About this project
NEW $75 pledge level - Kapture Klip
Update #8 - Only 48 hours to go! Plus limited edition poster.
Update #7 - The Klip is ready!
Update #6 - Collectors edition and more.
Update #5 - Vogue coverage, backer videos, packaging concepts
Update #4 - backer weekend update
Update #3 - we incorporated feedback from the Kickstarter community
Update #2 - backer-only update addressing questions and product suggestions
Update #1 - a full review of our first week on Kickstarter
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING...
"With a Kapture device he could record...something book-worthy." Hopkinson Report (podcast)
"Fashion (Finally) Meets Function: gadgets that make your life easier while allowing you to keep looking good." Vogue
"A twist on the wearable tech and quantified self movement." TechCruch
"Put down the smartphone." Mashable
"Sure, your smartphone has the ability to record voice memos, but using it means you have to know ahead of time about something you'll want recorded." Uncrate
"Shi*t people say gets a product." Upstart Business Journal
"Candid moments are elusive gems of Internet content. So how do we capture more candid content more frequently?" Designed by M
HOW WILL YOU USE IT?
Everyone will use this in their own, unique way. Here are a few examples we've gathered from our Kickstarter community.
"I am completely blind from birth, and thus the sounds around me are one of the most essential things in my life." – Robin K.
"The best ideas always come to mind when I’m in the car or out running." -Sam Y.
"When my son gets exhausted he rattles off hilarious monologues." -Private, Palo Alto
"My Father is getting up in years and while still active and healthy, his memory is really getting bad. It breaks my heart to see his frustration."
"I am writing a book. It is always on my mind. I hear something and think, oh, I need to use that in my book." -Mr. ShantyBoat (check out all his examples under the Comments tab)
"I could finally prove to the world that my son thinks Cheez-Its are made out of Jesus." -Cool Mom Tech
"This is going to be great for capturing sketch and standup set ideas and getting great lines from improv scenes." -Mike S, NYC
HOW IT WORKS.
Kapture functions as a 60-second buffered loop. The loop continuously overwrites itself until you tap the device to save a clip. The saved file is downloaded to your smartphone where the duration can be shortened and you can name, tag, filter, and even share it. Simple!
Remember, if you don't tap - it won't save.
After all, not every conversation is worth remembering :). Kapture is waiting for all of the good stuff.
Kapture Smartphone App:
DESIGNED TO FIT YOUR STYLE.
The retro-microphone inspired design has no buttons or screens. We designed the product to have style not just function.
A Kapture band and microphone grill can be mixed and matched to allow for a customized look. We plan to offer band/grill packs at the time of launch. Whatever the event, we have you covered. Even CHROME or GOLD.
MOVING TO PRODUCTION.
Our fully-functioning, patent-pending prototype has been a labor of love. The hard technical challenges have been identified and fixed. The device communicates with the Kapture App via Bluetooth. We are moving into the final design phase in preparation for launch.
Production Plan Details:
Final Design Files (October '13) - our prototype rocks, but we already know we have to improve the design of the band closure and band connection to the body of the product. We are so close!
Manufacturer Sourcing (Sept - Nov '13) - our plan is to utilize our design partnership to identify the right manufacturing partner.
Material Sourcing (Nov - Dec '13) - identify the best sourcing strategy for each part on our bill of materials list to ensure high quality and consistent delivery.
Manufacturing Qualification (Dec - Jan '14) - validate the manufacturing process so we can deliver the finished product within the defined specifications and tolerances.
Quality Control! Packaging Qualification (January '14) - confirm packaging specifications including live shipment tests to confirm strength.
BETA Test Market (Jan - Feb '14) - confirmation of final design with in-field testing (see our pledge level for Beta Testing).
Kickstarter Order Production (March '14) - produce the orders for our amazing Kickstarter community. Make, Pack, and Ship baby!
Prototype (Under the Hood):
Prototype Tech Specs:
Dimensions: 27.5mm x 35mm x 13.2mm (body)
Body & Grill: Impact proof plastic
Band: medical grade silicone strap
Water resistant construction
Weight: 0.5oz (body), 0.5oz (strap)
Battery: 120mAh battery (>24 hour battery life)
Vibrating motor ·Bluetooth 2.1 (moving to 4.0 for production)
Microphone: waterproof omnidirectional solid state microphone
Accelerometer: 3 axis solid state capable of high fidelity motion tracking
Matthew (left) and Mike (right) co-founded Kapture in order to show folks technology can help preserve moments and relationships that matter. It helps put the priority on social in our social media world. We hope you will support our journey with a pledge today!
Can we do this? It might be the most important question to ask a start-up. It is as much or more about the team executing the plan as it is the idea itself. Let's take a closer look at the our A-team:
- Mike Sarow spent over 12 years working as an Engineer for Procter & Gamble's most intense manufacturing processes. He executed global development, new product development & qualification, and finished product quality control. Mike also moved into the marketing/brand management function to learn strategy for multi-billion dollar brands like Tide, Crest, and Oral-B.
- Matthew Dooley's expertise in social media has ensured our comprehensive design of a product that bridges the online and offline worlds. The rigor he learned running his own social media marketing company - and creating a top university's social media program from scratch - is the backbone of the Kapture development process. His additional background in product pricing and placement will allow for an informed and successful launch.
- David Bill, the new technical advisor to Kapture, has over 20 year experience building and scaling innovative online services such as Wanelo, CoTweet, Klout, LiveFyre, and Spinner. He's also a founding advisor at Freestyle Capital and holds a number of patents.
- Industrial Design Partnership - Kapture's partner firm has a solid foundation in hardware and software (firmware) development on through the manufacturing stage and is staffed with talented electrical, mechanical, and industrial engineers. Their Hong Kong office will be vital in the sourcing/manufacturing process.
Check out our t-shirt design:
Risks and challenges
We know we can't make a high quality finished product without strong and well informed partnerships. We have already identified several including the Sourcing/Manufacturing team from our industrial design firm.
We've applied and plan to incubate with top companies in the supply chain and logistics industry. Together, with strategic partnerships, we will deliver a high quality finished product on time and defect free.
Will there be issues and concerns along the way? Yes is the only real answer. Our supporters will continuously be informed on the progress we're making towards delivering their order. If an issue can not be resolved and poses a potential delay to our timing, then we will be transparent and timely in our communication to the people who are making our growth a reality.
The people who support Kapture on Kickstarter are our most important asset. We will do whatever it takes to keep them in our good graces. Thanks!
- Mike Sarow
The Kapture is water-resistant. A user can leave it on to wash their hands, but the product should not be submerged and should not be worn in the shower, swimming, or any time with prolonged exposure to water.
Initial development will be completed on iOS and Android followed by Windows 8.
Once you save a clip with one tap of the device it will vibrate when the file is successfully transferred to your smartphone (in less than 10 seconds). The short buzz is used to let you know everything went according to plan.
The Kapture allows for about 25 clips to be saved locally. Once your phone is back in range all the clips will download to the app.
We made the Kapture with a new iconic design to facilitate any discussion of legality/privacy when in public. There are two primary laws concerning audio recording in a public setting.
• One Party Consent Laws: Federal law and the law in 38 states. You can record a phone call or conversation so long as you are a party to the conversation. Furthermore, if you are not a party to the conversation, a "one-party consent" law will allow you to record the conversation or phone call so long as your source consents and has full knowledge that the communication will be recorded.
• Two Party: Twelve states require the consent of every party to a phone call or conversation in order to make the recording lawful (California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington). Although they are referred to as "two-party consent" laws, consent must be obtained from every party to a phone call or conversation if it involves more than two people.
In addition it is important to note a general trend in privacy/legality in public;
• Privacy Expectation: Generally speaking, however, you will not be liable for intrusion if you photograph or capture video of people in public places, even if they have not consented to being recorded, because individuals cannot have a reasonable expectation of privacy when in public.
Furthermore, it is important to note a Kapture is only buffering until the user decides to save.
Night of the living Kapture is actually a crazy story. Fresh off a strong first week on Kickstarter, the Kapture page was ZOMBIFIED on FRIDAY the 13TH.
YOU'D BETTER BACK THEM NOW WHILE YOU STILL CAN...
The way Kickstarter deals with color options and add-on accessories is with a post campaign survey to all backers. It is also where a backer provides address information for delivery. Typically the survey does not come out immediately to reduce errors caused by a change in address.
Example: A backer orders a Kapture device in black or white and increases the pledge by $50. In the survey the backer selects a black device, a second band in sea foam ($25), and a black Klip ($25).
Support this project
- (30 days)