Bi-Cord: Charge two electronic devices at the same time
Introducing the Bi-Cord, a simple and durable cord that will allow you to charge 2 devices at the same time!
Introducing the Bi-Cord
The Bi-Cord is a simple and durable cord that will allow you to charge two of your electronic devices at the same time.
One end of the cord is a USB port. Emerging from the USB port are two separate cords, one with a 30-pin connector AND one with a lightning connector. This simple modification will allow you to charge an older Apple device (30-pin connector) and a newer Apple device (lightning connector) at the same time. The USB port connects to your existing Apple plug and charging will commence. No adapters needed!
Further, the cord is made of braided nylon which is very durable and looks great.
Lastly, the Bi-Cord is 6 feet long. No more hanging over the side of your bed when trying to type on your Ipad!
Like many ideas, the idea for the Bi-Cord was borne out of frustration. I own both an IPhone 5 and an Ipad 2. I'm also a frequent business traveler and I kept losing one cord or the other. Or, I would forget one of the cords and I would inevitably end up with a lot of frustration and dead devices. One night, after knocking over a bedside lamp when trying to stretch the cord to charge/type at the same time, I thought to myself; there has to be a better way! The idea for the Bi-Cord was born.
With this cord, I'm determined to solve 3 problems: (1) Cord Length; (2) Durability; and (3) Versatility. The result? The Bi-Cord is 6 feet long, made of durable braided nylon, and features both a 30-pin connector and a lightning connector, allowing you to charge 2 devices at once.
After letting the idea rattle around in my head for a few months, I decided that this is something that I wanted to pursue because I'm guessing there are many of you out there that probably have this exact same problem.
To start, I spent many hours searching for a manufacturing partner to work with. After countless Google searches and some unsuccessful conversations, I came across a cord manufacturing company that had the skills and capability to give life to my idea. In addition, they also had the patience to work with me to develop this idea. Our relationship started in the most basic of places, with a crude sketch on the back of a piece of paper:
Our manufacturing partner has significant experience in the production of electronic cords so after about two weeks, they took my sketch and turned it into our first prototype:
I was happy with the first pass at it, but I knew I wanted something longer than standard and I also knew that I wanted to use a different type of material, not just the standard PVC. So, the second step was to discuss the material of the cord. Inspired by the patterns, durability, and material on rock climbing ropes, I knew I wanted something in braided nylon. So, I went back to our partner and asked if they would be able to do it in that material. To my delight, they said they could and we began a discussion on color options. I knew I wanted something basic, so I was given the following list of patterns to choose from:
To start with, I chose 2 patterns: #7 (Black and White) and #1 (Black and Green).
Lastly, we tackled the subject of cord length. As I mentioned above, I knew I wanted something longer than the standard issue cord, which is 41.5 inches. My logic here was simple, there is a plug next to my bed and I wanted something that could stretch from there to my bed with some wiggle room. In addition, I wanted to be able to comfortable plug this in at my office. After measuring those distances, I settled on 6 feet in length. So, I went back to our partner and asked if we could make the cord(s) in a length of 6 feet. Again, the answer was yes. After a few weeks, my prototypes arrived in the mail! Here is a picture of one of the black and white ones:
Each of the samples is fully functional (as demonstrated in the video above) and I've spent the last few months traveling with them to make sure they can stand up to rigorous use. In fact, I've given each of the samples to family and friends to try as well.
After a few months of testing, we haven't had any problems, but have gotten some very good feedback on how to improve them, which brings me to this campaign.
To this point, I've funded the development of the Bi-Cord out of my own pocket, but there is still more work that needs to be done. I hope to raise enough funds to get the Bi-Cord over the finish line and into your hands.
With this campaign, I'm looking to raise $6,000 to complete the development of the Bi-Cord.
As I mentioned above, to date, I've partnered with a manufacturer for the cord, provided the specs, chosen colors, and developed 4 working prototypes. In addition, I've spent several months traveling with them and testing them to make sure that the quality is top notch. Below are some additional photos of the prototypes in action:
When the $6,000 goal is reached, the money will be used for 3 things:
(1) To further refine the cord. Based on my own experience with the Bi-Cord and feedback from other users, I want to further develop the cord by doing the following:
- Strengthening the connection at the stress points (where the cord meets the connector);
- Develop a device to secure the cord when not in use, like a velcro strap or the plastic ties you see in the photo above; and
- Begin work on other connection options such as a mini-USB port.
(2) To develop our web presence. Right now, we own several domain names related to the cord and would like to develop a site for all current and future Bi-Cords.
(3) To Perfect our packaging. From our manufacturer, the cords come packed in a poly bag, but I want to improve upon this packaging by either re-designing it all together or including a header card for the poly bag.
As I mentioned, I've already secured a manufacturing partner for the Bi-Cord and they've been there since day 1 of development. They have significant electronic and cord manufacturing experience and are standing by, awaiting further instructions on development.
Once the campaign is completed, I will get right to work on the improvements mentioned above and I expect to be ready to ship within 45 - 60 days. However; to be sure, I've estimated the ship date at the different reward levels as December of 2013. There is a nice cushion here.
For this project, I've set 3 levels of rewards.
Pledge $5 and I will send a fun and witty personal note of thanks.
Pledge $15 and you will get a Bi-Cord AND a fun thank you note. This pledge level represents a discount of approximately 25% to the anticipated retail price of $20. At launch, 2 colors will be available, Black and Green or Black and White. The connection options will be as seen above, the 30-pin connector and the lightening connector.
Pledge $25 and you will get a Bi-Cord; however that extra $10 will put you at the top of the list when we begin shipping. Don't worry, you'll get a thank you note as well!
Thank you for taking the time to check out my project. I'm really looking forward to releasing this product into the market and look forward to working with you. Please email me with any questions or comments, I'd love to hear from you.
Risks and challenges
As I mentioned in the product description, I have 4 working prototypes and a manufacturing partner ready to spring into action, but the Bi-Cord is very much still a product in the development phase. As such, there are a few risks to consider when supporting this project:
(1) Timing: Our manufacturing partner has kept their word at every step of the development phase and I wouldn't expect anything different when we go into production. However; there are always unforeseen challenges when manufacturing a product and they may cause delays in the shipping of your cord. To mitigate this, I've added a 30-Day cushion into the "Expected Ship Date" to allow us to work through any potential challenges and still ship your cord on time.
(2) First Production Run: As with any first production run of a product, there is a risk that the quality may differ from what is expected. To ensure the quality and functionality of each cord, I will inspect and test each one of them prior to shipping.
(3) Experience: If you look in my profile, this is the first product I've ever attempted to launch into the marketplace. I fully expect that there will be unanticipated challenges along the way, but I'm ready to confront them at every turn. In addition, my manufacturing partner has a great depth of experience in this field and has been very supportive throughout the development process.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)