Hello, I'm Renee, the founder of WATS-ON, a science education company, and I’ve been completely mad on science since I was six years old!
I've also been really lucky to be able to turn that passion into a day job and I get to see first hand how science - taught The Curiosity Box way - can spark a child's innate imagination and creativity to create magical "WOW!" moments.
The Curiosity Box is born of this passion to bring learning about Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) into every home to inspire a generation of curious minds who question the world around them and are super imaginative and proactive when solving problems and overcoming challenges.
We have been careful to ensure that The Curiosity Box is for ALL children! Girls and boys love it and it doesn't matter if they don't want to be a scientist when they grow up because encouraging kids to be curious, creative and to increase their science literacy from an early age is a great way of improving their prospects at secondary and high school and beyond.
The Curiosity Box is all about finding the science in the everyday and bringing families together across the world to get curious, have fun, make a mess and some mistakes (well, sometimes!) and learn together.
The Curiosity Box is a monthly science subscription service that's bursting with high quality STEM and maker activities for kids aged 7-11 years.
- Collectible science kit; Every month you'll receive a different item, such as test tubes, beakers, magnifiers and more, helping you to build your very own home science lab at home.
- 3-4 printed experiment cards, along with detailed instructions, and everything you need to be able to conduct your own experiments in your kitchen laboratory!
- Curiosity Champions collecta-cards - featuring funky young STEMists who disrupt the stereotype of a scientist, such as the amazing Dr Suzie Sheehy, a particle accelerator physicist at the University of Oxford, who is our first champion.
- Time travelling STEM - Whether you are looking through aviator goggles into the past or google glass into the future, science has always had the power to change the world. Our parternship with Retronaut will get families exploring the fascinating, fantastical and frightening history of science, like you wouldn't believe!
- SUPER SEEDS: BLOOMIN' MARVELLOUS FUN
- LOOK INTO MY EYES: MIND CONTROL FOR BEGINNERS
- SCIENCE ROCKETS: FOR SUPERSTARS ONLY
The Curiosity Box has been conceived, designed, delivered, and probably posted, by the following band of intrepid scientists and curiosity adventurers; boldly going where no box has gone before.
In addition to Stanton Harcourt School's Health & Safety officer The Curiosity Box team would also like to thank the following dudes & dudettes for their unwavering support and awesomeness...
Catherine Charnock, Gary Frank, Andy Camoénie and Bernard Grenville-Jones for being our Oxygen, Carbon and Hydrogen (those essential elements!).
Super scientists Kerry Fisher, Suzie Sheehy, Frank Close, Dom McDonald, Jenny Inglis and the BIG Community. Isabelle Boscaro-Clarke and the team at Diamond Light Source for being the most community-minded science facility I know.
Our generous suppliers Smurfit Kappa and Hunts the Printers for helping to turn our crazy idea into reality. Plus those who believed in us along the way Cristina Parry, Jeremy Smith, Rachel Warren, Jo Sensecall, Peter Miller-Smith, Mrs Walsh and the kids at Stanton Harcourt School,
And, most importantly of all, to Patrick, Anika, Finn, Rory, Emma and Archie for being the world's most patient guinea pigs and certified apprentice scientists.
Risks and challenges
This will be our first time posting outside the UK so we would be really grateful for your patience if we have any hiccups and we have back up plans to keep you happy should the postie or mailman let us down.
We have a lot of the stock already because we want to minimise the risk of delays due to supply chain, however there are a few bits we can't afford until Kickstarter has completed so if there is a small delay on those we will be super disappointed and may fall behind schedule.
We are chatters by nature so will keep in touch with you in the unlikely event that something goes pear shaped and we fully intend to share our love of this project with you through good and bad.
We are as good to go with this project as Einstein was with his General Theory of Relativity (we're still working on Quantum Gravity though)Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)