A few people asked how the stress test we mentioned in the last update has been going. Last week we had run an EEW for two days. We're now at nine days and it's still running. The only thing that has shown any wear is the scotch tension band. That wore out and we replaced it. Initially during the stress test we glued the bobbin to the flyer to maximize the friction on the scotch tension band. That is much worse (more friction) than the worst case in real world spinning. With the replacement band we removed that glue and now after many days it shows no wear (not surprising considering there is no friction), but this is not a good real world representation either because this would put no twists in the yarn. The real world is somewhere in between so we'll do more testing of how long this elastic band lasts in real world testing. We think it real world spinning this band will last a very long time, but we'er still trying to figure out how long that is. Even having the band wear out isn't a big concern though because users could easily replace this band with some string (string is what most spinning wheels use). Our testing showed that string wears out faster than this thicker elastic band and we haven't heard people complaining that their scotch tension string wore out too fast on other spinning wheels. The elastic band is nicer for people who are just learning to spin because it makes finer grain tension adjustments easier.
We made an updated circuit board and have tested it this last week. This updated circuit board addressed all the outstanding issues in the previous version. We plan to use this version of the circuit board in the shipping version of the Electric Eel Wheel. It's great to have an important piece like this completely done already!
We have selected power supplies for the EEW too. It's a 100-240V input 12V 3A output supply. It had to be one we could order and get discounts on in bulk, and I know something about power supplies so I opened up one to make sure it was reasonably well constructed. I was happy with what I saw so this is the one we'll be using.
The left motor is the size of the pulley driving all the previous prototypes. The right motor is a larger pulley we've been experimenting with recently. We've decided to go with the larger pulley because it drives the wheel twice as fast. This will let advanced spinners spin yarn faster and newer spinners can still go at a very slow speed with just a turn of the dial.