Combat Core - High-Powered Arena Brawler!
Futuristic arena fighting game with crazy powers and custom characters, inspired by Power Stone, Custom Robo, and Dragon Ball Z!
New! Gameplay Mechanics overview:
Combat Core is a 3D arena fighting game that borrows elements from games like Power Stone, Custom Robo, and Super Smash Bros. Hyper-powered multiplayer combat with custom fighters, weapon pickups, powerups, and environmental hazards! The game is currently in development for PC, Mac, and Ouya.
My most memorable gaming experiences are competitive couch-multiplayer games on the NES, SNES, N64, Playstation, and Dreamcast with my friends and family. I designed the mechanics of Combat Core to bring back the glory of fast paced, intuitive, fun, and competitive multiplayer.
Players can battle from 1v1 up to 4-player battle royale or team modes. Players can choose from original characters, or create their own combatants with varying stats, attacks, skills, unique appearance, and a power core to grant special attacks and stats boosts.
The 4-button control scheme allows the game to be easy to pick-up and play, and the mechanics are tuned to reward both strategy and aggressive play by tying the energy meter to both offense and defense.
Attacks are executed by tapping or long pressing (hold for .5 seconds and release) the attack buttons (default X and Y). Core attacks are executed by long pressing Y. Guard/shield is activated by holding B, and tap B to dive/evade. A is the jump button. Weapons can be picked up by tapping X when nearby.
Once the battle starts, players must attack each other until their health expires. Players each have 3 lives per battle, and when they have fallen 3 times they are eliminated from the fight. The last man/team standing wins!
Your energy meter is indicated by the colored circle at your character's feet. This meter is used to execute core attacks and other special abilties, but is also depleted if used for guard/shield. The damage blocked will be subtracted from the player's energy, and if your energy reaches zero, your shield will break. Characters have passive energy regeneration based on their “recover” rating, but the large pool area in the center of the stage provides an accelerated energy regeneration rate. If the timer reaches zero, the death lazers will spawn and slowly force players to move to the center of the stage, or die instantly!
I've been working on Combat Core full-time since Summer 2013. Most of the combat mechanics are implemented and working. The game is now at a playable alpha that is close to representative of the style/quality I am aiming for, but still needs a lot of content and polish to be a finished product.
Combat Core has been completely self-funded so far. I've been supported by friends, family and my savings from previous jobs, but money is stretched thin. A successful Kickstarter will cover my cost of living for at least another 8-12 months, along with the cost of several other things:
- More Content - I can continue to work full-time on the game and complete all the content I want to have in the initial/early access release of the game. This includes an original, unique roster of pre-made characters, a LARGE variety of custom character assets and movesets, a plethora of weapons, multiple arenas with unique hazards and properties, and fully functional online multiplayer.
- Marketing/Travel/Events- I want to spread awareness of Combat Core and regularly showcase the game at conventions and relevant venues like GDC and PAX. All of these events have travel costs, booth costs, and submission fees, and it would really help if I could cover the cost of people to help me during these events too!
- Software Licenses - I could recoup some of the costs of Unity Pro for Windows and Android, and any other software/assets I need to purchase to aid development.
- Hardware - I could afford hardware/devices to use for deployment on more platforms like Mac, Linux, iOS, Kindle Fire, and PSVita (via Playstation Mobile) If I get approval to publish on major consoles (Wii U, Xbox One, PS4), this would also help with porting/dev kit costs.
- Music and Sound - I wear many hats, but music production is not one of them! All the music in the current build is from free license music, or specifically given permission by the artist to use. With a budget, I could purchase music licenses for songs or have new, original tracks produced! I could also look into adding voice acting to the game!
- Art Collaboration/Commision - I'll be the first to admit my skills as a 2D/concept artist aren't world class. With a budget, I'll be able to partner with talented artists to help me with designing new characters and gear!
- Community - A successful Kickstarter means the game has a community and an audience that wants to play it!
DOUBLE FUNDING WITH OUYA!
We are participating in OUYA's #FreeTheGames Fund, created by OUYA to support developers making new and creative console games. OUYA will match your pledge dollar-for-dollar up to the goal amount (and a max of $250,000), so help Combat Core get there and be a great game for everyone! To be eligible for this match, we commit that this game will be an OUYA exclusive for a period of time. To learn more about OUYA, go to www.OUYA.tv.
I believe in the idea of the Ouya and having a platform for indie developers like myself to publish games to a console with no barriers. By partnering with Ouya for a limited console exclusivity deal, I can offset the costs needed from YOU to get the game funded, and the Free the Games Fund program does NOT affect the release of PC/Mac desktop versions!
MABManZ is me, Micah Betts. I'm a team of one! I'm responsible for all aspects of Combat Core, outside of the music. Game design, programming, modeling, animation, particles, sounds, marketing, I do it all!
I hold a bachelor's degree in Computer Animation and have worked as a computer technician, graphic designer, game development teacher, and as a professional game animator and 3D artist. I've been creating games on my own for over 15 years. Combat Core is the culmination of all my experience and passion for game creation.
By backing the game, you are literally helping make my dreams come true. I've already committed to finishing the game, but without your support I will have to decrease the scope, cut features, and the game can't be fully realized. I want this game to be as awesome as you do, so let's make this happen!
Risks and challenges
I've done a lot of groundwork already and minimized the risk of backers. This isn't a dream or concept pitch, the game is already fully playable!
I'm not a studio that needs funding to keep people working - I've worked countless hours for the past year to create what I have so far, and I don't plan on stopping! In the worst case, without your support I will have to cut down the scope to finish, or move to developing the game part-time.
With your funding and support I will be able to take the time to add content, polish and improve the game to the next level. I hope the videos, screenshots, and playable demo can prove to you that I am capable of delivering a product worthy of your time and money.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)