A politically incorrect RTS game that caters to the worst stereotypes from the right and left. Think Starcraft meets partisan politics. Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on .
About this project
It’s election time again and what better way to get into the spirit than to play a new politically themed video game. Democrats vs. Republicans caters to the worst stereotypes from both sides of the political divide. It's a PC based real time strategy game along the lines of StarCraft or Age of Empires. That means each team has several different buildings and units, each with unique strengths, weaknesses and abilities that interact together. The game is played on a map with the goal of gathering resources like money and votes, building up a base and creating armies with which you can find and destroy your opponent’s base.
- 20 different Democratic Units including Union Workers, Welfare Moms, EcoNuts and Hippie Vans, media figures like Michael Moore and Keith Olbermann, and political leaders like Clinton, Gore and Obama.
- 20 different Republican Units including Red Necks, Tea Baggers, Religious Fanatics and Survivalists, media figures like Glenn Beck and Bill O’Reilly, and political leaders like Bush, Cheney and Romney.
- Every unit has their own unique attack strengths and weaknesses.
- 5 Democratic building structures (such as Solar Cells and Ivory Towers).
- 5 Republican building structures (such as Oil Pumps and Churches).
- Campaign play against the computer AI with 20 different map levels (each corresponding to a different state).
- 2 player head-to-head network play.
- Unaffiliated units like Suicide Bombers and bank-spawned Vampire Squids.
- Units with special abilities like cloaking, stealing, harvesting, healing and freezing enemies into ice blocks.
Initially the goal is to launch a PC based version on gaming platforms like Steam but the game has been produced with portability in mind, so if there is demand and we raise more money than our initial goal we should be able to quickly port it to other platforms such as Mac and mobile.
The game has been under development for nearly a year now and about 90% of the coding is complete. The game engine is built, the AI is in place and the characters are ready. The money raised from Kickstarter will go towards putting a more professional polish on the game graphics and artwork, completing the campaign level design, building our website and adding a two player networking head-to-head option.
Summing it up
This is the sort of game that could really only come into existence through the independence and creativity of Indie gaming. The game is going to be far too edgy and politically incorrect for a big gaming house to do anything like it. That’s what’s so great about Indie gaming, it gives you a chance to step outside the monster/alien/robot/elf/soldier rut and do things that are completely unique. Not only that, it is able to deliver a cutting message about the political system itself through the use of humor and satire… a message that could never survive if the bottom line depended on getting shelf space at Walmart.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Pledge $1 or more
Thanks for your contribution to gaming and political satire. You’ll get your name in the credits.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $5 or more
You get your name in the credits in bold, along with a logo for the political party you support (should you wish to specify one).Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or more
You get a free copy of the game when it’s ready, along with your name in bold in the credits.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or more
You get to be on the beta team. You’ll have access to the game before it launches and your input can help shape the final release and balance the strengths and weaknesses of the characters. The credits will note your beta participation.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or more
You get all the previous rewards + will get a code to active two special characters, the "Limousine Liberal" and the "Fat Cat" for you to play with.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or more
You get all the previous rewards + a level/character editor tool that will allow you to create your own levels, change the strengths and weaknesses of existing characters and even add new characters for your own personal use.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $2,000 or more
0 backers Limited (4 left of 4)
You get all the previous rewards + we’ll put the politician of your choice into the game and work with you to figure out their weapons, powers, strengths and weaknesses.Estimated delivery:
- (30 days)