About this project
A new Fate Core supplement from Occult Moon president Quinn Conklin. Created and co-written by Emlyn Freeman, co-written by Jennifer R. Povey.
The year is 1575, in the reign of Elizabeth I. All of Europe is eager to find new lands, new sources of fame and wealth, and belief in myth and legend is still alive. STRANGE VOYAGES will tell the story of a grand ship and a crew gathered from the furthest reaches of known geography. Their travels take them to lands that no one has ever recorded: a sea made of gravel and sand; the mythical country of Faerie; the Cyclopes' caves; and even venturing into the land of dreams.
The mood of Strange Voyages is one of high adventure and exploration, a fusion of classical mythology, swashbuckling action, and Star Trek on the high seas. However, along with the explorations come dangers, primarily in conflict with the tyrannical kings of Atlantis, who have ruled over many hidden mythological lands for millennia. The ship itself is not free from conflict, as religions, cultures, and sexes clash at the rise of the modern age.
Strange Voyages is a setting for the award-winning Fate Core roleplaying game. Combined with a copy of Fate Core (available as a pay-what-you-like pdf from evilhat.com), it provides all the rules you’ll need to turn your Fate Core game into a swashbuckling adventure in the lands of legend. Additionally, it provides background information about the Renaissance world, its sailors and the many worlds of legend, as well as a toolbox that will allow you to make any kind of legendary adventure you can imagine.
Strange Voyages Features
- Complete rules for ship creation and ship-to-ship combat and chases
- 16 archetypes, from captain to scholar to witch, allowing for quick-play character creation.
- 9 legendary nations filled with creatures of myth—cyclops and fae, jotun and djinni—to both serve as player characters and populate your world.
- 12 templates of legendary monsters, allowing you to quickly adapt the example creatures in the book into your own fierce foes.
- Complete rules on magical extras specifically designed to mimic the magic and powers that appear in myth and legend.
- Information on the world of sailors and of Renaissance Europe
Allocation of Funds
The money we raise will go towards cover art by Juan Ochoa, a map, printing costs, a soundtrack by Richard Freeman-Toole to play during your game sessions, and a pittance for our hardworking creative team.
Stretch goals will include more art, more music, and short stories set in the Strange Voyages universe written by the authors.
Race to funding:
If the project funds in the first 48 hours, every backer who pledges at the $15 level or higher will also get a collection of four short stories set in the world of Strange Voyages.
First up is:
- $5000: Original art to beautify our book by our cover artist Juan Ochoa and other talented artists.
- $5,500: 10(!) 5,000-word short stories written by the creative team and other talented writers. These short stories will be set in the Strange Voyages universe and will be included digitally with every pledge level that includes the pdf!
- $6000: A set of custom Fudge dice (with compass roses as the +'s and daggers as the -'s) to all US backers who are ordering a physical book!
- $6500: Dice AND stories!
Music: Here are samples of the music tracks by Richard Freeman-Toole:
- The Heroic Beginning
- The Majesty of the Queen's Court
- The Sea Battle
- An Encounter with Magical Wonders
When complete, each track will be five minutes in length and composed to loop smoothly, so that you can play "The Sea Battle" on repeat for the entirety of your conflict!
Art: Although Juan has not finished any pieces for us yet, these are some samples of the kind of work he'll be doing for Strange Voyages. Click each one to see it full-size!
Layout: And here are a couple pages to show our layout (please note that this is not the final product). Click through to see the full pages.
Risks and challenges
Text: Strange Voyages’s text is complete, and has already gone through editing, layout, and playtesting passes. However, we are going to be asking you for further playtesting and proofreading throughout the Kickstarter and the two months following. We have budgeted the three months after the campaign ends to make these changes so do not foresee any final editing impacting the delivery of the finished project.
Art: Our artists will not start working until we know our exact needs--something we will not know until the end of the Kickstarter when the exact art budget is defined. Creating art takes time, but they will be working away while we put the finishing touches on the text and we foresee no problems with art being completed by the time we have received and made changes based on the playtest data.
Printing: We will be using DrivethruRPG ( http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/ ) for all our printing and fulfilment on our unsigned print products. They have a proven track record for both speed and reliability and so we foresee few problems on the printing end of the process.
Shipping: Shipping is expensive these days and can be slow. Also, things get lost. Don't worry, replacements will be sent if that happens, but this might push back the arrival of your print copy of Strange Voyages. However, this won’t affect your pdf copy!
Finances: Occult Moon is a small company but we feel that we have estimated the costs of the project adequately. We then padded that estimate slightly to provide a safe bumper against possible cost overruns. In an effort to avoid such overages, we are limiting shipping to the US.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)