COMIC BOOK PEOPLE will be a hardcover high-quality coffeetable book of some 600 candid photos of comics creators and related folk, taken in the 1970s and 1980s. Most of the photos are black and white, but there will be a 16-page color section.
Over the last 40 years I’ve taken thousands of photos at comic conventions, science fiction conventions, and related events. The negatives for these photos have recently been digitized, creating a treasure trove of material to choose from for this book.
Please see my bio for my background in photography as well as in the comics industry; my photos of comics folks have been widely used in books, magazines, and documentaries over the years.
These are rare shots from the days before comics and conventions were big pop culture events, when the founding fathers of the artform were still among us and today's top talents were just aspiring young pros trying to get noticed. If you were there, this is a great way to recall fond memories. If you weren't, these photos are a candid and unfiltered picture of a simpler time, familiar but far away.
You will find, for instance:
* Rare shots of Golden and Silver Age greats like Jerry Siegel, Joe Shuster, Jack Kirby, Stan Lee, Will Eisner, Carl Barks, Bob Kane, Harvey Kurtzman, C. C. Beck, Murphy Anderson, Jules Feiffer, Gardner Fox, L. B. Cole, Alex Schomburg, Mike Sekowsky, Curt Swan, Jack Katz, Joe Kubert, John Romita, Alex Toth, Al Williamson, Bill Woggon, Wally Wood, and many others
* Such top artists and writers as Alan Moore, Frank Miller, Dave Gibbons, Grant Morrison, Jill Thompson, Jim Steranko, Moebius, Osamu Tezuka, Steve Gerber, Alfredo Alcala, Howard Chaykin, Louise Simonson, Walt Simonson, Jim Lee, Marc Silvestri, Mike Mignola, Matt Wagner, Art Adams, Michael Kaluta, Bill Sienkiewicz, Dave Stevens, Kyle Baker, Frank Thorne, Wendy and Richard Pini, Len Wein, Marv Wolfman, Roy Thomas, Chris Claremont, Mark Evanier, Alex Nino, Ernie Chan, Steve Rude, Elaine Lee, and Max Allan Collins, to name just a few
* Underground and alternative notables including Trina Robbins, S. Clay Wilson, Rick Griffin, Art Spiegelman, Francoise Mouly, Spain Rodriguez, Harvey Pekar, Melinda Gebbie, Victor Moscoso, Jack Jackson, Lee Marrs, Dori Seda, Gilbert Shelton, Carol Lay, Scott McCloud, Denis Kitchen, Larry Marder, Bob Burden, Arn Saba, the Hernandez Bros, and Robert Williams
* Big-name fans, editors, publishers, and behind-the scenes folks, from Jim Shooter, Archie Goodwin, Carol Kalish, Gary Groth, and Deni Loubert to Jerry Bails, Bill Blackbeard, Don & Maggie Thompson, & E. Nelson Bridwell
And it’s not just comic book folks. I’ll be including shots of
* Comic strip creators such as Charles Schulz, Dale Messick, Russ Manning, Milton Caniff, Burne Hogarth, Bil Keane, and Floyd Gottfredson
* Humor cartoonists such as Sergio Aragones, B. Kliban, Shary Flenniken, M. K. Brown, Scott Shaw!, Virgil Partch (VIP), Matt Groening
* Animation greats including Bob Clampett, Chuck Jones, Mel Blanc, June Foray, and Grim Natwick
* SF & fantasy authors, such as the great Ray Bradbury, Robert Heinlein, Harlan Ellison, Leigh Brackett, George R. R. Martin, Theodore Sturgeon, Clive Barker, Douglas Adams, Larry Niven, Walter Gibson, Jerry Pournelle, and many more
* Movie and TV celebrities including Bill Mumy, Mark Hamill, Walter Koenig, Brinke Stevens, Gary Owens, David Carradine, Miguel Ferrer, Bill Dana, and Kirk Alyn
And part of the fun will be the interesting combinations of people, from Jack Kirby conversing with Adam West to Jim Shooter sitting with Wally Wood.
Throughout the book I'll include commentary about the people and the photos.
ADDED BACKER REWARD!
At the $125 level, you will get Comic Book People Extra, a 36-page 7 x 10 booklet featuring choice photos from panels, parties, awards ceremonies, dealers' rooms, art auctions (with the artists creating the work on easels), and costume contests at conventions from the 1970s and 1980s. Those at the $300 level will get this booklet as well. Here are a couple of photos to whet your appetite for this juicy exclusive item!
JUST ADDED: EXCLUSIVE DUST JACKET!
A wrap-around dust jacket will be made solely for books for Kickstarter backers. All backers at the Friday Foster, Peter Parker, and Tintin levels will automatically get the wraparound dust jacket. Three levels have been added that include the dust jacket: Mike Nomad, Steve Roper and Paul Patton (the Fox). Those at the Julius Knipl level can add $20 to their pledge to get the dust jacket. The dust-jacketed version will be available nowhere else but here!
To make this book a reality, I will need to raise funds to cover the design, production, printing, distribution, shipping, and storage of a high-quality hardcover publication, as well as the cost of producing postcards and other perks. If the goal is surpassed, money will go toward increasing the number of pages (and photos!), upping the print run, and possibly adding a dust jacket for higher levels of backing.
Note that just for fun the backer levels are named after photographers from comic books and comic strips. Which one would you like to be?
I am open to suggestions for additional levels or perks—please let me know what would you like to see or get.
This book has something in it for every comics fan, and it offers many insights into the history of comics as well as some fascinating photos of your favorite creators. I hope you will help me realize my dream of combining my two favorites, comics and photography, by backing this project.
Risks and challenges
The goal is to have this book out in time for Comic-Con in San Diego in July, so that we can sell it at the Exhibit A Press booth. The printer needs the files by mid-May, so the main challenge is for me to go through all the high-resolution scans, select the photos for the book, and write the commentary over a three-month period. Fortunately, I have lined up a top book designer to handle the production on the book, and he has the time available to work on it.
Having done Kickstarter projects before with my husband's books for Exhibit A Press, I am familiar with what's involved in fulfilling pledges, and that experience should help me a lot with this project.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)