About this project
Warbarons has already come a long way and the game is currently in open beta version 5 with a dedicated mature community. The game is focused on balanced multiplayer games with 2 - 8 players. The game features 1vs1, Free For All, Team games and Scenario games. We have created a map editor and most of our maps are created by our community, some are competitive symmetrical maps with ranked games in mind while others are classic setups between two sides such as Lord of the Rings Middle earth and Westeros from A game of thrones.
Features that we are proud of
- Fog of War that works like it does in installed commercial games.
- Computer AI that can provide a challenge.
- User friendly interface to create maps, host games, join games, get them started.
- Team games with simultaneous turn for team members.
- Well balanced units (with much help from a great community)
- Fun community features such as ladder, wall, friends, teams, chat etc.
Features that we plan to add.
- Simultaneous turns for all sides, "real time mode".
- A campaign with a good story and inspiring graphics.
- A version with optimized interface for pads and smart phones.
- Update our DIV engine to a HTML5 Canvas engine to be able to add more animated graphics. Animated units would be great.
- Bigger games with more than 8 players.
- New type of game modes.
Who we are
Funding and goals
We have been able to fund the game from our own pocket for a long time but we have come to a point where we need your funding help. We need it for graphics, for marketing and for server costs. In order to fund us we have come up with a series of rewards you can go for.
Gold member icon: We will launch a silver and gold member ship for players as a way to make money to keep the project running in 2012. When you become a silver or gold member a silver or gold star will be shown by your name that shows you are a premium member. If you pledge $40 or more you will have a green star instead showing that you are a important contributor as well.
Manual / story: We have images from previous betas, comments, thoughts, discussions with our community which are quite interesting and fun to read for anyone interested in Warbarons or in making games. We want to print a high quality color manual with the standard manual stuff, tips n tricks, along with our development story material and to do that we need to reach a financial point where we can spend some time on making it and pay the printing and posting costs. Here is a quick mock up of what it could look like:
Design an item.
There are currently 25 items in the game. We want to add a couple more items. If you sponsor the graphics cost for an item you will have input over the item. It can be one of 5 type of items. Weapon, head wear, body, ring / bracelet, feet. If you want we will put your name on it. Ex: Lord Jeffs plate armour.
Design a side.
A side includes the castle, the flag, the color, a defense tower and shield symbol. We have 9 sides (8 players + neutral) already. One of the things on our todo list is to make the game playable with more than 8 players and to do that we need more sides to pick. When you design a side you can draw inspiration from historic cultures or fantasy cultures or if you have your own idea. We will go back and fourth with you and search for good reference material. When we are satisfied we will let our artist paint it.
If you decide to buy the bigger package it includes a image of the city. The image is 950*500 pixels big. Right now the image bellow is used on all cities but we think it would be cool to give each side its distictive look to give each side a personality. The image does not have to be from above like this one, it can be from street level or standing on a hill overlooking the city. You decide.
Smart phone / Pad
One of the things we need fund for is graphics. We love artistic stylish graphics and are working with freelance indie artists who have just the right look that we are after.
List of graphics we need to buy.
- 18 150x150 landscape pictures.
- 4 - 8 heroes (200x200 face shot, 128x128 detailed unit drawing)
List of graphics we want to buy
- 10-20 items (128 x 128 detailed drawings)
- 20 tiles for a new river terrain tile set (64x64 per tile)
- 30 tiles for a new under world / dungeon tile set (64x64 per tile)
- 20 shields (64x64)
- 8 army flags
- New castles
In case we get more funds here are some graphics we will use it for
- Improve the look on some castles
- Improve the look on some defense towers.
- Add a few new needed units (mini devil for example).
- Make some interface improvements.
Since the game happens on the server to be cheat proof and for your games to be available on any machine the game is dependent on good server and bandwidth. We have just invested in our own server to be able to serve an increasing number of users and the AI which is consuming quite a bit of performance.
List of what we want in terms of server / bandwidth
- Being able to serve the game without lag and downtime.
- Afford to use a content delivery network to host files on key locations around the world to make the load times faster for people who are not located near Sweden
The most important reason for money is to market Warbarons. We need to grow our user count enough so we can make money to at least keep the game paying for it's own costs. In order to do that we ask you for marketing funds.
This image is from the mapeditor, I'm working on a map of middle age south Europa.
Here are some mercenary buildings that are not in the game yet but are planed to be introduced in a beta soon.
Support this project
- (43 days)