What are NFC Tags?
Near Field Communication tags are small programmable scan-able stickers with circuits embedded inside to allow communication and automation of tasks with your smartphone.
Program a dozen tasks or more all in one NFC Enabled Smartphone scan. Set a toggle or 2nd scan for a on/off effect.
What Can I do with NFC Tags? (Android)
- Launch Applications
- Control your PC (Pause Netflix, VLC, etc..)
- Open Navigation to a specific address
- Store and provide contact information with employers/friends
- Send Text Messages/Emails with a predefined message
- Have friends connect to your wifi without a password
- Enable Bluetooth and connect to bluetooth speakers/devices
- Unlock your Phone
- Turn System settings on/off
- Turn Wifi Lights/Outlets on/off Dial a phone number
- Take a picture
- Set an alarm
- Promote social media links for your business
- 1000's of combinations are possible. Stack multiple tasks!
- Automate your Life!
Disclaimer: The state of NFC Tag scanning and the app experience varies heavily between Android, Windows, Blackberry, and Apple devices. The list above represents Android capabilities and you can expect the best experience in those cases. Windows Phones have a confirmation click after scanning a tag (We hope Microsoft removes this in the future), and the overall capabilities are limited. Apple currently has no NFC Tag programming apps available, but again we hope this changes in the future considering the new line of products have NFC Chips.
Share on FB/Twitter and Comment to tell us you shared the campaign and to receive an extra NFC key chain with your Standard / Power Kit.
ACHIEVED --> 50 FB Shares or $3500 - Double the Pictograms. 24 Pictograms for the Standard Kits. 48 Pictograms for the Power Kits.
ACHIEVED --> $9000 - Standard Kit backers will have one of their NFC Tags upgraded to Anti-Metal. Power Kits will have two of their NFC Tags upgraded to antimetal plus a free bonus antimetal tag for 21 total tags & 2 key chains. Anti metal tags will be slightly thicker and be a blank white so you can quickly tell the difference. Just put a pictogram on top to communicate its function on the fridge or other metal surfaces.
ACHIEVED --> $11000 - Standard Kits upgraded to 48 Pictograms. Power User Kits will now receive a second set of 48 pictograms as seen below. That is 96 Pictograms in total.
Stretch Goal: Pictograms [Power Kits]
Support the PhoneHome Project. NFC Tags are brilliantly designed, intuitive, and easy to program.
- Simple - Communicate function at a glance. Friends & Customers will understand the tags purpose.
Intuitive - Just a quick scan of a NFC enabled Smartphone
- Education - Videos/Tutorials available at our website. The basics of NFC programming pamphlet is included for all kits.
As seen on
Check out what ThatReviewGuy has to say about NFC Tags and the PhoneHomeProject in the video below!
New Partnership with Unified Remote! Control your PC with NFC Tags.
Where would I use my NFC Tags?
We recommend using NFC Tags on your desk, nightstand, car, wireless speakers, at your business or even on your pet! NFC Tags can be placed next to a cash register to drive customers to your social media pages. NFC Tags have wide ranging applications within the home, on the go, or at any business.
Program a tag in seconds.
What App should I use to program my NFC Tags?
*Disclaimer: The PhoneHome Project is in no way affiliated with Egomotion Corp, or any other of these mobile application developers except Unified Remote.*
Trigger by Egomotion Corp - Program dozens of basic tasks in one scan. This app is powerful and can be combined with tasker for very powerful solutions.
- Unified Remote - Control your PC. VLC, Itunes, Netflix, Plex, and other remotes are available to have actions tied to NFC Tags.
- Sorry folks. Apple is late to the NFC Tag Party. For now their NFC Chips can only perform mobile transactions. Sign the petition below to demand NFC Tag scanning features in Apple devices.
The process is slightly different on each app, but our team downloaded and evaluated over 200 NFC related apps to learn which ones work the best! As the project progresses we will release video tutorials and simple step by step guides to help you out. Our educational pamphlet will be released online in pdf form on the website too.
When you combine multiple apps together like Trigger, Tasker, Frep, Wemo, and IFTTT one single NFC Tag can do almost anything.
Go to your Phone's System Settings --> Wireless and Network --> Look for NFC --> Swipe it to ON. If this setting exists you can scan NFC Tags.
*iPhone 6 & Apple Watch Disclaimer: Currently Apple has not released general access to the NFC Chip for mobile application development. This means until they do NFC tags will NOT work. Apple is expected to match Android's level of NFC functionality so we hope that support will come, eventually. We promise to stay up to date with any news regarding such feature implementation. Please support us at your own risk for compatibility.*
- NFC is a subset of RFID Technology
- NTAG213 Semi Conductors
- 144 Bytes of Storage (137 Write-able)
- 2 mm thickness PVC material
- 25 mm (1 inch) diameter
- Water Proof
- High Resolution Print Vinyl Stickers
- NFC Tags require no battery. Each scan uses very little energy from your smartphone
- NFC Tags in general do not work on metal surfaces due to interference. Keep that in mind when you apply them to a surface.
- Special Anti-Metal tags are included in each kit for application on metal surfaces.
Risks and challenges
After months of prototyping and going through dozens of designs we want to bring you the highest quality product possible. RFID Tags and NFC Tags are a proven technology that even NASA has experimented with. If it works in space it can work in your home.
This project was developed through the skills taught as part of Lehigh University's Mountaintop Project and grows through the business advice provided by the Baker's Institute for entrepreneurship, innovation and creativity. No challenge is too great!
The Phonehome Project has been in discussion with multiple manufacturers and chose one that offers the highest quality NFC Tags possible. Quality control methods are in place to make sure every product meets strict specification standards. We promise direct customer service to replace any defective tags. We have already obtained a small batch of prototypes from our manufacturers and they have 100% met our high quality standards.
NFC Tags are so customize-able and powerful it is easy for a user to get overwhelmed with so much potential. We want to simplify the programming process with great videos and tutorials so that anyone can push the limits of NFC Tag customization. Our educational pamphlet will help you with the basics!
Our main goal in this campaign is to satisfy our valued backers and automate your life! This is only the beginning and our team is working to bring even more exciting products to your home.
Thank you for your time,
PhoneHome Project Team
- (40 days)