All kids deserve to lead a fulfilled life and that the tools to do so are out there. But we simply don’t learn most of these skills in school.
I believe this so much that I've dedicated the past 2 years of my life to closing this gap.
I’ve created and tested a life-enhancing course for tweens, and I hope you will join me in digitizing this course and spreading it far and wide so we can change the world, one child at a time – starting perhaps with your own.
My name is Sam Goodman. I am a dad and a lifelong entrepreneur.
When I was a kid, the path was 12 to 16 years of study – then graduating thinking we knew what we needed to do to lead a fulfilled life. Yet after a few short years, we realized life was a lot harder than we thought. Some may turn to self-help, others self-medicate, trying to fix what they think is broken….
That’s not a path, I wanted my daughter on.
Sourced Directly from Experts Over the past 2 years, I’ve compacted the learnings of hundred of experts*, tens of thousands of hours worth of scientific work in neurology, biology, psychology, genetics, and nutrition and turned it into a 20-hour course full of cool ideas a 10-year-old finds fun to learn.
In the process, I enrolled the help of teacher extraordinaire, Elaine Kinlough (she's in the video), to help ensure we baked in key 21st-century skills into the course.
Kid-Tested in the Real World In the spring of 2018 the Montessori School of Beijing, one of China’s most innovative international schools, offered the Fulfillment Source Code course to the school’s multinational 6th-grade class. The response was awesome!
Hear directly from kids that have taken the course: http://bit.ly/2Nf6ZXu
- FSC is a 20-hour interactive course for tweens (9-12-year-olds) that educates and empowers them to lead a fulfilled life.
- The course has been tested and is kid-and parent-approved.
- The content contains the fundamental scientific "Whys" humans should know to better their chances at leading a fulfilled life.
- These Whys are based on a million hours of hard science on neurology, biology, psychology, nutrition, and genetics.
- It’s filled with Discussion Questions and Follow-Up Projects to assure content is used actively and absorbed deeply, and lasts well beyond the course itself
- FSC is what I wish I was taught when I was 10 – as well as my assurance that my daughter will be better equipped than I was.
Teachers - Great classroom application. Students can learn together and apply lessons in real life.
- Parents - Excellent resource for providing the tools for a happier life for your child. Great jumping off point for family discussions and practical life lessons you can start applying immediately.
Tweens (9-12-year olds) - This age is the window when students are smart and mature enough to truly absorb the content while still free from the challenges of puberty (aka hormones).
- Let's skip the doom and gloom statistics about depression or suicide rates or opioid epidemic numbers and instead focus on the positive... FSC will absolutely increase your child's chances of leading a fulfilled life. How? It arms them with the evidence-based knowledge most adults don’t know and provides them tools that will serve them for the rest of their lives.
THEIR #1 Piece of Hardware – The Brain
- Why your brain is more suitable for life 50,000 years ago
- How your brain is like a jungle & How learning creates a path through your brain-jungle
- Why many pathways come pre-installed (factory settings) & Why some ancient survival tactics work against us now.
- Why 95% of brain activity happens automatically & Why our superpower is to adapt.
- How our interaction with the world physically changes our brain.
THEIR Software – The Mind
- Why they have 2 operating system, How their “Horse & Rider” interacts & How to improve the connection between them.
- Why most people are ruled by ‘Invisible Factors’ - aka cognitive biases & How these can be used against you
- Why your growth lies outside your comfort zone & How incredibly helpful failure can be.
THEIR Brain/Mind/Body Connection (it works both ways)
- Why & How to use the body to influence your mind and therefore your brain.
- How to calm down when too excited
- How to boost your energy when tired
- How to change negative nervousness into positive excitement.
- How to improve their focus & How to create winning habits.
- Techniques previously only used by professional athletes & How they can be used by them too.
My goal is to make FSC accessible worldwide and even more fun than it already is. Your funds will be used to digitize the FSC content into fully interactive whiteboard animations that will allow the course to be shared across the planet – and reach hundreds of thousands of kids at a critical juncture of their lives.
- MORE ACCESSIBLE - Whiteboard animation turns a simple lecture into a fun, illustrated story. They enhance student enjoyment and make it super easy for anyone to integrate the course into their class/discussion.
- EASIER DELIVERY - This format also ensures consistency of content presentation, whether your classroom is in Milwaukee or Mumbai, and whether the course director is a teacher or a parent at home.
- BETTER ABSORPTION - The interactive layer deepens students’ interactivity with the course, providing them with multiple methods of manipulating the content, thus reinforcing learning.
Technically, you don’t have to.
Nearly 100% of FSC course content from recognized experts. All I did was bring it together, weave it into an adventure, and made it fun for kids. Contributors include:
- Nobel Prize Winners
- 3 time Winner of the Science in Society Journalism Award
- Dean of the Rotman School of Management at the UofToronto
- Director of the Brain Center for Applied Learning Research at Seattle Pacific University
- Professor of Bioengineering at the University of Washington School of Medicine
- Professor and Social Cognitive Neuroscience Lab Director at UCLA
- Professor and Chair of the Department of Neurology at the Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania
- Founder one of the world's largest hedge funds.
Once we have reached our goal, we get right into digitizing the content.
- Re-recording all content using professional tools
- Editing and animating to improve the presentation
- Weaving source material links into the supporting video
- Incorporating the Interactive Layer
- Putting everything online and tweaking the app tech.
- Marketing to influential educators to maximize distribution and impact.
So what happens WHEN we exceed our goals?
FSC will go wide before we go deep.
Year 1 goal is for 100,000 kids to get access to the course. If the funding goal is exceeded, we'll use those funds to 100x the impact. We shall create an X-Prize-style challenge to the school that creates the BEST student-video of one of the FSC lessons.
Learning to teach is incredibly effective. Working in a team and practicing presentation skill, also important... and students-teaching-students is by far the most impactful way to learn.
If Elon Musk can create a prize to build a reusable rocket, FSC can create a prize for students to teach students how to increase their chances at leading a fulfilled life
Risks and challenges
We want all children, everywhere, to live a fulfilled life… what could possibly go wrong? In a nutshell, there are 4 most likely challenges:
1. Death or injury. Those would definitely slow the re-recording process.
• While unlikely, this is a small team, and it's always possible that something could happen to one of us. That said, the initial classes were audiotaped and transcribed.
• We have a team precisely to create strength beyond what any one of us could create. In the event of something getting in the way of completing the project, we are all committed to pulling together, taking up the slack, and ensuring this project gets done. Period.
2. Can FSC Deliver? Yes. Absolutely.
• The sources are outstanding, the classes have already been delivered, kid-tested and recorded.
• Taking what we have learned, we will tighten the delivery, make the recording better, add some whiteboard animations and ensure teachers/parents can access it easily (not rocket-surgery)
• Putting the content together as a cohesive fun adventure for kids was complex. Digitizing the content is neither complex nor complicated.
• We have experience with the animation process.
3. Things will cost more and takes longer than planned. Oh, it will.
• Digitizing 20 hours of content, if pushed, could be done in 3 months. It should take 6 months to do it well. Let’s say 9 months.
• This is a course; we’ll release the content as it’s ready (like a podcast vs a movie).
Is there some other potential issue you're wondering about?
If you're wondering, others probably are, too! We'd appreciate it if you'd email it to us at Sam@fulfillmentsourcecode.com right now and I'll personally make sure it gets answered for you.
Remember, between us, we have over 35 years of startup & teaching experience delivering and getting things done. The real hard work has already been delivered and we have already put years of passion and research into making sure this project is a success.
If you would like to see FSC change the world, as much as we would, then pick your reward level now and we look forward to making it happen with you. Thanks for your support!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (18 days)