Let’s cut right to the chase! It is a pleasure to virtually meet you! My name is Alec Wnuk, and I am the founder of LockBox.
Although I am not a proven mind-reader, at this point, I am sure you are wondering “well, what exactly is LockBox?”
LockBox is an interactive app and web-based solution designed for schools to receive structured feedback from students and parents based on five areas of wellness. Schools have access to real time information through LockBox in graphs and charts to proactively assess actions to best enable student retention, student wellness and parental peace of mind.
During my years as a high school and college student, I experienced the communication challenges between these three major stakeholders. Now, I am looking to make a difference for those in similar situations with your help!
Schools and teachers are looking for new and innovative ways to receive structured feedback to promote student retention, engagement and wellness. LockBox delivers!
Since the thirty-second timer has officially gone off, I would greatly appreciate your time in scrolling below to better understand why LockBox will make a difference in a school near you!
During my time as a young student, I experienced an event(s) as a student in which I felt helpless and stuck without a voice. Countless times, my mother had to stand up for me in order to portray what I was feeling- yes, my mom is the absolute best! Fast forward through the months and many other students began expressing the same voice with similar stories of emotional and psychological wrongdoing towards students. Soon after, parents became aware and letters began to pile up demanding attention and action.
As I grew older, I noticed countless other interchangeable situations in which students were also feeling very similar to how I felt during my experiences.
It was at this moment; I had a realization that I was not the only one. LockBox was inspired through the combination of realizations and the desire to help young people and students better their experiences.
I began brainstorming and discussing with the major stakeholders of the issue in order to better understand the root of the issue. In my discussions with students, parents, and schools, the concept resonated with all, which is why I am hoping to bring LockBox to life to better serve our students' wellness and development in a significant and impactful way.
In order to bring LockBox to life, we need your help. You can make the difference. You matter!
After conducting market validation, the issues surrounding school environments major stakeholders are apparent. During the process, it is noticeable that schools do not provide students and parents with the ability to easily deliver feedback and express concerns centered on student wellness and development. Schools are crucial to our children's future. The current environment desperately needs a platform for students and parents to easily submit feedback and concerns centered on improving student wellness and development. Schools, parents, and students share the common goal of preparing students for life. The lack of an easy to use solution negatively impacts retention, student engagement, and parental peace of mind.
LockBox is designed for students to have a healthy, supportive, and positive experience that propels them into a successful next chapter of their life. In doing so, LockBox is able to give students a voice, enable student wellness, provide schools with actionable insights, enhance the student experience, and increase student engagement. LockBox solves the problem by providing a modern communication and enhancement platform centered on student wellness and development.
During the market validation phase of the process, a particular story sums the importance of LockBox. While discussing the concept with a small private school, the closing statements from the head of school centered around how the 2018-2019 school year has been an unusual school year. He then followed the statement with a prediction. He predicted that he was going to receive numerous complaints from parents regarding the perspective that there were not any open lines of communication for parents to be heard. The story continues to provide an underlying theme in the overall environment. Students and parents want to be heard. There is a need for transparency.
LockBox is an application and web-based solution centered on student wellness and development. The consolidated platform provides students and parents the ability to share their voice and concerns in real time. Furthermore, schools will receive feedback from students and parents based on five wellness pillars of Emotional, Safety, Health, Mental, and Engagement that allow for actionable insight.
Within each pillar, LockBox will feature Best Practices that provide guidance, tips, and healthy habits. Overall, the feedback will provide schools with actionable insights centered on student development and wellness. Schools will receive the easy to use data in visuals of trends, graphs, and charts. Administrators will then be able to proactively address concerns, gaps, and opportunities.
In doing so, LockBox will gather information and feedback beyond a single point in time survey that allows schools to constantly gauge the pulse of their environment at a moment's glance.
Five Wellness Pillars
- Emotional: the ability to express emotions.
- Safety: the condition of being protected and safe from hazardous or dangerous conditions.
- Health: the physical conditions of one being healthy and free of illness or injury.
- Mental: the ability to process emotions, i.e. the thoughts and behaviors that affect the overall quality of life.
- Engagement: the ongoing process of involvement.
LockBox is inclusive to all schools, students, and parents. No matter the level of education or geographical location, LockBox hopes to serve all backgrounds in meaningful and significant ways.
- Actionable insights which lead to the opportunity to provide support for students and parents.
- Bench-marking capabilities which can enhance and attract current and new students and parents.
- Overall awareness and understanding of the environment to highlight strengths and weaknesses.
- Opportunity to engage with students and parents in a productive and efficient manner.
- Opportunity to be heard and engaged.
- Be involved in shaping their experience.
- Opportunity to feel a sense of purpose and community.
- Opportunity to become self-aware.
- Ability to advocate for oneself.
- Peace of mind knowing there is a process in place for their child that specializes in wellness and development.
- A sense of relief knowing the school is committed to preparing students for life.
- Opportunity to provide feedback to the school.
- Understand and relate to other parents.
- Implementation of resources, awareness, and insights.
1. Prepares the student for life.
- LockBox is designed with endless capabilities to offer the utmost support and care for students and parents.
2. Focuses on student wellness and development.
- Through providing feedback, schools will have actionable insights to nurture student development and wellness.
3. Consolidated platform for actionable insights.
- At a quick glance, schools will constantly be able to gauge the pulse of their environment.
4. Increases engagement.
- Students and parents desire and demand to be heard.
5. Opportunity to engage with students in a familiar manner.
- Today and future generations of students are used to communicating their day to day activities behind a screen on platforms such as Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. LockBox is designed to seize the opportunity to then further the relationship between school and student.
6. Students do not feel comfortable expressing their concerns with schools.
- It can be extremely intimidating for students to seek administrators to then sit in their office while detailing particular feedback. It is more productive to gather feedback and concerns first and then have meaningful conversations with those who are involved.
7. Typical surveys do not focus on the overall wellness of the student.
- Year-end academic surveys do not portray the overall wellness of students. Traditional methods of gathering feedback are given at minimal levels throughout the school year and are not aligned to gather useful information regarding overall student wellness and development.
8. Schools desire student and parental feedback but lack a solution to collect and report the information efficiently.
- Schools understand that feedback is essential for overall development and enhancement but one time and minimal surveys lack depth, understanding, and involvement.
- Real-time access for students, parents, and schools.
- Your Voice feature that allows real-time access to submit feedback or concerns in open text entries for students and parents to provide the school with actionable insights.
- An urgent feature that notifies the school to provide immediate attention and action.
- Anonymous option to report feedback for students and parents.
- Ability to customize questions.
- Ability to help and make a referral for activities, academic performance, or personal concerns.
- Best Practices per each wellness pillar- tips, guidance, and healthy habits for students and parents to scroll through.
- Easily customize Best Practices.
- Customizable feedback for classes and staff members.
- Data analytics: easy to use trending, charting, and analysis for schools.
- Parents blog to openly relate and connect with other parents.
- Scheduling options for the timing of feedback given.
- Participation status, Best Practices interactions, and simplified reporting of students and parents.
- Easy to understand benchmark data and comparisons.
- Ability to easily export data.
"I believe there is a lot of merit to the platform. I feel schools would, should, and need to be interested." -Director of School
"I think LockBox can be very useful. I believe this is a more all-inclusive platform." -Director of Counseling
"I am impressed. I do think this would have appeal to students and parents." -Head of School
"Parents recognize the value of a platform like this. It is 2019. Wellness is one of the most talked about topics." -Parent of a High-school student
"LockBox would transform our school by adding transparency between student, educator, and guardian." -Current student
Time and time again, it is apparent there must be open lines of communication between all parties involved.
Students desire the opportunity to provide feedback in order to improve their experience.
Parents desire the opportunity to be heard and engaged with.
Schools desire feedback from students and parents in order to enhance the experience for all involved.
LockBox is designed to be a win-win-win situation for all three parties.
Thank you for your time, effort, and consideration.
Risks and challenges
Moving forward, it will be essential for LockBox to stress the importance of culture and data integrity.
The culture of the platform needs to be clearly identified before implementation. Schools, students, and parents must understand the intention and purpose of the platform. In order to counteract proper misuse of the platform by any parties, I will personally create informative tutorials and virtual workshops about what the platform is designed for and what the platform is not designed for.
Data integrity will be a major source of discussions moving forward. Obviously, schools need feedback but would like the feedback to be protected and secured for their use only. LockBox will guarantee the highest level of security to protect and secure valuable information. The commitment to creating a safe and secure environment is what LockBox is designed upon. The benchmarking tool will only be offered to schools who would like to better understand certain ways to improve a given pillar. For example, if school A has a very high emotional wellness score for incoming students and school B has a low score for the same pillar. Certain guidance can be given from school A to school B in order to improve the overall wellness for school B.
All in all, data integrity and security will be a commitment and promise to schools, parents, and students.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)