Get Your Uncommon Board Today
Now Producing Boards for Backers at www.uncommonboardco.com
Sign up There for Updates on New Products and Boards
Discover More Opportunities to Surf
The world's most portable surfboard gives you more opportunities to surf and more opportunities to take your surfboard into your life. This surfboard from the Uncommon Board co. fits inside a regular suitcase or backpack. It changes how you get to waves, it changes how you ride waves. Hiking to secret spots never felt so invigorating.
Using the Board
Grab hold of the feeling of bodysurfing with the speed and control of surfing. If you've done both, imagine the best of both, that's the Uncommon Board co. experience.
Experience a direct, unmediated connection with the ocean. When you race across a barreling face, the water is all around you. The board is so small it fits beneath you. All around there is moving water and you're racing through it. It can change your relationship to other boards. After this, long boards feel like standing on the back of a truck and riding a bodyboard feels like surfing a picnic table. I know that's a stretch for some to imagine so consider throwing it alongside a longer board for your next travels. Consider taking both boards to mix up your surfing and wave knowledge.
Get out to the breaking waves. With this board you can dive deep beneath breaking waves. You get to the breaking waves with more energy to surf.
Uncommonly impressive. Surfers see this for what it is: a reflection of your wave skills and knowledge. You will get nothing but positive comments when you respect great surfing.
Tested by many body types. The ocean is a great leveller of body types. We all float roughly the same amount. Testing by various body types showed it works for people with small hands (children) through to wider frames.
When catching a wave, use the board as a lever to pull yourself out of the water and onto the wave face. It's a new way to enter waves and it means the exhilaration and connection are there from the start to the end of the ride.
Unending challenge and exhilaration. With an Uncommon surfboard you can get into the tube easier. That's an amazing place.
Wipeout? No worries. It's thinner than you so it's like wiping out if you didn't have any surf equipment. When you wipeout and are underwater the wave pulls on your body and only your body. You are released earlier.
You're in the water, in the elements, in nature. You only are on the ocean surface when you are riding a wave. The rest of the time you are in the water and it connects you with nature.
Float perfectly, just enough while waiting for waves. It keeps your head out of the water and it's amazingly peaceful waiting for waves.
Share the board and share surfing with people who would not go on a long board. Kids love it because it is somehow like them, no wider than their bodies and they can ride in the smallest whitewash. It's this human scale which helps celebrate movement and people.
The extreme limits of this board are still to be tested. You can be as radical as you dare to be. It handles seriously heavy waves. Can you?
Have you lost time wrangling surfboards? Time wasted struggling with roof racks, worried your white trousers might get dirty... checking for damage at the oversized baggage collection point or fighting the wind on the walk to the beach.
It starts to run your life. You are more likely to buy a ute than a bike. It's harder to travel in a group. Even if you get on a plane, good luck finding a taxi to fit four people and their surfboards. Surfboards not only define who you travel with but how you live your life. Surfing doesn't do this to you, surfboards do.
Look, I love surfing. It's just so many things surrounding it don't match the feelings I have for surfing. So many surfers tell me they love to bodysurf. Many of the elite WCT professional surfers choose to bodysurf at times (though you won't hear much about it because it doesn't help the big companies controlling the industry). The Uncommon Board combines the feeling of bodysurfing with the speed and control of surfing and removes the frustrations of lugging big boards around.
It is designed and built to:
save you time and money
make your life easier
keep you looking and feeling good
connect you with amazing experiences and people
To make it easier to get to waves, to give you more opportunities to surf, to be always ready for the freakishly great swells.
The Uncommon Board - Materials and Dimensions
Lighter than a can of soft drink so you can move freely in and out of the surf. Approx 350 gms (13 fl oz).
Thinner than the widest point of an ipad so you can move freely without waves pulling your board and body into the impact zone. 25 cms (9.5 inches).
Shorter than an umbrella so you can pack it inside your luggage. You can have one for everyone in the car and have space left over for food and drinks. 66 cms (26 inches).
Anyone who can repair any surfboard can repair an Uncommon board. It's made from epoxy and upcycled EPS foam. These are industry-standard materials. Their preparation and performance is well-known. Not only does this give you confidence in the product from day one, it also means any repairs can be done by anyone who can repair any other surfboard.
The strength comes in part from the size of the board. A match stick (or a long surfboard) is easily snapped but it's harder to snap the same match stick twice.
The board is art in its own right. It's a beautiful object in and out of the water. Storing it might just mean displaying it as art.
Save Time and Money
say goodbye to:
- buying stuff to transport boards (roof racks, utes, specialist bags)
- oversize and excess baggage charges
- all the time spent waiting and jostling long boards at the airport
- smacking your board into other objects/people as you walk along
- wrestling your board back to your house after an exhausting surf
- having no space for food and other items on your surf trek because all your space is taken up
The Ride is More Important Than the Product
It's a fantastic product and yet, customer service is more important. It's more important you have a great ride than merely a great product. The Uncommon Board co. is more like a tech startup, constantly adapting to your needs. Your support will literally shape the success of the board and the company.
Choose the Surfer You Want to Become
Surfing becomes part of your life and with the uncommon surfboard you can choose how much it builds on your life. You are no longer at the mercy of baggage handlers, roof racks or utes. The uncommon board is so small and portable you can leave it in your car permanently just in case the opportunity comes for a surf. It's so small you can sneak it onto your holiday or work trip. In fact, that's one of the benefits when you are learning to surf. There's something intimidating about long surfboards, they say something about you whether you like it or not, whether it is true or not. They stand out, always. With this board you can choose the kind of surfer you would like to be in and out of the water.
Production Schedule and Shipping
There is a staggered production release made possible by the low goal and short duration of this kickstarter. Once the goal is reached production begins in a staggered fashion. The very last dates are listed alongside each reward but I expect to begin shipping before those dates. Shipping can take some time.
The boards are made in a workshop where creativity and quality are paramount. I have invented methods for production and tooling to make the process leaner. To protect these practices I haven't shown images inside the workshop. I will share select images during production so you can see how your board is progressing.
After developing this product I realised two things almost immediately:
1. I would not take it to traditional surf companies. Traditional surf companies will never undermine their profits by bring this to market. Large surf companies do not innovate, they make micro-improvements. The whole model and industry of surf companies revolves around a concept of surfing so disconnected from the experiences and desires of most surfers.
2. This is a chance to start a movement and business that is sustainable. It would be very easy to offer cheap caps or cotton hoodies. By offering different products I am looking to build quality products for people who want quality experiences in life. Kickstarting the business means sustainability and quality in design can be maintained.
What the Money Will be Used For
By backing this product you are backing the start of a sustainable business and brand. The money will be used from anything from (boring but necessary) insurance to increasing amazing experiences for customers and showing more of what's possible on the uncommon surfboard. I've chosen to release before I get extensive footage of many people enjoying the board. I'm really pleased to give you the opportunity early. It's super fun and I'd like this to move away from my story to being your story.
Paul Symons: Camera, Product Testing, Edits
Helen: Bike riding, Product Testing
Emiko Grau: Camera
Matt K: Camera, Product Testing
Paul, Juan, Lee, Jenna, Cale, Chris: Product Testing
Erwin: GoPro Support
Music: CC license - "Steppin" by Wake (http://soundcloud.com/wake); "Dial My Number" by Benedek (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Benedek/Bonus_Beat_Blast_2011/11_benedek-dial_my_number)
Amanda Reid: Editing
Cameron, Maia: Edits
Your Invite Gives You More
The first people to buy boards from the uncommon board co will be amazing people in my eyes. You will be the first to experience the ocean in a new, connecting way. The ocean has never been experienced in this way before and your support in this kickstarter is the only way to make this happen. You will be the first to seed this sustainable business. You will be the first to lead and influence others around you. Not only will you get boards at amazing prices, you will hold a special place in my heart and the offers I provide into the future. To become a person who experiences more, select from the rewards and back this product.
More About The Rewards
Your support starts this business, you are recognised right up front. You'll go on the home page that currently looks like this (right now it leads straight back to kickstarter) with sample names to give you an idea of what it will look like. Once the goal is reached the text will change to show the real names (not sample names) with a massive thanks (so people know how important you are to starting this). Names will be listed as the background on the home page, here we can see them in green. There will be dedicated page to founders with more detail on the kickstart.
Get Your Uncommon Board Now
Risks and challenges
The biggest risk of any project is the failure to deliver or providing the a faulty product. To minimise these risks the following actions are being undertaken:
1. Limit the number of Uncommon Boards being produced. A limited run benefits those who back the project in two ways. Firstly, you know you are part of a select group (those who begin a journey that others will seek to emulate). Secondly, a small production run means quality can be inspected effectively and shipping occurs earlier.
2. Lean Production. The very best manufacturing thinking will go into the production. Ship early, always ship quality, ship often.
3. When you are first in a totally new class of experiences, there is a risk from legal/risk implications. Legal council will be sought to provide effective advice for packaging and usage guides that still maintain the lifestyle associated with the products (for example, "This is not a lifesaving device. It's simply more important than that.").
4. No Hand-offs. Entirely made in WA, these products are designed, tested, built and shipped from Perth. There is a small risk should the foam supplier go out of business but this seems unlikely. It is a core part of the philosophy to take waste materials and transform them. The new foam is otherwise destined for landfill and by up-cycling it we form part of a re-use chain that helps the planet and the animals and people on it.
5. There is a chance I could die before delivery, I'm not planning for that to happen but if it does then I have instructed my partner to refund all money. Otherwise, my name is on the line to make a quality, awesome product and I'm ready. I've had a number of people helping me to date as you can see from the video credits. This people believe in me and the product and the I have people I care about watching as I follow through with quality. Quality is the only option and I am ready.
6. Communication. I will over-communicate (frequency), posting updates at least every two weeks. I'll use meaningful subject-lines so critical information stands out because I recognise not everyone will want frequent communication.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (23 days)