UPDATES: THE BOOK IS FUNDED! Not only that, backers have already started unlocking stretch goals! Check it out...
- UNLOCKED: Secret Stretch Goal #1—The Accidental Pirates by Marc Tassin
- UNLOCKED: Secret Stretch Goal #2—Rough Magick (GnomeSaga Book 1) by Kenny Soward
- UNLOCKED: Secret Stretch Goal #3—Add-Ons Added: Now you can get extra copies of the book, bookmark, bookplate, map, and more!
- UNLOCKED: Secret Stretch Goal #4—Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia
- FUNDED: CHAMPIONS OF AETALTIS is officially funded!
- UNLOCKED: Stretch Goal #1—MORE BOOKS! Fenzig's Fortune by Jean Rabe & Worms! by J.E. Mooney!
- UNLOCKED: Stretch Goal #2—EVEN MORE BOOKS! Incursion by Aaron Rosenberg and The Q Word and Other Stories by Richard Lee Byers
- UNLOCKED: Stretch Goal #3—Two Maps from Expert Cartographer Mike Schley
See the Stretch Goals and Add-Ons sections below for all the details!
Journey to a distant land where bold adventurers wield magical blades against dark creatures from the shadowy depths. Thrill to the arcane power of enigmatic sorcerers as they master forbidden arts to strike down their diabolical enemies. Marvel at the courage of common folk who refuse to surrender to the tide of evil sweeping over the land. These, my friend, are the CHAMPIONS OF AETALTIS!
We want to publish a collection of pulse-pounding adventure stories that transport you to a world of magic and wonder. To accomplish this, we’ve gathered some the greatest fantasy authors alive. Each original tale we're bringing to you takes place in a fantasy world called Aetaltis, and you’ll come along for the ride as these talented authors explore the power of a shared setting to bring an entirely new universe of adventure to life.
We didn't mess around when it came to selecting authors for this project. We reached out to some of the very best fantasy authors alive today to write stories for CHAMPIONS OF AETALTIS!
We have a virtual treasure trove of rewards waiting for you when you pledge to back the CHAMPIONS OF AETALTIS!
To help inspire you and encourage you to get your friends involved as well, we're revealing our first six stretch goals! If funding reaches these levels, your rewards get even bigger!
UNLOCKED! Secret Stretch Goal #1: 100 Backers!
We're adding a digital copy of Marc Tassin's swashbuckling adventure story, The Accidental Pirates, to everyone's reward package!
- The Accidental Pirates by Marc Tassin—After winning a ship from the magistrate in a card game, con-man Dysart Draymore and his apprentice Sparrow find themselves getting more than they bargained when they set sail on their prize!
UNLOCKED! Secret Stretch Goal #2: 200 Backers!
- Rough Magic by Kenny Soward—NIKSABELLA the gnome has tinkered in the shadows for years, developing an invention that might change the world—even if she doesn’t know it. She has few friends and even fewer allies in Hightower, where social and academic status is crucial. Her brother, NIKSELPIK, is an obstinate wizard who drinks heavily, sings dirty songs and makes unmannerly passes at gnomestresses. A dark addiction consumes him, giving him increased power while also pushing him closer to death. Dark, otherworldly creatures, foreign to the lands of SULLENOR, have suddenly appeared, making chaos wherever they go. In the wake of this, Niksabella must fight to protect her life and her invention while Nikselpik engages the enemy as an unlikely counselor to Hightower’s military elite. Will the gnomish siblings find their true powers together, or perish apart? And will they overcome the wounds of their childhood before it's too late?
UNLOCKED! Secret Stretch Goal #3: $10,000
With the $10,000 mark achieved, we've unlocked add-ons! Now you can add extra print copies, a copy of the Heroes of Thornwall, and more! See all your new choices in the Add-Ons section below!
UNLOCKED! Secret Stretch Goal #4: 300 Backers
- Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia—Five days after Owen Zastava Pitt pushed his insufferable boss out of a fourteenth story window, he woke up in the hospital with a scarred face, an unbelievable memory, and a job offer. It turns out that monsters are real. All the things from myth, legend, and B-movies are out there, waiting in the shadows. Officially secret, some of them are evil, and some are just hungry. On the other side are the people who kill monsters for a living. Monster Hunter International is the premier eradication company in the business. And now Owen is their newest recruit. It's actually a pretty sweet gig, except for one little problem. An ancient entity known as the Cursed One has returned to settle a centuries old vendetta. Should the Cursed One succeed, it means the end of the world, and MHI is the only thing standing in his way. With the clock ticking towards Armageddon, Owen finds himself trapped between legions of undead minions, belligerent federal agents, a cryptic ghost who has taken up residence inside his head, and the cursed family of the woman he loves. Business is good . . .
By popular demand, we've decided to roll out some awesome add-ons! Check out these ways to make your pledge deliver even more awesome:
- +$10: ALL THE EBOOKS—For an additional $10 our GUARD backers can elect to receive all the eBooks normally only available to our $25+ backers.
- +$20: EXTRA PAPERBACK—For an additional $20, anyone pledging at the ADVENTURER level or higher can add an extra paperback copy of CHAMPIONS OF AETALTIS. (Maximum of 10)
- +$35: EXTRA HARDCOVER—For an additional $35, anyone pledging at the HERO level or higher can get an extra hardcover copy of CHAMPIONS OF AETALTIS. (Maximum of 10)
- +$20: HEROES OF THORNWALL—For a discounted price of $20, anyone pledging at the ADVENTURER level or higher can add a hardcover print copy of the Pathfinder® compatible Aetaltis sourcebook, THE HEROES OF THORNWALL. (Maximum of 10)
- +$5: EXTRA MAP OF THORNWALL—For an additional $5, anyone pledging at the ADVENTURER level or higher can add an 8 1/2" x 11" color copy of the map of Thornwall! (Maximum of 10)
- +$10: PACK OF BOOKMARKS—For an additional $10, anyone pledging at the ADVENTURER level or higher can add a pack of 5 additional copies of the Aetaltis bookmark! (Maximum of 2 Packs)
- +$10: EXTRA BOOKPLATE—For an additional $10, anyone pledging at the ADVENTURER level or higher can add an extra Aetaltis bookplate! (Maximum of 10)
ADD-ON SHIPPING COSTS
For U.S. backers, all shipping costs are included in the add-on price.
For international backers, please include an additional $10 for shipping on each additional book. There is no additional charge for maps, bookmarks, or bookplates.
We have experience delivering high quality books and have a great head start on this project already—just like we did in our previous successful Kickstarter. Many of the stories are already written, the cover design is finished, the paint on the cover art is nearly dry, and many expenses have been paid in advance. We're able to do this thanks to the exceptionally talented group of people we've brought together to create this book.
More than three hundred years have passed since the fall of the Atlan Alliance, and the people of Aetaltis have finally brought order to their fractured world. Fledgling nations have grown into powerful kingdoms, thriving merchant states have re-established old trade routes, and the priests of the Enaros have rebuilt their great temples. But in this time of hope, the shadow of an ancient evil is rising once again.
- Excerpt from The Heroes of Thornwall
The world of Aetaltis is a fantastic new fantasy setting created by Marc Tassin. Aetaltis was designed to embrace the classic elements in fantasy literature, games, and film that we all love and deliver them in a way that is both refreshingly new and intimately familiar.
A Conclave of Creative Minds: Marc's experience in gaming taught him that a group of creative people working together often created richer, stronger, and more fantastic worlds than any one person working alone could hope to achieve. To harness this power, Marc created Aetaltis as a shared world from the beginning. Shared worlds are settings designed to allow multiple creators to play together in the 'sandbox' in a way that lets them feed off one another's creativity without stepping on each other's toes.
One World. Many Doors::Everyone has their own way to experience other worlds. Some prefer novels, others love short stories, still others gravitate to comics, and some people love games. There is no one way to explore these realms that works best for all people. Aetaltis is built on a framework that offers many means of entry without one point of access limiting others.
The Aetaltis Project: Phase 2
This Kickstarter is Phase 2 of a larger project. The successful Phase 1 Kickstarter, a role-playing game book set in Aetaltis called The Heroes of Thornwall, was completed just before this Kickstarter launched. Each project is a stand-alone endeavor, but the end game is to bring these projects together along with some of the most creative minds in the industry to create one of the greatest fantasy settings ever imagined.
Discover Aetaltis Today
Want to learn more about the world of Aetaltis?
Thank you for your time and patronage! We'll see you in Aetaltis!
Risks and challenges
I believe that the real question is not "What are the risks?" but rather "What plans do we have in place to mitigate those risks?"
COLLECTING THE STORIES: Some of the stories aren't finished because the best authors are always the busiest. What if they don't deliver?
--->MITIGATION: We mitigate this risk by working with pros. These are people who know how to deliver. Just glancing at their published credits shows that they know how to see a project through to completion.
FIRST TIME PUBLISHING AN ANTHOLOGY: This is my first time assembling an anthology independently.
--->MITIGATION: I'm working with John Helfers to help with this project. Not only is he an amazing editor, he spent 15 years working for Tekno Books, one of the largest book packagers in the world. He's helped to assemble and edit hundreds of books, many of them anthologies, for the biggest publishing houses in the world.
FIRST TIME PRINTING AN ANTHOLOGY: I printed a book in my previous Kickstarter, but I haven't printed an anthology before.
MITIGATION: I'm working with Thomson Shore to print this book, the same company that successfully printed my last book. This is the same company that prints books for Ragnarok Publications. In addition, I'm working with Shawn King to handle layout and design. Again, Shawn is highly experienced. You can see his work here and here. Everyone I'm working with has done this before.
THIS IS EXPENSIVE: This is a very expensive project. If my math is wrong or something unexpected happens, how do I keep it alive?
--->MITIGATION: By paying for key pieces in advance I help to reduce the areas of risk. In addition, I have worked with my financial consultant to ensure that I can draw funds, if required, to cover sudden, unexpected costs. I REALLY hope I don't have to, but I can if I must.
DELAYS: This is a complicated project, and despite the fact that I have some amazing people working with me, it is possible that my hope of delivering by December might be overly optimistic.
--->MITIGATION: I'm working very hard to plan things to avoid delays. That said, this project covers a lot of new territory for me. I can't know the unknowns, but I can promise you that I will remain in constant communication so you never have to wonder what's going on.
- (36 days)