There are phones and smartphones, 3D Printers and GALA
There are phones and smartphones, 3D Printers and GALA
Gala is the 3D Printer that everyone must have! Gala is Smart, easy to use, fully-featured and affordable.
Gala is the 3D Printer that everyone must have! Gala is Smart, easy to use, fully-featured and affordable. Read more
As makers we use 3D printers in our everyday work, as parents we try to transfer to our kids the passion for making their own creations trying to introduce them into 3D printing world. Many friends, colleagues and relatives ask us every day which is the best 3D printer to buy... and the answer is not easy since while most of 3D printers are very difficult to use for the non techies, others are too expensive. We have seen new 3D printers in the market and Kickstarter every day which promise to be cheap, reliable and of high quality.
But in reality, most of them are far from the expectations of the current 3D printing market. Some need to be assembled by you, or can only print tiny objects. Others print at a really poor quality (when they do print), require an expert to operate, are simply impossible to calibrate or they have all of these problems together!
You may be asking why I must choose Gala for over the others 3D printers on market?
There's a lot of 3D printers on market, we know! While some printers are cheap, some are ready to use just out of the box, few printers are easy to use, few printers are reliable, some print at great quality and some got really cool features, none of them are all of this together...Until Gala. Our 3D printer is all of this and much more.
Here some of the articles:
Gala was Salvador Dalí’s inspiring muse, now is the time for you to be inspired by Gala... Gala was designed to meet everyone’s needs: From students to professional, from kids to elderly, everyone can turn ideas into physical objects, everyone can learn, enjoy, play or work with Gala. Start your own 3D printing business, make toys for your kids, create jewelry, artistic objects, product prototypes or personalized objects... With Gala everything is possible.
We created Gala with the following requirements in mind:
- It must be strong but beautiful (We hate to see cables, mechanic parts or motors)
- It must have a large build volume (8" x 8" x 8" is an acceptable average size for us)
- It must print at excellent quality at high speed (11 microns or 0.0004" precision at 50-80 mm/s)
- It must be easy to use for beginners but also powerful for professionals.
- It must work with any filament available on market (We are going to sell our certified filament but you can use any filament from market also) It must be easy to use (Just load filament, select the model and press "print")
- It must have all the features that we love from other machines and much more (WiFi, Touchscreen, Camera, Heated bed, Bed auto leveling, fully enclosed, air carbon filter, a microcomputer inside to remove computer dependency, expansible an economic 3D scanner accessory is on the way)
- It must be social (Cloud enabled, access to online object digital libraries just from screen, publish photos and time lapse videos in YouTube, Facebook or twitter automatically)
- It must be open, everyone can maintain or improve their Gala and share it with our community.
- Gala is not just hardware, we developed the internal software, the cloud slicer, the control software and digital library site where users can share designs, productions, ideas and interact with others.
Gala has almost the same size as most laser or inkjet printers and at the same time features a large build volume of 0.30 ft3 (9250 cm3), so with Gala you can make parts of 8 x 8 x 8 inches.
Our GeniXtruder can detect the filament absence and monitor the filament flow in real time. This is a Gala's unique feature that allows to modify extrusion temperature to prevent a clog. In case a clog is detected, Gala sends a message to the user and tries to solve the clog automatically! How? Pausing the print and moving the print head to waste box position, then make a combination of temperature changes, extrusion and retraction in order to solve the issue, if it succeeds the printing process continues from last point, if not, it waits for user intervention to solve the issue and continues printing after that. How do we do that? After each extrusion order from the microcomputer to the 3D printer controller, the system checks the filament flow and detects under extrusion (in this case,it varies the temperature to correct it) or clogs (in this case, the unclog procedure is fired). So with Gala you will never suffer the infamous air printing!!!
Gala has a Brain.Actually a 900Mhz Quad Core 1GB RAM Brain, so Gala is able to think. Thanks to this amazing features Gala can be operated from almost any device with a web browser, you can choose to use the Drotix cloud slicer or slice internally at Gala, you can use your computer to chose the model and print, but this also can be done from your phone, tablet or Smart TV... or none of them, just select the model and print it using the touchscreen.
Gala has an eye. The sensor itself has a native resolution of 5 megapixel, and has a fixed focus lens onboard. In terms of still images, the camera is capable of 2592 x 1944 pixel static images, and also supports 1080p30, 720p60 and 640x480p60/90 video. So you can monitor your Gala everywhere and also take pictures, videos and timelapses of your works.
Print this incredible Yoda at home in minutes!
As we mentioned, we won't reinvent the wheel, we took many incredible ideas from incredible people in open community, putted all together and added our ideas and knowledge, from this Gala was created. Many parts and software features were inspired by others in the open community, so after fulfill shipments we will focus in documenting and share all Gala hardware and software sources.
To prove how much we support the printer’s ability to use any filament available on the market, we will certify the filaments that you request, i.e. we will buy a roll of such filament and will create a profile (with the temperature, speed and ideal resolutions) for that filament.
Before sending the machines we will put in our site (and of course in users manuals) the complete list of parts and software used in Gala as Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license of many of them requires.
Gala is fully enclosed, this brings many advantages:
- It's more pleasing to the eye and at the same time gives a strong structure, you can put your hand without fear since motors, rods and belts are hidden.
- We have perfectly separated zones, the hot zone allows to print big parts without issues the electronics and motors are in the cold zone to improve performance and lifetime.
- The air exhaust is filtered using an active carbon filter eliminating odors.
- We reduced the machine noise emission to the minimum.
- External dimensions X Y Z: 41.5 / 41.5 / 46.5 cm
- Printer heads: 1
- Layer resolution: up to 20 micron
- Build volume: 8 x 8 x 8 inches (20.5 x 20.5 x 21 )
- Position precision X Y Z: 10 / 10 / 5 micron
- Print speed: 20 mm/s - 100 mm/s (Up to 200 mm/s with heat block change and .6 to 1.2 mm nozzles)
- Travel speed: 30 mm/s - 350 mm/s
- Filament diameter: 1.75 mm
- Nozzle diameter: 0.35 mm (Optional .25 to 1.2 mm nozzles, some of them requires heat block change.)
- Tested filaments: PLA, ABS, HIPS, FLEXIBLE ABS, FLEXIBLE PLA, LAYWOOD, LAYBRICK, PVA & Nylon.
- Print technology: Fused filament fabrication (FFF)
- Nozzle Operation temperature: 300° to 750° F (150° - 400° C)
- Heated bed Operation temperature: 120° to 220° F (50° - 105° C)
- Ambient operation temperature: 32° to 104° F (0° - 40° C
- AC input: 100 - 240 V / ~3.5 AMPS / 50 - 60 HZ / 200 watt max.
- Power requirements: 12 V DC @ 10 AMPS
- Connectivity: WiFi & RJ45 network support / 2 USB / 1 expansion port
- Camera Resolution: 5MP Stills & 1080P Video.
- Touch Screen: 2.8" Resistive touch screen.
- Internal Computer: 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU 1GB RAM
- Hardware License: Creative commons BY-NC
- Supported File types: STL / GCODE
- Supported Slicers: Drotix Cloud slicer / Gala internal slicer / Gala suite - (Mac and Win) / Any Gcode generator.
- Web UI supported Devices: Android / IOS phone and tablets. Smart TV (Tested with Samsung and LG), Mac, Windows and Linux computers.
- Social sharing: Facebook, YouTube and Twitter (G+ & Pinterest are on the way)
- Software License: Creative commons BY-NC
- Active exhaust carbon filter
- Fully enclosed chamber with hot (print) and cold zones.
- Concealed design with no external parts
- 3D Scanner (Use the internal Camera, 2 linear lasers and turntable for about $250)
- Acetone Chamber (Use the heated bed)
We do not seek to be the cheapest option nor do we believe that we will be those who make the fourth industrial revolution.
Our aim is to make functional 3D printers, the best of their kind, with all the features that the user seeks at a reasonable price... and, why not, to collect $ 179, $ 299 or $ 447 for each machine? Because our price structure is realistic, it was developed by manufacturing/procurement experts who work as external consultants for Fortune 500 companies, in the price we have included the full cost of production (taking into account not only the components but also labor, rework, tools and other direct and indirect costs), the warranty costs, structure costs (Finance, procurement, manufacturing, customer service, handling, sales, marketing departments, etc.) We are not dreamers who want to make a one shoot product, we work daily for Fortune 500 companies, we know how to do it. Our software development processes are certified by ISO 9001 and we will hopefully also certify hardware manufacturing processes.
We want to invest our money in quality products not in fancy commercials.
We are not asking for funds to make a printer (We can do it at small scale with our funds.) We are asking for funds to grow up our company, as mentioned in the video and as it will be detailed further on, we do not only have Gala we also have the first prototypes and designs for accessories (3D Scanner will be the first) and also the preliminary design of its big sisters: Gala XL 12x12x22 "(30x30x56 cm) and Gala XXL with 16x16x32 (40x40x80 cm) both with double extrusion (_.6mm for details and 1.2mm for infill or huge pieces).
Besides our eternal gratitude, for each 1300+ Reward you will receive an US assembled Gala ready to use with all the software pre-loaded, instructions manual, country-specific power adapter, and one 1LB filament spool. You can unbox it, and print right away - it’s as quick and as simple as that.
- Deliver the best possible product.
- Deliver the best companion and internal software
- Execute the best Quality assurance
- Deliver the machines on time
- Bring the best support (Manuals, Video tutorials, phone and online support)
Risks and challenges
Most structure parts are Acrylic and HIPS Laser cutted, we have our own laser cutter and also we can use a provider for this without any risk.
Most of the parts are generics as hotend, screen, pulleys, motors, belts and bearings, so we have a set of provider for them in US to minimize risks.
Some parts like the extruder, magnetic fix and camera mount are custom-madeand require injection molding, there are a few parts but they are critical, for a high quality machine, we require precise parts so this could be a risk, we have a very reliable manufacture partner that will deliver great quality on time that we already use for other projects.
MANUFACTURE, SUPPLY CHAIN AND LOGISTICS
We worked hard in one key aspect, the manufacture:
The place: We have a warehouse to manufacture the product.
People: We are training our actual team in assembly, calibration and testing of the machines, so they will be the team leaders with the new team members.
Methodology: In our experience working with Fortune 100 companies, the methodology is one of the most important aspects (critical) to achieve success, so our software development processes are certified to ISO9001 and we plan to certify hardware production processes shortly.
Suppliers: Most of the productions fail in the selection of Suppliers, that is why we focus on 3 essential issues for us when choosing our suppliers: their product quality, capacity and delivery terms and finally the price.
That's why before launching the campaign we ensure a minimum of 3 suppliers for each component (1 Strategic and 2 backup) with whom we have verified quality and deliverability. 100% of our critical components are provided by suppliers with production or stock in the USA and strategic suppliers have production or stock in USA for 87% of them, and 100% of components have at least one of supplier with production or stock in USA.
Tools: We have selected suppliers of equipment and tools that we will need for the manufacturing and once the campaign is funded we will start acquisition process.
Delivery time: We have components orders to cover Early and super early birds units and after every 100 printers batch was backed, we will generate a new order to the suppliers with whom we already have agreements discounts for cumulative quantities and need not reach the end of the campaign to negotiate the price.
- (30 days)