You are a taxi driver in the City of Ixat. The city is growing at an unprecedented pace and the arrival of Zipp Taxi, a new driving app, has upended the traditional taxi industry. Everyday drivers like yourself compete to provide the best service and attract the highest paying customers. Do you have what it takes to come out on top in this crazy Taxi Derby?
TAXI DERBY is a competitive, medium weight, pick up and delivery, push your luck game for 1-5 players. It lasts about 60 minutes and can be enjoyed by the whole family.
Why back this project?
- Fun game play - No limits to a player's movement means that players are free to push their luck as they race around the board. Modular game boards, different passenger and taxi upgrade starting points means that players will play a different game each time.
- KS limited exclusive content - Deluxe copies will NOT enter regular distribution. Don't miss out on these awesome extras.
- Game gets BETTER - With your pledge more stretch goals WILL unlock, making the game better for everyone.
In Taxi Derby each player races around the board, picking up passengers, upgrading their taxis and trying to earn the most money. Be careful though, and try to avoid the patrol car looking to catch and issue you a ticket for pushing your luck too much. Check out the reviews below for more in depth discussion about the gameplay and strategy of Taxi Derby.
TAXI DERBY PLAYTHROUGH VIDEO (2 Players)
Brady and his wife Bailee put together a playthrough video for a two player game. If you are interested in seeing how a game of Taxi Derby is played, check it out. Hope you guys enjoy!
Taxi Derby is a pick up and delivery game combined with a unique push your luck element for 1 to 5 players.
The objective of Taxi Derby is to be the player with the most money at the end of the game. Money is collected when players pick up passengers and drop them off around the city. Sound easy? Well, passengers in the City of Ixat are very picky and require taxis with specific upgrades. Each upgrade can only be purchased while your taxi is empty. So players must plan their strategy carefully to weigh whether it is better to upgrade or pick up an especially lucrative passenger on their turn, because someone else might pick them up.
In many pick up and delivery games a player is limited by the number of spaces they can move on their turn. In the City of Ixat, the speed limit is 4 spaces. However, a player can move AS MANY spaces as they want on their turn. For each space moved over the speed limit, the patrol car has a higher chance of catching you and issuing you a ticket. Therefore, you decide how much you want to push your luck to be able to maximize the effectiveness of your turn.
Playing it safe and not speeding means you get to move the patrol car any direction you choose. Use this to your advantage to foil your competitors.
A turn consists of performing up to two of the following actions:
1) Pick up a passenger: Pick up a passenger if you have the required upgrade listed on the passenger tile.
2) Drop off a passenger: Drop off a passenger at the location marked on their passenger tile and receive the payout listed.
3) Upgrade your taxi: Pay the amount shown on the store and take one of the available taxi upgrades. Multiple upgrades unlock special abilities to help you win the game.
Scattered throughout the City of Ixat are all kinds of people. As you drive around the city you will find: daily commuters, business people, government agents, celebrities, politicians and even the occasional criminal. Each of these passengers has different requirements and payout preferences. For example, some passengers will pay more if you have delivered a passenger of the same type. Others might require that you haven't received too many tickets. These unique passengers will influence your strategy as a driver, since the more passengers you can deliver of a specific type, the more likely it is you will earn an end of bonus reward. So plan carefully and grab the passengers before your competitors do.
Watch out for the patrol car! As soon as you move more than 4 spaces the patrol car will chase you. Roll the 4-sided die and multiply the result by the number of spaces you moved over the speed limit. If the patrol car catches you, hopefully you can pay the ticket. If you can't pay the fine listed on the ticket, then you will lose your passengers and your car will be towed to the police station. The more spaces you move on your turn, the more likely it is for the patrol car to catch you!
END OF GAME
You never know who is going to win Taxi Derby until the cars screech to a halt and the dust settles in the City of Ixat. End of game bonuses are awarded to players who meet certain objectives like having the the most upgrades on their taxi or least number of tickets when the game ends. Additionally, players are rewarded for collecting more of a type of passenger than their competitors. The biggest payout goes to the player who sped the most on their turn without getting caught by the patrol car. So make sure and PUSH YOUR LUCK while you can!
In Taxi Derby the game board is modular meaning that you can set it up however you want for a new game each time. Additionally, passengers and upgrades are distributed randomly on the board. All this adds up to a game that is different each time you play this fast-paced game!
Each Kickstarter backer who pledges at the "Deluxe" level will receive the City Traffic Expansion as part of their pledge. This expansion adds TWO mini-expansions to Taxi Derby which unlocks new strategies for the game. You may add both mini-expansions for increased strategy or pick your favorite to spice up your game night!
1.) City Traffic Cones: In this mini-expansion, players need to keep an eye on their GPS. Construction crews are moving around the city fixing roads which is causing some road closures. Make sure and plan your route accordingly so you're not caught taking a longer route. Did we mention that players choose where the construction crews go next? Use this to your advantage to close down roads and foil your competitor's plans.
2.) City Congestion: In this mini-expansion, player's need to strategically choose where to drop off their passengers. Every time a player drops off a passenger, congestion will build somewhere along that road. The active player chooses where the congestion marker is placed on the road. This won't stop your competition but it DEFINITELY will slow them down.
We will be providing more details and examples in an upcoming update. Stay tuned!
We have been working hard to make sure Taxi Derby is composed of high quality components and artwork. The following pictures are from prototypes we created to showcase the beautiful artwork from our illustrator and graphic designer Phillip Ach.
The most effective way to assure that we unlock all the stretch goals is to share this project on your social networks: Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, blogs, etc. Share this project with EVERYONE!
Here are some fun social media avatars you can use to help with that.
Jalen - Smart Speedster
Diego - Drift Coach
Jasmine - Maestro
Daisy - Hippie Grandma
Amy - Minivan Model
Shipping will be charged during your post-Kickstarter campaign survey on which you will fill in your shipping address. Our pledge manager will use your shipping address to calculate and charge you for shipping your reward. We all know that shipping isn't free, so we want to subsidize as much of the cost as we can to get Taxi Derby to you as cheaply as possible! Therefore, we have decided to subsidize shipping costs by $10 across the board. Listed below are the shipping costs after the $10 reduction.
Shipping cost by region (1 to 9 copies):
- USA: $5 for Taxi Derby and $5 for EACH additional game.
- Canada: $10 for Taxi Derby and $5 for EACH additional game.
- Europe: $15 to Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden for Taxi Derby, plus $10 total for EACH additional game.
- Europe: $20 to Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland for Taxi Derby, plus $10 for EACH additional game.
- Croatia, Iceland, Israel, and Ukraine: $30 for Taxi Derby, plus $10 for EACH additional game.
- Turkey and Russia: $40 for Taxi Derby, plus $10 for EACH additional game.
- China and Hong Kong: $10 for Taxi Derby, plus $5 for EACH additional game.
- Australia and New Zealand: $20 for Taxi Derby, plus $10 for EACH additional game.
- Japan, S. Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam: $30 for Taxi Derby, plus $10 for EACH additional game.
- Indonesia: $40 for taxi Derby, plus $10 for EACH additional game.
- Brazil, Chile, and Mexico: $35 for Taxi Derby, plus $10 for EACH additional game.
- South Africa, Jordan, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, and United Arab Emirate: $40 for Taxi Derby, plus $10 for EACH additional game.
Bulk shipping cost by region (10 copies):
- USA: $40 for ten copies.
- Canada: $45 for ten copies.
- Europe: $85 to Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden for ten copies.
- Europe: $90 to Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland for ten copies.
- Croatia, Iceland, Israel, and Ukraine: $95 for ten copies.
- Turkey and Russia: $105 for ten copies.
- China and Hong Kong: $50 for ten copies.
- Australia and New Zealand: $90 for ten copies.
- Japan, S. Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam: $95 for ten copies.
- Indonesia: $105 for ten copies.
- Brazil, Chile, and Mexico: $100 for ten copies.
- South Africa, Jordan, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, and United Arab Emirate: $105 for ten copies.
If you plan to order 50 or more copies, please contact us for additional discounted rates based on your region.
Risks and challenges
The publication of a board game is a highly involved process. It can be prone to many mistakes and delays, even for experienced publishers. As a first time publisher, we will do everything in our power to ensure on-time delivery and will reach out concerning any unforeseen circumstances. The most important thing to us is that YOU, the backer, are treated fairly and with respect.
The game requires no further work, it has been through countless blind and normal playtests and is ready to be printed.
All of the artwork is done for the game, we have a few bits of graphic design to finish off for the rule book and the back of the box, but we don’t see any potential delays being caused by these tasks.
The bulk of the work prior to manufacturing now remaining is copy editing and proof reading of all the content, to make sure we catch any spelling mistakes. We have allowed time in our delivery schedule to manage this.
The LongPack production quote is in hand and ready to be initiated once we are funded. We are extremely confident in their ability to create an exceptional game for you.
SHIPPING AND FULFILLMENT
We are working with an experienced fulfillment partner. We are confident that they can handle any amount of work we send their way. They have fulfilled many projects and have proven to be communicative, punctual and respectful in our communications.
Thank you for your trust in us and let's make this exciting project a reality!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)