THE STORY - How does it all come together!?
How come that a Swiss rugby playing watch nerd named Jonas Nydegger and his international group of friends and work companions from Germany, Taiwan and the United Kingdom happen to kick off this supra human project?
Unlike many of the mechanical watch projects having been either launched or even crowd funded in the past years, this watch is based on an in-house mechanical movement design, which has been developed by this team during the past 7 years.
We call it "ACCURAT SWISS K1". Experts in the Swiss industry told us that without being part of one of the large luxury groups it would be impossible and would take us a 100 million Swiss Francs to make an own mechanical movement which can be produced on an industrial scale and at industrial precision. Up to now it didn´t cost us this fortune but in order to speed up our work, a little more cash always helps when you need to produce physical real objects.
And this is why we turn to the crowd… because we all know banks "s..." and are the “turnoff” for heavy weight projects like this no matter how far you have come already.
We are a team of small companies and entrepreneurs dedicated to supporting this crazy challenge of designing and manufacturing a mechanical industrial movement; especially in times when people think the classic, mechanical watch is doomed.
History tells us that things that have been around for many hundreds of years will typically stay around for longer than most people think. And as a backup plan of human time keeping perhaps it is not such a bad thing to have a non-electric non-magnetic time machine besides your i-watches, phones and other online electronic devices.
In short we can say:
- JONAS the rugby playing precision freak is the man who is driving it.
- MOMOPLUS AG a behind-the-scenes industry supplier from Biel in the heart of Switzerland founded 20 years ago by Tzuyu Huang started it.
- HORAGE SA Tzuyu´s, Julia´s and Andi´s (Tzuyu´s husband) Swiss mechanical watch company creates beautiful products based on it.
- ARMIN STROM watches and MUEHLE GLASHUETTE watches are supporting it.
And because one of these companies or individuals cannot achieve this task alone and because all of them contribute their part, we chose ACCURAT SWISS as a sub-label name.
Originally we never intended for it to be publicized but then with the trend of crowd funding coming to our world we thought WHY NOT!?!?.
- ACCURAT implies what you expect from a watch – PRECISION.
- SWISS is where the best cheese comes from … and watches… sorry Thilo Muehle our partner from Germany; at least you guys make the best cars and German watches.
- K1 the movement name has been chosen because achieving this task is equally as difficult as climbing one of the “K” mountains in the Karakorum mountain range. Often people die, luckily Jonas is still alive.
At this point thanks to an early engineer and good friend of ours Stephan Kussmaul who contributed a major part to this movements design und construction.
Because you cannot strap a movement alone around your wrist, we asked Julia to design a beautiful and comfortable case around it, showcasing the uniqueness of this movement behind printed and anti-reflective sapphire crystal glass.
We named it “JONAS K1” because he is the man laying hands on every single one of these watches, so we dedicated this whole project and watch to him.
"JONAS K1" comes in three colours. One of them carries the nickname Kitty, guess which one!? Every young fathers nightmare!
Other THINGS which you do not right away see, but are unique in this watch:
- It´s silicon nano coated regulating technology in the automatic winding mechanism stores your energy in a spring approx. 45cm long.
- The overall modular design concept which was inspired by the auto industry.
- Our patented deployment buckle which exceeds all known tests from Swiss watch industry standards.
Experienced watch experts immediately will identify that this is something you cannot buy in the next corner shop.
THE BASIC FEATURES
We cannot explain everything because there are a zillion things in this product, which would be worth explaining. Rest assured that this watch is jam packed with the very best Swiss engineering.
- Movement: Accurat Swiss K1 25,6 mm x 4,95 mm
- Functions: 2 hands, small seconds, big date
- Power reserve: 56 hours - automatic winding
- Regulation: 3,5 Hz 25.200 A/h - Accurat Swiss Silicon - Nano coating
- Rotor: Solid Tungsten with a bit of Widmannstätten design (look it up in Wiki if you do not know what it is;-)
- Case: 39mm 316 L stainless steel brush & polish
- Water proof: 100m
- Saphire: 2 color subsurface index printing
- Dial: Sorry - we forgot it!
- Hands: Skeleton (white, yellow, pink) Super-luminova
- Case back: Sapphire - Kickstarter limited edition engraving
- Crown: Stainless - knurl machined
- Strap: Calf Leather - black/blue - grey/yellow - white glossy/pink
- Clasp: Folding style with leaf spring (Pat. Pend.)
Because of so much sapphire crystal you can look at it from all angles, but don´t forget to wear it, it's not made to gather dust in your safe.
JONAS K1 wraps around your wrist with smooth calf-leather strap from some happy Swiss cows.
Even though there is not much left to patent after several 100 years of mechanical watch making, we found something, which is often overlooked. A unique deployment buckle design, which defeats every single test the Swiss watch industry could think of!
Open-Close-Open-Close… until your fingertips bleed. You won´t break it.
TURN ON the sounds of your speakers when watching this movie - it is worth it !!!!!!
But please come back and do not forget to support us!
We could offer a lifetime warranty, but perhaps this is more a marketing gag rather than a promise one should give. We are sure this watch will last longer than 2 years so in any case we offer a standard warranty period of two years.
A mechanical watch can last for a lifetime, but it should be worn regularly to keep oils flowing and perhaps if you think you missed an important date because your watch did not show the right time, it might be time to visit a watchmaker to let him have a look and trim it back to precision. Once in a while this is necessary but it only should be done when you missed your second date and perhaps the love of your life. Some watch repair shops manage to repair things to death just to get some of your cash.
Some companies just go to Alibaba and look up some lanyard suppliers to do their merchandising, but we're a bit too OCD for that!
Everything we do revolves around making products which means it is pretty much unthinkable to just buy an off the shelf product and stick our name on it. So for the ones who want to support our project with a more limited budget, we created this unique and stylish surgical grade, stainless chain ring with micro karabiners to keep your keys together in your pocket or around your neck.
The braided Italian leather band makes it so stylish that you could even wear it without any key on it.
It seems old fashioned in these smartphone times, but sometimes it is just nice to take a pen and scribble on solid, high quality paper.
Besides blank pages for your creative ideas you will find lovely illustrations about time, life and philosophy from our creative mind Rebecca Yen. It is semi hard covered, bound in a traditional way so it flexibly fits into your pockets besides the phablets and the phones.
Calf leather strap for your Jonas K1
We have been asked by some of our backers if we offer spare leather straps. We thought perhaps it might be interesting to see how a spec sheet looks like from one of the best strap makers in the world. Thanks to Schweizer & Schoepf for the support in the past and the future. If you need a spare you can add it to your order. We will later clarify color (black, grey, glossy white) and length (65-105 or 75-115mm) with you. On the long term these straps will also be available from HORAGE. We will keep enough spares.
We are not rookies in this field and our combined work history in the mechanical watch world amounts to more than 100 years.
This means that we are confident of delivering this product on time and in the right quality. After all we have been doing so with many of our customers for the past 18 years helping them make watches. Now we have reached a crucial turning point.
We've spent every spare cent from our business to create a revolutionary new mechanical watch movement, but the biggest hurdle still remains:
Starting mass production! Now we need your help!
Let's use Kickstarter to turn our dream into reality. Together we can achieve something completely new and 100% independent from the industry dominating Luxury Groups: A real 'Swiss Industrial Manufacture' watch at an unheard of price - our supporters will only be paying for the production cost of their watch.
- Jonas Nydegger: Engineer - watchmaker - precision freak and avid Rugby player at his rugby club in Solothurn
- Roger Michael Seal: Master of the written word, creative mind and cycling addict (linkedIn)
- Florian Serex: Engineer - living dictionary of mechanical watch movements - trumpet player (LinkedIn)
- Tzu Yu Huang: Our beloved boss - manufacturing and supply chain expert (Facebook - sure you will find her)
- Julia Hou: Star designer, in the field of watches (Facebook).
- Andreas Felsl: The man when the shit hits the fan. (linkedIn)
- Mike Maurer: Sales and Marketing Pro and multi faceted sports hero (linkedIn)
- Clemens Maucksch: The movie maker and animation guru (http://clemensmaucksch.de)
Risks and challenges
Like all product based Kickstarter campaigns, production delays are our biggest challenge. We've received firm commitments on lead times and have been in weekly communication with our suppliers. Should there be an issue we will communicate it immediately and adjust our fulfilment times if needed.
Our prototypes have exceeded our expectations and concise quality standards have been communicated to minimize potential issues for the manufacturing process.
Keeping you informed is of utmost concern. Regular updates will be provided and questions answered in a timely manner.
If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to ask or call us.
HORAGE SA | Fuchsenried 10 | 2504 Biel | Switzerland
Tel: +41 32 344 1665
Fax: +41 32 344 1667
- (30 days)