WHAT IS "I AM DANGER?"
Welcome to Kickstarter! I’m trying to raise some much-needed money for my memoir, “I am Danger; I am Prisoner.” Before I go any further, I know you’re going to want to know what this book is about, so please either watch the video above, or take a look at the synopsis if you’re interested:
What’s in a name? Ask Danger.
A naïve 17 year-old boy thinks he understands why he enlisted in the Army, but his assumptions are challenged when he’s called to serve in a volatile region of Afghanistan. Now a 22 year-old Sergeant stuck in a combat zone, Danger aims to find purpose behind his forced separation from his beloved girlfriend Joanna. Just when Danger thinks he’s survived the war, he finds a bit of himself seems to have died in Afghanistan.
"I am Danger; I am Prisoner" is the inspirational true story of a boy who wanted to do the right thing, only to grow up and find himself enslaved in a lie that both haunts and liberates him. Travel with Danger as he survives the decrepit streets of East St. Louis to the terrorist-infested villages of Afghanistan, not without creating relationships with the Muslim natives who teach him a few Christian lessons along the way as he discovers that his greatest danger may be himself.
As the author of this book, I am confident that if you read the first 4 chapters of "I am Danger; I am Prisoner," that you'll want to read more. For this reason, if you visit www.burningbridge.com, you'll find the first 9 chapters of this 34-chaptered book. Again, I'm convinced that this book will hook you from the beginning, so please just give me a few minutes of your attention. You won't regret it.
So, if the book is already written, why am I on kickstarter.com? Here’s the bottom line: I need to raise enough money to hire a book cover artist for this book. Most self-published books are purchased on two criteria: the synopsis and the book cover. Thankfully it costs nothing to write a synopsis, but book cover artists cost upwards to $4000 for a good one.
SO WHERE'S MY MONEY GOING?
First and foremost, your money is going to help hire a professional book cover artist. Because this is a self-published book, the success of this book hinges on having a stellar book cover. Whoever first said "don't judge a book by its cover" didn't foresee the book industry of the 21st Century, where book covers help separate bestsellers from the uninspired. Without a professional book cover, "I am Danger; I am Prisoner" is doomed before it even hits the market.
If I raise more than the target $4,000, then your money will go to other costs that are to be incurred during the publishing process, including paper, ISBNs, and marketing costs, to name a few.
Your money will not go unappreciated. To show my gratitude, I'm offering incentives for specific donations, outlined below.
DANGER, EXPLAIN KICKSTARTER.
So, how does it all work? Well, I’ve given Kickstarter a fundraising goal - $4000 in my case. I have roughly a month to get people to pledge money to this cause. If I get $4000 in pledges, then I’ll have met my “goal” and will have raised enough to move this book forward. I need to reach my goal, because if I don't, then I don't get any of the pledges. So, that means if you pledged $100 and I was only able to raise $3999, then you won't pay a penny. It's rough, but that's just the way it is.
When you pledge an amount, you're doing just that - pledging. You're not paying upfront, but instead, whatever amount you pledge will be paid on November 14th (if I raise the $4000). After the pledge is paid, you will receive your thank-you gift shortly thereafter.
I’m certainly allowed to raise more than $4000, in which case I would spend the money on publication costs that I’m soon to run into. But I have to reach $4000, or this whole attempt will have proved futile. It’s all-or-nothing, baby.
REWARDS FOR YOU
But don’t think your generosity would go unrewarded if you decide to pledge to this cause. You will be rewarded with some of the following gifts, depending on how much you pledge. The following is just a list of what you can receive from me; what you need to pledge to receive each gift it outlined in a sidebar on the right side of this page.
- PERSONAL THANK-YOU: I will personally send you an email, thanking you for your pledge. And I do mean “personal.” I won’t just copy-and-paste a message to everyone who pledges.
- AUTOGRAPHED COPY: Within three months of publication, I will send you a copy of this book that’s been autographed by me, unless you request it not to be autographed. If there is a hard-cover copy of this book available, that’s the form you will receive. If there are complications with developing the hard-cover, you will definitely at least receive a paperback copy.
- FRAMED ART: You will receive a framed copy of the book cover art you’re helping to get produced. A little memento to remind yourself of the generous help you provided.
- MBFGW: This is a copy of the DVD “My Big Fat Geist Wedding,” a wedding favor that was produced for guests at my wedding. At first glance, this may seem like a silly and/or worthless gift, but I can assure you it’s not. For one, this DVD is very relevant to the book; it has raw footage of the most-publicized chapter in the book, “Understanding the Rules of Engagement.” Secondly, there are only 150 copies of this in existence. If this book ends up doing as well as many have projected it will, then you’ll be the proud owner of a rare collector’s item that may be valued even higher than what you paid to receive it.
- FICTION STORY: Within five months of publication, I will write a short (approximately five-page) fictional story about a child of your choosing, making them the hero of an exciting story that can be read to their entire class. Having multiple children as the heroes of the story is just fine, too. We will need to correspond frequently so I can get an understanding of your child’s interests and such.
- DAY OF DANGER: Within twelve months of publication, I will travel to your hometown (must be within continental United States) for a day. This offer comes with a threefold promise: first of all, I will read the fiction story (as mentioned above) for your child’s class. Secondly, I will host a book signing in or around your hometown, selling copies of my book for essentially no-profit. Thirdly, I will provide you with an hour-long presentation at your church/place of work/school/etc. about the subject of your choice as it relates to some topic in my book.
- (35 days)