This project's funding goal was not reached on December 17, 2013.
About this project
An all ages story following the life and times of a boy as he grows up and how comics helped him in his journey.
Page 1- Art by Natisha Reid
As we walk through life from childhood to adulthood, there are those moments and hobbies that help us through the various transitions in life. This book is about that journey.
What's the Story?
The book follows the life of Blaine, a young boy who lives with his recently divorced mother and his grandfather. Thanks to one amazing moment Blaine learns about the world of comic books through his grandfather. The story follows Blaine through the course of the next thirty years as he reaches the various crossroads in life and how comics helped him meet those challenges along the way.
Page 9 - Art by Natisha Reid
The book is almost finished and ready for printing. Now it's time to get the book out there to the world. The funds raised with this Kickstarter will be used to fund:
-The first print run of the book -Fulfilling all rewards -ISBNS; and copyrighting of the book and fees. We are planning on a late summer 2014 early fall 2014 release date for the book.
Anything extra will go towards - printing the book on a larger basis and some great stretch goal rewards.
Page 4 & 5 - Art by Natisha Reid
Chapter Insert - Art by Kristin Owen
- 1st (Unlocked Early) Juan Castro will ink and add colors to our chapter inserts for the book.
- 2nd (Unlocked Early) If you pledge $25 or more you will get a My Life as a Comic Book Reader T-shirt. It is also now it's own reward limited to 30.
- 3rd (Unlocked Early) Jamal Igle, creator of Molly Danger and artist extraordinaire will be contributing to the book with an incredible chapter insert.
- 4th (Grandpa's Tales of the Green Flyer) Unlocked when we reach a stretch goal of $12,500. This will be an original digital comic book that tells the origins of the super heroes of Blaine's World. This will be a Kickstarter exclusive.
- 5th (Bookmarks and Calendars) Unlocked when we reach a stretch goal of $15,000. Everyone who has contributed $15 or more will receive an exclusive My Life as a Comic Book Reader bookmark and calendar.
- 6th (The Story Teller Collection) Unlocked when we reach a stretch goal of $20,000. Everyone who has contributed $15 or more will receive an audio CD or digital download recording of the author reading the book, complete with background music.
- 7th (Deluxe Edition) Unlocked when we reach a stretch goal of $28,000. This will be a complete volume that will feature Grandpa's Tales of the Green Flyer, my original script with artist notes and more exclusive to Kickstarter backers only.
Who we are...
Ryan Read (Writer/Creator): A writer and technology teacher and supporter of community reading. My Life as a Comic Book Reader is his first graphic novel that he has been writing for the last six years. He lives in IL with his wife, Melissa, and son, Tyler. You can visit his blog at: http://mylifeasacomicbookreader.blogspot.com or the facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Mylifecomicbookreader
Natisha Reid (Artist): Natisha is a graphic design artist currently attending school for a degree in media arts. She has an incredible eye for detail and pays for school through artistic services on fiverr.com
Kristin Owen (Chapter Inserts): Kristen has been a career mathematics teacher and long time friend to Ryan's wife, Melissa. She lives in IL with her husband and daughter.
Mary Lou Read-Dreyer (Words/Script Editor): Mary Lou has been a career graphic designer and has worked for Northern Illinois University for close to 30 years. She is a wonderful wife, mother, sister, aunt and grandmother.
As mentioned above, the book is almost finished and ready to be printed. The funding is for printing, rewards and shipping costs but the main reason is, this book has been a long time in the making. This story isn't about just one person's love of comic books or collecting. It's about one person's journey that could be yours or mine, helping him rise in life with something that's considered to be just a hobby. It is a universal story brought together and to life in this novel created through God's blessing and support this book is ready to be created now and put out in the world.
I believe in this book and it's message for anyone who has ever taken a moment and asked: "What helped me through this?" The story of Blaine isn't just one story of one person but many brought together in this graphic novel and brought to life through incredible artwork and illustrations by an amazing team. My Life as a Comic Book Reader is a book for everyone, young or young at heart.
Chapter Insert- Art by Ryan Read
Risks and challenges
The book is halfway finished and almost ready to go. So the risks are pretty small! The only remaining thing needed is the funds to get the book printed. The amount needed is to cover book printing, rewards and shipping.
The balance of pledges yet fulfilled from our prior Kickstarter are well in-process, and the fulfillment of our Little Free Library for Genoa/Kingston for November 2013 will not bleed in to the delivery times of this project. We will do our very best to keep everyone up-to-date if there are any delays.
We have an amazing team so I am confident about this project and believe the end result something amazing! The quality of this book is very important to me and I am willing to adjust anywhere along to way to ensure everyone will be pleased with the end result.
Thank you for helping get this book printed and out to the world.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)