In a world where we are divided and tend to focus on what we know, there is beauty in the unknown and foreign.
The process of co-writing has taught me this lesson in its purest way. After writing over 30 collaborative songs, I picked 10 songs, about coming together, overcoming and growing, that are truly amazing. With your help, I would like to share them with the world.
Hi, my Name is Michelle Ariane and I am a Swiss - American Songwriter writing and singing from Los Angeles. After an amazingly successful Kickstarter Campaign, thanks to all my lovely family, friends and fans, I had the chance to release my first EP (listen here) and it's been played on the radio in the US and in Switzerland! I of course continue to write and now have a new project I want to share with you:
I spent all of 2018 writing songs with talented songwriters, whose songs and stories inspired me. We wrote love songs, sad songs, political songs, angry songs - anything that came out of us at the time.
And I saw something beautiful happen:
In a world where we are divided and tend to focus on what we know, there is beauty in the unknown and foreign. In the process of co-writing I learned that, when I go out there and meet people (sometimes perfect strangers), sit down with them, truly magical creations can happen. The song has more nuance and a deeper story, thanks to having a diverse input and vision given by the vulnerability of the writing TEAM.
Songs written by alone, are worth telling, but songs written with co-writers can gain depths, facets and ways of storytelling that were previously undiscovered, which made the whole song meaningful and richer.
With your help I would like to record 10 of the over 30 songs written. I have the producer and sound engineer in Nashville with all the musicians we need lined up, ready to hit the record button.
Who are these amazing people I worked with you wonder? Well that's a good question! Let me tell you about them in one short sentence (challenge accepted!)
- Alfa: This wonderful multi talented singer songwriter writes songs with wonderful imageries created through her thoughtful choice of words and melody. We bonded over wine while talking about social norms, culture shock and politics - and I loved every minute of it. When the two of us write together, it sometimes feels like a Vulcan mindmeld - we're on the same wavelength through the entire process - nothing to hide.
- Chloë Agnew:It's hard to know where to begin when it comes to Chloë. She has a voice that is out of this world and is one of the most genuine people I've met. Her songwriting knowledge is like going through a musical jukebox and always finding even more than what you expected.
- Karen Dezelle: Has taught me what it is to be vulnerable and honest with my songwriting. She always tells it how it is and isn't scared of her truth to be heard. Writing with Karen has opened me up as a songwriter and a human.
- Kira Hooks: I've known Kira for almost 7 years now and have only recently had the pleasure of writing with her for the first time. Her romantic and bittersweet themes have roots in Jazz, soul and Latin. She somehow merges all those genres into one: Kira.
- Shinji Kaneko: I met Shinji while he was visiting the US from Japan and we endend up writing together as an exercise in a course. Write with someone you haven't met yet to a silent movie scene in ONE HOUR. We did and it was magical! Feeling super blessed to have had the chance to meet this guy!
- Casey Sakima and I got along from the get go. We organised a songwriting weekend together in November. We're both big believers in bringing people together through a musical experience. Which is probably why writing with im came as second nature to me.
- Sheldon Botler: Sheldon, Sheldon, Sheldon.... Talk about a brilliant, multi talented guy! His vocal runs are out of this world, his inner shine is bright and his songwriting ear simply inspiring.
- Jackie Desage: I met Jackie Desage at a Songwriting Class in Burbank. This was another, very blind, co-write that turned something so foreign into familiar and beautiful.
- Sophie Ilys and I met and bonded over our love of making a home in a foreign land. Not only is she an incredibly talented songwriter but also super entrepreneurial - check out her Flight of Voices
- Kyle: I met him through Jackie and am so grateful for the introduction. Kyle's writing is diverse, vulnerable and honest.
As some of you might now, I am moving back to Switzerland in the Fall of 2019. This means, that I’ll be building and establishing myself in Switzerland and won’t have time to record new music for at least 2 years.
This is why I would like to record a full - length album while I am still in the US and can work with great people in the industry that I got to know here.
What Is Needed & What You Get
My last album(EP) was the launch into my music career and it entailed 6 songs. The idea was, to create songs, to show the diversity I was capable of as a singer and a songwriter. We put in a lot of nuance to the orchestration and the production to elaborate on that diversity. Beautiful Angel cost $15’000 to create. And your help covered an amazing 2/3rd of that cost.
This time I'm asking YOU to be my record label.
You decide, how many songs I'm going to record; I need $5000 to record, mix and master 3 songs. However I am able to record every additional song for $1’100/ song.
With your support I'm hoping to record a full album with 10 songs, for which we need to raise $12'000. The reason this album has a lower cost, entails the location of where it will be recorded (Nashville) and my approach to the recording process. I guarantee you, that the quality level will remain the same as before.
Once we meet our goal of $5000 I will definitely record 3 songs - But I know that we can hit that goal of $ 12'700. We are the grassroots movement, and we've done it before.
My Hope is to be able to record 10 songs to share with YOU.
I am a big believer in pie charts (one of the perks of being raised by a bookkeeper!) I want you to know exactly where the money is going. The majority of the funds (65%) go to the musicians and the producer for giving their talent to the project. The other 35% will set aside for studio time, manufacturing, artwork and the platform fees that go to Kickstarter.
Other Ways You Can Help
I am thankful for any and all support you can provide. Share it on your social media, tell your friends about it, go live on Facebook / Instagram and tell them why you believe in this project.
Feel free to make all kinds of noise about this campaign - I will be eternally grateful. :) I am thankful for any and all support you can provide. Share it on your social media, tell your friends about it, go live on Facebook / Instagram and tell them why you believe in this project.
Feel free to make all kinds of noise about this campaign - I will be eternally grateful. :)
In my last Kickstarter you showed me that we can get anything done, when we ask, and get together. I honestly was taken by the huge support of each and everyone of you, and deeply moved when we reached our goal.At first I was hesitant, not sure if anyone would join me for a second time around - but YOU have supported me so far and asked for more music - so here we go. Let's prove that we can do it again!
It's time! We're gonna take a deep breath and launch this campaign. I am inviting you in to make my full length album a reality. Thank you thank you thank you sooo much in advance, from the bottom of my heart. Let’s make a record together!!!!
Love, Michelle Ariane
P.S. – If you’ve never heard my music before, here are a few links to check out:
For the people who want to know what I've been up to:
The most recent news is that I just recently found out that “Silver Bullet (Bridge the Great Divide)” a song I wrote with my friend Alfa Garcia, got an Honorable Mention in the Women’s Freedom Song contest, an international competition for songs that celebrate the power of women. This is one of the songs I want to put on the new record! It got an honorable mention, being submitted as a demo recording - imagine what we could do with a professional version!
In regards to the previous album; After the release of Beautiful Angel, I had an amazing time promoting the album and sharing it with people around the world. Some newspapers even wrote an article about it. To read more see bellow:
Risks and challenges
Life is a rollercoaster of risks and challenges. I promise you this is a small one:
My last Album was already recorded and simply needed mixing and mastering. With your help I was able to do that, and as promised followed through with everything we had hoped to accomplish. I promise to do the same again, this time around.
For this Album I will be going to Nashville to record with Marc Lacuesta. He's already hired the musicians and we're ready to hit record. We will be recording this May.
It's up to you, how many songs you would like to hear :)Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (37 days)