Watch the first teaser!
Following our first successful Kickstarter in June this year we are back with another game that has long been in development. Cretacea is the skirmish wargame of gargantuan survival, inspired primarily by a passion for dinosaur documentaries and dinosaurs themselves.
The cretaceous period of earth’s history was a fruitful and inspiring era full of magical creatures. It has long been my intention to bring these beasts to the table top in a survival based game.
Why survival?...because Cretacea is not just about fight and destroy objectives, it employs the use of roaring and grazing, barging and stomping among a plethora of other genre specific actions that make the game unique.
Cretacea is mainly inspired by nature documentaries and the way in which they depict the characters of the ancient world, fighting to eat, grow and survive!
Your support for our small and aspiring business is what allows us to continue doing what we do and are passionate about and that is writing, publishing and play testing great books. This also is the reason our targets are so low.
By keeping our targets low, we can cover costs of production and delivery of the rewards, all the while making the objective more achievable for everyone, meaning that we all can enjoy the game sooner and with the satisfaction of being a part of something great.
If we exceed the goal, then that is wonderful! The more you pledge the more books we can make and release in the future. So pledge what you feel will help and know that your support is not only needed, but massively appreciated.
Cretacea is a succinct but elegant game.
Feedback from our first game indicated t was little more complicated than we initially realized! this turned out to be a bonus but with this in mind, we aimed to keep Cretacea simple, flowing and fast and consequently the game has been developed with this in mind.
- A game plays in 30-45 mins (genuinely!) therefore, a small "campaign" or "dinosaur life" can be played out in a few hours.
- Each game utilizes checks to emulate the real life characteristics of predators and prey respectively. Of course there are only really two teams to choose from, but the animals in those teams are so varied and wonderful that it is all you need.
- The game also allows a level of investment in your dinosaur by being able to modify your dinosaur’s stats to suit age should you wish!
- Fight to survive and risk it all, or graze peacefully and run when the predators get close. Its your game so it's entirely up to you how you play your dinosaurs!
- Utilize a selection of realistic yet crazy mechanics such as stomping tiny creatures with your gargantuan scale dinosaurs or tail whipping enemies as they close in.
- By making the most of unique specials for your dinosaur models you can also control the sway of the battle while keeping a steady flow of play due to the minimal models included.
Each game uses about 2-3 dinos a side.
Although the game is designed to be used with 1/100 scale metal dinosaurs from magister militum the book includes 4 pages of hand drawn dinosaur tokens that have been professionally digitally colored.
Cretacea brings 7 herbivores and 4 predators to the table with an aim to bring more in the future. As a stepping off point we have chosen dinosaurs among the most popular, most interesting and in some cases the strangest, these are -
- T -Rex
- Deinonychus (raptors!)
Each dinosaur has a small stat box with everything you need to know to field them included in the book.
We also provide a few pages of stat blocks and prinatable dinosaurs for you to print and play.
It wouldn't be a EZPainter publication if we didn't encourage people to learn while gaming by providing little fact blocks about your dinosaurs and their behaviors!
In the interest of learning the book also has its own version of the GGA "grannies history" segments wherein the pretty logo rex tells you a bit more about the world your playing in!
Every single pledge from £3 up includes everything you need to play the game for at least one person!
ONLY PLEDGERS WILL HAVE EXCLUSIVE ACCESS TO PREVIEWS PDFS OF UPCOMING BOOKS AFTER THE CAMPAIGN ENDS! (£1 supporters are included).
(Postage for book pledges is included in your pledge choice, kickstarter has changed the layout of pledges, so you will see it once you pick your pledge. We assure we have kept these to a minimum and thank you for helping us to get your products to you!)
- £1 - Thank You!
- £3 - PDF early Bird (limited to 50)
- £4 - PDF pledge
- £7 - Paperback early bird (limited to 25)
- £10 - Paperback pledge (limited to 75)
- £25 - Gamers pledge (limited to 50)
- £250 Ultimate pledge. (JUST ONE!)
Make sure you choose your reward carefully because the tokens are really unique and not worth missing out on!
We took our time hand sculpting and casting (using home casting equipment) hard white plastic tokens that are great for game play! They are tough and resilient but most of all the 3D element helps to make them pop and add something unique to the game that you just don't get with paper tokens or dice with symbols on like many other games.
All of the add-ons for Cretacea are priced at least 10% lower than at retail.
- Hand sculpted hard plastic game tokens. (One set required per dinosaur) - Add £7 + £5 for postage
- Four page PDF of dinosaurs from the game. - Add £1
Extra Book - Add £7 + postage (if you haven't already got a pledge that includes delivery) £6 (uk) OR £15 (worldwide)
- Campaign Book - Stretch goal (now unlocked) - Add £3 for PDF campaign book. Release next january.
£1500: The campaign book - FREE to gamers pledges!
(this book will be slowly sampled and parts will be released as free PDFS to backers so that they can begin to experience the book before it is officially finished)
The Campaign book will contain a large mix of scenarios that are designed to be entwined into a "pick your own adventure" style game, meaning that in most instances you will only play 7-10 scenarios in an evening but in doing so you will play the "life" of one or more dinosaurs.
This book will be PDF only, and will be delivered in January due to the lengthily play testing, however we will be releasing select scenarios for free during the development process if we get funded for it!
The campaign mode broken down -
- Large mix of scenarios for a "pick your own adventure" style game.
- The book will encourage a "story mode" approach with you developing your dinosaur in between games and aging them every few scenarios, making the challenge of surviving that bit harder!
- Unique scenarios that encorperate new dinosaurs and new attack types!
- New actions and dinosaurs to field.
- New terrain tutorials and painting tutorials.
- New paper tokens.
We are using Beacon Printers from Penarth which is a local business. It is the prerogative of GGA as a "small business venture" to try and keep as much of our funding flowing through the veins of other small business', for this reason we will not be using a giant manufacturer but instead the friendly and kindly services of Beacon. Pete who owns the business is a really lovely fella and we can all thank his great work for our beautiful books once they arrive!
Risks and challenges
We have polished the rules to the best of our knowledge and they are game ready and prepared for you to get gaming with! All of our artists have been paid and we have no outstanding fees (At the moment! This will of course change with the KS because we are raising money to pay said new fees e.g. publishing and more casting plastic for the tokens!)
We have budgeted appropriately with the target and we think that it is not only achievable but fair.
We have done many practice runs of the casting tokens and we may need to get some more plastic for it but the actual process itself has been practiced so much now that it is almost risk free.
We are using a reliable and friendly printer that we have worked with before, they work hard to meet deadlines and they produce a wonderful and battle ready product that we trust.
All of the books and PDFs are ready to go and we are awaiting our proof already. The only risk on our end is some sort of catastrophic, random and unlikely computer crash, which should not matter since we do not keep our rules on a computer, rather a hard drive, meaning that if this did happen it would not hinder us from getting you your goodies!
The biggest challenge of our last kickstarter was that we didn't add the postage meaning that a percentage of the funds we received went straight back into the unexpectedly expensive postage of our books!
To circumvent this issue we have applied postage to the relevant pledges and ask that people remain honest and considerate when applying add-ons and any consequent extra postage charge! (your postage charge is listed once you pick your pledge, KS has changed this and we cannot override it! However it does not mean that we have hidden extra costs or raised postage, we promise it is set at a bare minimum!)
- (15 days)