abilities by evolution to manufacture more and more products, then people having these machines in their homes will mean there will no longer be a need, or no longer be such a big need for factories to make the goods that they want. When they want something, it will simply be a question of downloading it from the web in the way that they currently do with music or film or anything else. That downloaded file would then allow them to manufacture whatever object it was they that wanted in their home no transport involved..."
- Dr. Adrian Bowyer, University of Bath
The goal I'm working to achieve is building these for other people at the cost of materials and help others get in on the reprap project. I'm trying to do this locally/through communities I'm getting more involved with that are interested and could benefit from having their own printer.
How does this Kickstarter project fall in with the Reprap Project?
Well, the short version is anyone with a Reprap can make many of the parts to build another. I want to help the Reprap project by setting up my Reprap quickly and begin printing parts for others to build their own machine and help the movement expand. The funds raised will be used to build a RepRap 3D printer and cover the costs of shipping and printing rewards. The parts printed will be distributed to help the adoption of Reprap technologies and showcase the current capabilities of this revolutionary machine.
This is the current list of rewards I am offering, but am open to adding more.. If you find something else you like on www.thingiverse.com we can discuss adding it as a reward. Rewards will be printed and shipped as quickly as they can be. Considering the huge curve of this project, it may take some time to print quality parts.
- Owl headphone wrapper- http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5595
- Access card holder- http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5572
- Triangle Pendant-http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5663
- 2D Spring Generator-http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5713
- Bag clip-http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5615
- Reuleaux Triangle-http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5456
- Pill box insert for Altoids tins-http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5422
- Mustache Ring-http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5123
- Rubber-Band Bow and Arrow-http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4691
- Companion Cube-http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1622
- 3D Knot-http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5506
- Vica Illusion Sculpture-http://www.thingiverse.com/derivative:5915
- Ceiling Cat!-http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5522
- Iphone 4 case-http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5473
- Functionable wearable glasses-http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5544
- Air gap leak preventer-http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5446
- Wall outlet cell phone holder-http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5379
- Do-Nothing Machine-http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5103
- Matchbox Puzzle Box-http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4935
- A-Mazing Box-http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1481
- Printable Geneva Wheel-http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1642
- Four Pack bottle carrier-http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5400
- Outer Twisted Triangle-http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4989
- Poker Chips(Full Set)-http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4698
- Snap-together polyhedron vertices-http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4893
- Gothic Cathedral Play Set-http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2030
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (30 days)